Thread: 11.3 : KDE resources & Akonadi calendar

Default 11.3 : KDE resources & Akonadi calendar

Hi there,

A quick post for a stupid problem : I can't get Kontact to get my google calendar because I can't add my akonadi configured google calendar to the KDE resources.

Akonadi runs fine (so says the "test" button). I created a google calendar ("akonadi_gcal_resource_3"). No problems.
    Then I want to add it as a KDE resource : (my version is in french, so forgive me if the menu is not correctly translated here) System configuration -> advanced tab -> KDE Resources. In the scrolling menu, I choose calendar, hit "add", select the first item ("Akonadi (provides an access to the calendar stored blablabla").
    That's were it becomes strange : I get a new window (Resources configuration - System Configuration) where a list of the available calendars is supposed to be displayed. It says that if the list is empty, I might have to add a calendar source by clicking on "manage the calendar sources".
    Since my calendar list is actually empty, I do that. A new window pops up, with my "akonadi_gcal_resource_3", but whatever I do, it won't add it to the list of the previous window. If I click add, I will create a new akonadi calendar (which I won't be able to add to the list, as with the existing one). If I click "modify" it will ask me again for my login and password for the google calendar, then saying that they are incorrect until I restart the akonadi server. If I click delete, it ... deletes the calendar. And, enventually, if I click "close", it closes this window, bringing me back to the previous one, without having added any calendar at all to this bloody list.

I managed to get it once, pretty much randomly, but since there has been a libcal update, I had to delete my akonadi calendar cause it wouldn't sync anymore, and I'm stuck again ...

Any help would be much appreciated ...

Cheers,

Antoine

Default Re: 11.3 : KDE resources & Akonadi calendar

Ok folks.
    I managed to get it done yesterday by double-right-clicking on my "akonadi_gcal_resource_3" in the widow that pops up when you press the "manage the calendar resources" button. Strange, but it did add it to the list of available calendars ...

HTH,

Akoine
    OpenSUSE 13.1 x64 on a Asrock H87 Performance, 8Go RAM, Intel core i5 4670, GTX 670. Dual boot Windows 8.1, two separate hard drives.

i puzzled over this too and like you managed to get it added, but haven't been able to make it sync. I can see it trying to contact , but it never returns anything.

there was a selection area in the setup that gave some choices (seems like it was iCard or vCard) which i had no idea and went with the default.

if you finally got yours working, what setting did you use for this parameter?

Quote Originally Posted by j_xavier View Post
    i puzzled over this too and like you managed to get it added, but haven't been able to make it sync. I can see it trying to contact , but it never returns anything.

there was a selection area in the setup that gave some choices (seems like it was iCard or vCard) which i had no idea and went with the default.

if you finally got yours working, what setting did you use for this parameter?
    To me, vcard sounds like a contact resource thing, not a calendar. As to the settings I used (for my calendar), I also choose the default one : "Akonadi" ... It asked for a username (saying it would automatically add the "@gmail" at the end) and a password.

This said, my solution is not perfect : presently, each time I try to modify or add a contact, or my calendar, Kontact freezes ... I suppose there is a mess between Kontact and Akonadi.

HTH,

AKoine
    OpenSUSE 13.1 x64 on a Asrock H87 Performance, 8Go RAM, Intel core i5 4670, GTX 670. Dual boot Windows 8.1, two separate hard drives.

A quick post to say that I recently upgraded my 11.3 to KDE 4.5.5/Kontact 4.4.9, and that it didn't solve the problem, which I find very frustrating : I can create the calendar, I can see it in the pop-up window, but can't find a way to add it to the calendar sources !
    This time, if I double right click on it, it's like I clicked on the "modify" button : I have to retype my login and password ...

Any idea ?

Cheers,

Antoine

I had problems with this when initially configuring Akonadi Google resources.

The solution I found was to change KDE's Proxy Setting. In System Settings|Network Settings|Proxy change Automatically detect proxy configuration to Connect to the Internet directly.

This overcomes the login failure and should allow the resource to synchronise.

Regards,
    Neil Darlow
    Registered Linux user #122512. Desktop Linux user for 17 years.
    Asus Eee 900: 900MHz Celeron, 1GB RAM, 12GB SSD, 915GM, openSUSE-current+Tumbleweed
    Home-built Desktop: Athlon II X2 3.3GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB SATA, GeForce G210, openSUSE-12.1-x86_64, KDE-4.7.2

Ok.
    I upgraded to 11.4, and I still do have the very same problem. Except that now instead of System configuration -> advanced tab -> KDE Resources it's System Configuration -> personal data (or information, I don't know how it's translated in english).
    I did a screenshot to sum up the problem : how do I manage to add the calendar displayed in the far right window in the one in the middle ??
    http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/1344/cran11.jpg

NB : this applies as well to akonadi google contacts.

Thanks,

Antoine

Question Re: 11.3 : KDE resources & Akonadi calendar

Did you manage to solve it? I face exactly the same problem as you do.

Interesting detail: KMail offers address auto completion based on my GroupDAV contacs, so the Akonadi address book is obviously working. BUT the address book is empty when I open it, the same as my calendar is.

Did you manage to solve it?
    Nope

Glad to see that I'm not the only one having this issue though. It makes me feel a little less dumb.
    AAMOF I feel completely useless : there MUST be a way to do it, it seems to me like they just forgot to add a "add this resource" button on the last window!
    I use gcaldaemon in the meantime, but that's stupid : people have developed apparently powerful and well integrated tools ...

I posted on KDE french forum, to no avail. I'll try on the english one.
    Let us know if you find any lead on this ...
    Last edited by AKoine; 12-Apr-2011 at 01:43. Reason: typo