X server fails in runlevel 5

I recently updated from OS 11.2 to OS 11.3 and right after that had problems with my X.org server.

If started with normal settings X crashes in runlevel 5, so right at the end of the boot process.

If started with x11debug option X works, However I cannot use wine with this option.

boot.msg (no debug options):

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

I don’t even have an idea how to look for the problem, but there must be some feature that causes X to crash, which is not included in the debug-mode.

Did you add nomodeset to the boot argument and do
the System/Kernel option NO_KMS_IN_INITRD from “No” to “Yes” in the /etc/sysconfig Editor in Yast.
Try booting in Failsafe first, it has the nomodeset option in it’s arguments already.

I hadn’t set these options, yet, but I tried and they couldn’t solve my problem.

My failsafe option doesn’t include that nomodeset option, but it starts the X server with limited options as I said already. The option responsible for this is x11failsafe not x11debug as I called it earlier.

My failsafe mode:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.12-0.2-desktop root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_HM120JI_S09GJ30LB62942-part2 showopts ide=nodma apm=off noresume edd=off powersaved=off nohz=off highres=off processor.max_cstate=1 x11failsafe vga=0x367

Adding nomodeset to my normal boot option unfortunately didn’t do the trick.

That kernel is not 11.3

That kernel is not 11.3

Well spotted Carl!

I recently updated from OS 11.2 to OS 11.3 and right after that had problems with my X.org server.

I think you need to tell us more about how you upgraded, and maybe provide the output of

zypper lr -d

Wow, never saw that …

Well, I replaced all Repositories from 11.2 with the ones from 11.3, than

zypper update

Here is the output from zypper lr -d

| Alias | Name | Aktiviert | Aktualisieren | Priorität | Typ | URI | Dienst

–±----------------------±----------------------±----------±--------------±----------±-------±----------------------------------------------------------------±------
1 | ftp.skynet.be-suse | Packman Repository | Ja | Ja | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/packman/suse/11.2 |
2 | google-chrome | google-chrome | Ja | Ja | 99 | rpm-md | http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/x86_64 |
3 | openSUSE-11.3-Debug | openSUSE-11.3-Debug | Nein | Ja | 99 | yast2 | Index of /debug/distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
4 | openSUSE-11.3-Non-Oss | openSUSE-11.3-Non-Oss | Ja | Ja | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/non-oss |
5 | openSUSE-11.3-Source | openSUSE-11.3-Source | Nein | Ja | 99 | yast2 | Index of /source/distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
6 | openSUSE-11.3-Update | openSUSE-11.3-Update | Ja | Ja | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.3 |
7 | openSUSE_11.3-0 | openSUSE 11.3-0 | Ja | Ja | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/oss |

I’ll try obtain the new kernel now.

You need to delete (or adjust) that Packman repo - its for 11.2!

Usually you would use

zypper dup

for this type of upgrade.

Oh, ****, thank you.

Outlined here:

SDB:System upgrade - openSUSE

Good luck. :smiley:

OK it works now.

Turns out the command line update doesn’t recognize some of the updates or cannot find an update strategy. The GUI-Software-Management however does, so I got all the missing packages including the kernel. Hope my next update will work better.

Thanks to everyone who helped me.

Thread can be closed.