11.3 kde freezes up all the time, presumably gfx chip related

my new 11.3 installation appears to be completely unusable for mission critical work

it’s running/freezing on a Toshiba a300 laptop, intel 965gm gfx, using the drivers that where installed by 11.3

whenever the unstoppable screen/monitor saver kicks in, it freezes the machine irrecoverably.
same as: 11.3 kde constant lock ups

the unstoppable screen/monitor saver has been a pain in the neck in 11.2 too, is it possible to COMPLETELY REMOVE any code that will make the gfx go on standby? what a pain when you are watching a movie! disabling everything obvious never worked! wtf?

Hi folks,
I couldn’t edit the original mail.
This is how it should have read:

Hi, I have been using Suse since 10.3, now with 11.3 I am experiencing some highly unusual BS:

my new 11.3 installation appears to be completely unusable for mission critical work

it’s running/freezing on a Toshiba a300 laptop, intel 965gm gfx, using the drivers that where installed by 11.3

whenever the unstoppable screen/monitor saver kicks in, it freezes the machine irrecoverably.
same as: 11.3 kde constant lock ups

the unstoppable screen/monitor saver has been a pain in the neck in 11.2 too, is it possible to COMPLETELY REMOVE any code that will make the gfx go on standby? what a pain when you are watching a movie! disabling everything obvious never worked! wtf?

the problem occurs when video on either flash on firefox or vlc on its own run in full screen mode

I have the same problem on my Asus EEE PC 1000HE.
I was thinking it was the EEE-control deamon, but the gfx would make sense too.
I’ve got a intel GFX, not sure what model exactly, but it should be pretty standard for the EEE series.

Bad intel drivers…

Same Problem here. Have a Medion MD96290 with Intel GMA. There where no Problems like this with SUSE 11.2 but now the complete machine freezes after a few minutes on full screen. Would be great if anyone can help, otherwise i’m forced to keep all videos in a small window which is ridiculous.

You should all read this thread:

oS 11.3 freezes randomly on atom/intel 945

Thanks mate, much appreciated! :good:
At least they’re working on it.
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=615649
the comment #45 solution supposedly works, but I’ll wait for the official fix