Unable to mount/view partitions through Konqueror

I am using openSUSE 11.3

On the Desktop, I double click “My Computer” and Konqueror goes to sysinfo:/

I then try to click on one of my partitions (ones that are already mounted or ones that are not).

I am greeted with the error;
There is no application installed that can open files of the type block device (inode/blockdevice).
Do you want to try to install one?

It goes through the repo and finds nothing.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I love openSUSE and this one error is the only thing keeping me from being able to use this release.

I fail to see how this would keep you from using it. Just open Dolphin to browse. Going through sysinfo is an odd way to browse.

This sounds like a bug but it could be a bad install. Did you tun the media check before the install. And is it a new install or an update?

I’ve never tried to open anything using sysinfo but I’ve never had any problem viewing mounted partitions or devices using Konqueror. One possibility is that you have not got the device notifier configured. This did not appear to inherit the 11.2 settings when I installed 11.3 and I had to configure it.

It seems that in 11.3 the sysinfo of Konqureror (on this subject) points to the block device special file of the partition (like /dev/sdc1). When you click on it, as usual, Konqueror tries to find an applic thatis associated to the type of file (like gwenvie for a JPEG, or konqueror for an HTML, amarok for an MP3, etc), but non is defined (not strange because only root can access these files, so why configure something for the end-user). And it says so in the error message.

And of course the normal way of using mounted file systems in a Unix/Linux OS is forgetting that it is a different partition, but simply walking to it through the directory tree. This starting from mountpoints seems to be a leftover from those who used MD Windows for a considarable tiime.

I have eSATA drives hooked up to this machine in addition to being in a dual boot with Windows 7. I don’t want to have to mount them with the terminal every boot. I thought the sys info will auto mount it for me when I click on the drive. Is there another way to get my drives to mount through a simple gui or a shell script I could right that will do this for me?

So I dropped this in a VM on my windows7 for now to wait for an update or until I find a work around.

So when I mouse over any partition in sys info, it shows the path incorrectly I think.

For example, my home directory is listed as being “file:///dev/sda3” and my root root partition as “file:///dev/sda2”.

I hope this additional info of what’s going on will help.

I just want an easy way to have everything be mounted when I boot, or mounted via a gui when I click on them, it’s a pain to have to mount everything manually as I switch between OS’s often.

Thanks to everyone that has replied.

Not it done it for a while but, if my memory serves me correctly, you should be able to enter the Expert Partitioner and add a mount point for any partition that does not currently have a mount point and simply save and exit without doing anything else.

As you can always Cancel without doing anything, it may be worth a look. You will need to choose sensible names for the partitions.

For example, my home directory is listed as being “file:///dev/sda3” and my root root partition as “file:///dev/sda2”.

That is exactly what I said allready. Except that I doubt that it is your home directory (which would be* /home/<your-username>*), but I think it is your /home file sytem on it’s on partition. And I also think that that is allready mounted, else you could not even log in!

Show the output of

cat /etc/fstab

and

mount

And for you oiwn information about partitions, file systems and mounting read some of SDB:Basics of partitions, filesystems, mount points - openSUSE

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-VBOX_HARDDISK_VB7529ef2c-f89bc19c-part1 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-VBOX_HARDDISK_VB7529ef2c-f89bc19c-part2 /                    ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-VBOX_HARDDISK_VB7529ef2c-f89bc19c-part3 /home                ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 2
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0

/dev/sda2 on / type ext4 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,mode=1777)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
/dev/sda3 on /home type ext4 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
none on /proc/fs/vmblock/mountPoint type vmblock (rw)

This shows a rather normal system, with a disk having three partitiona, one used for swap, one with an ext4 file system mounted on / and one with an ext4 file system mounted as /home. I do not see any strange things here, / is mounted of course (else you would not have a system) and your /home is also mounted (as I said, because else you could not login).
I do not understand why you want to click on them in sysinfo. What is the expected usage of this clicking?

When you say you see in sysinfo also partions that are not mounted, can you show what they are with the output of:

fdisk -l

When we find those partitions there and know what type of file system is on them and where you want them mounted, we can crate entries in /etc/fstab for them. When you have read in the SDB page I provided you a link for, you will understand that when they are in /etc/fstab, they will be mounted on every boot from then on.

I don’t have the other external drives connected right now. I removed that install and made a VM. So in this VM, openSUSE is the only OS on the VHD.
I had to run fdisk as root.

linux-nn61:/home/keljaden # fdisk -1
fdisk: invalid option -- '1'

Usage:
 fdisk [options] <disk>    change partition table
 fdisk [options] -l <disk> list partition table(s)
 fdisk -s <partition>      give partition size(s) in blocks

Options:
 -b <size>                 sector size (512, 1024, 2048 or 4096)
 -c                        switch off DOS-compatible mode
 -h                        print help
 -u <size>                 give sizes in sectors instead of cylinders
 -v                        print version
 -C <number>               specify the number of cylinders
 -H <number>               specify the number of heads
 -S <number>               specify the number of sectors per track

linux-nn61:/home/keljaden # fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 8589 MB, 8589934592 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1044 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00001d26

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1         191     1532928   82  Linux swap / Solaris
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2   *         191         845     5245952   83  Linux
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda3             845        1045     1608704   83  Linux
linux-nn61:/home/keljaden # 

I hope that’s the output you wanted.

I did read the link. So what command should I use to obtain the output that will help me make the proper entries to my openSUSE install so they drives will run at boot.

If I need to make the full install to my hdd (and not just the VM) I can do that as well. Just tell me what I need to do.

Thanks so much for your help. I am still learning and your help/links go a long way.

You could have left out where you used the* -1*. How could you do that? I never saw a computer changing a* 1 *into an *l *using copy/paste?

The the output of fdisk -l. It shows that you have but one disk and that it has the three partitions we allready saw (Swap, / and /home). And those three fil the disk from the begin to the end. So there are no more partitions on sda.

And there is no sdb, sdc or whatever, thus there are no other disks.

Are you realy sure there are other disks on your system? Because the system does not see them.

This is the output for a VM (with no additional disks). It still gives me the same error during a full system install that has multiple disks. Until I find that this error is fixed, I do not want to make a complete install. Perhaps I will make a video showing my error, upload it to youtube, and show it to you.

Okay, just download opensuse again and installed. The problem still existed. Ran the updates. Problem went away. My issue was a bug (as I thought) that they recently fixed…

Not sure how to close this thread, but it can be closed now.

Thanks for the help. +rep to you guys.