Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Present Windows" as mouse button shortcut

Question "Present Windows" as mouse button shortcut

Hi!

Can anyone tell me how I can set the top button on my mouse to be a shortcut for the desktop effect "Present Windows"? I have a Logitech MX900 mouse and the button I'm talking about is the one on the top that looks like two overlapping rectangles.
    See picture here: ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

Thanks!

Default Re: "Present Windows" as mouse button shortcut

I do not know the answer. But I do know what is missing in your post. Please tell which level of openSUSE and which desktop (KDE, Gnome, ...) you are using.
    I know some people will simply not answer such a question where even this basic info is missing.
    Henk van Velden

Also if you're using KDE are you using Kwin or Compiz? If you're using Gnome you're using Compiz.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Sorry about the lack of info guys! I'm on KDE 4.4 on OpenSUSE 11.3. I'm using KWin, not compiz, and also the OSS radeon video drivers. Now, any thoughts on how to do it?

Try going to Configure Desktop (Personal Settings)>Desktop Effects>All Effects>Present Windows and click the wrench icon next to it. Down at the bottom is Activation. Here you can set the shortcut for Present Windows. Just choose which Present Windows you want to activate and then choose Custom and then click where it says None and it will change to Input. Click the mouse button you want to use and click ok. Hopefully it uses the mouse button. I tried with the middle mouse button and it wouldn't accept it. Hopefully your extra button will be accepted.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by ijbreakey View Post
    Try going to Configure Desktop (Personal Settings)>Desktop Effects>All Effects>Present Windows and click the wrench icon next to it. Down at the bottom is Activation. Here you can set the shortcut for Present Windows. Just choose which Present Windows you want to activate and then choose Custom and then click where it says None and it will change to Input. Click the mouse button you want to use and click ok. Hopefully it uses the mouse button. I tried with the middle mouse button and it wouldn't accept it. Hopefully your extra button will be accepted.

Take Care,

Ian
    Thanks for your response, but that didn't work. It seems like it only accepts keyboard commands as an option. Any other ideas?

I have mine set to trigger when I move to the lower left corner.

Also you may have to make a xorg.conf file to recognize the non standard mouse buttons. Button maps are tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    I have mine set to trigger when I move to the lower left corner.

Also you may have to make a xorg.conf file to recognize the non standard mouse buttons. Button maps are tricky.
    Hi! I have set mine to trigger at the top left corner, but I was thinking that it wouldn't be bad to have a mouse button shortcut to it. Maybe it's to difficult for me to achieve, though... I don't know much about editing config files etc. I like nice little GUIs for that. Thanks for your help y'all!

I found the config file last night and tried editing it to do something with the middle mouse button but it didn't work. You can try if you want but you have to figure out what the button press is called when you press that button on your mouse. The config file is at /home/username/.kde4/share/config/kglobalshortcutsrc

Look for the Kwin section and you're going to want to change one of these three:

Code:
    Expose=Ctrl+F9,Ctrl+F9,Toggle Present Windows (Current desktop)
    ExposeAll=Ctrl+F10,Ctrl+F10,Toggle Present Windows (All desktops)
    ExposeClass=Ctrl+F7,Ctrl+F7,Toggle Present Windows (Window class)
    The first key combo is where you have to make the change to change the custom key combo.

Take Care,

Ian

If anyone else is interested in seeing this happen in the future, please vote here. It is feature "#310265 "Present Windows" effect as mouse button shortcut" on OpenFATE.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast