openSUSE 11.3 - kde 4.5 SC system tray icons same as kde 4.4

hello, made a fresh installation of openSUSE 11.3 64 bit, and upgraded to kde 4.5 rc and then to rc2. however, on both the occasions, the system tray icons look as they looked in kde 4.4. however, the functionality has changed as it should be in kde 4.5, but the look of the icons hasn’t. deleting the .kde4 folder from the home directory didn’t work either.

although, the kde 4.5 look was working well when i upgraded to it from openSUSE 11.2.

anyone has the same issue or knows a workaround?

Try installing the upstream branding. That should get the new icons working.

Take Care,

Ian

thanks, ian

replaced the branding except for the kdm, but it didn’t work… and i didn’t have to change the branding when i upgraded in 11.2…

best wishes

thanks, ian

replaced the branding except for the kdm, but it didn’t work… and i didn’t have to change the branding when i upgraded in 11.2…

best wishes

Have you tried deleting the .kde4 folder then logging out and back in after switching to upstream branding?

I usually do this by logging off, then hitting ctrl+alt+f1 to get to tty1.

Then log in as yourself, not root, and type:

rm -r /home/yourusername/.kde4

Don’t forget the .kde4 or else it will delete your home directory!

Then I type exit and then hit ctrl+alt+f7 to get back to the GUI log in screen.

Take Care,

Ian

didn’t work… tried all these things already

Hmmm. I’m at a loss then. Usually mine switch over to the KDE 4.5 SC icons when I upgrade too. When you installed the upgrade did you use zypper or Yast? If you used yast did you make sure to use the Switch All System Packages To This Repository feature?

Take Care,

Ian

Make sure you do this
ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

yes, used yast and made the switch using “switch all system packages to this repo”… and normally, such things take care of themselves… are you also on 11.3 64 using kde 4.5 sc? maybe there is another folder which needs to be refreshed…

I have not updated to 4.5

Please feb8born, next time please post in the Prerelease/Beta forums when you want to question about levels still not released in openSUSE. More change for you that you meet other testers there. Also less change that people using the official levels will get confused.

I have switched to it on my Desktop since I have an Nvidia card and the blur effect works with it. But changed back since it kept freezing up the whole computer. On the occasion that I had it updated to 4.5 SC the icons were working fine until I changed my theme. So it SHOULD be working. Not sure how you’re getting different results. My desktop is 64-bit Intel Core 2 Quad as you can see in my signature.

Take Care,

Ian

In KDE 4.5 the functionality of the system try changes (among other things the arrow icon to expand the tray is moved from the left point right, to the right pointing up)

Its a new systray try plasmoid.
To bring back old functionality, search and install plasmoid-systrayAlt
Remove the new Systray by right clicking and removing it (Best idea is to go into properties first, and uncheck everything, so it holds no apps)
and then place the systrayalt plasmoid in its place.

fyi: after updating to kde 4.5 sc final version, everything is as it should be :slight_smile: