Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: menu font colour on GTK apps in KDE

Default menu font colour on GTK apps in KDE

Opensuse 11.3 with kde 4.4.xx

Having a problem with the menu font colour in GTK apps (firefox & thunderbird).

All menus in all other apps have the correct font colour (black) but as you can see in this screenshot the font colour is white for thunderbird.

The only way I can find to change the text to black is to change in Configure Desktop > Appearance > Colours
    The setting for "selected text" to black.

Now I could be wrong - but I am pretty sure this should not be the setting that effects the menu colour in GTK apps.

Here are the colour settings I presently have

Anybody have any idea on how to correct this?
    Did not have this issue in 11.2

Using QTCurve window style
    Have also set GTK Style and Fonts to use QTcurve and KDE font settings.

I do remember QTCurve in Opensuse had a button to apply its settings to KDE3 & GTK apps but this is not present in the QTCurve version on 11.3

Default Re: menu font colour on GTK apps in KDE

should mention that if I click on the menu bar in GTK apps that the drop-down menu list has black fonts.
    Found the setting in QTCurve to export settings to qt3 & kde3 apps but does not appear to be there for GTK any more. unsure if this would help my issue anyway.

Changing to a different window style still get white fonts n GTK apps.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: menu font colour on GTK apps in KDE

So you have some control over GTK in KDE. Go to the KDE menu / Personnel Settings / General Tab / Look & Feel / Appearance / GTK Styles & Fonts.

Have you tried this KDE 4.x option before?

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    So you have some control over GTK in KDE. Go to the KDE menu / Personnel Settings / General Tab / Look & Feel / Appearance / GTK Styles & Fonts.

Have you tried this KDE 4.x option before?

Thank You,
    Thanks, but yes. I have already tried this. Making changes to the settings in this window has no effect on the colour.

OK - appears something had become corrupt in Thunderbird and Firefox themselves as creating new profiles fixed up the problem.
    Still not sure what caused it - will post an update if I work it out.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: menu font colour on GTK apps in KDE

In Thunderbird you can go to Edit / Preferences / Display / Formatting Tab / Text Color.

Have you tried this one?

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    In Thunderbird you can go to Edit / Preferences / Display / Formatting Tab / Text Color.

Have you tried this one?

Thank You,
    This only has an effect on the messages. Not the toolbar.

I believe it is something to do with QTCurve - when I changed the background colour for the menubar.
    Chaning back to original worked in everything except Thunderbird and Firefox so there may be some kind of bug re this setting in QTCurve and GTK apps (can't test any other GTK apps as that is the only two I have.

Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    The only way I can find to change the text to black is to change in Configure Desktop > Appearance > Colours
    The setting for "selected text" to black.

Now I could be wrong - but I am pretty sure this should not be the setting that effects the menu colour in GTK apps.

Here are the colour settings I presently have
    In QtCurve you can decide with which colors the menubar are drawn. You can find this in the QtCurve configuration under "Menubars." Now what you observe here in Firefox, (i.e. that the Menubar foreground-color matches "Selection Text" of your color scheme) can be achieved with setting Coloration to "Selected background.

However, this normally would mean that both foreground and background colors are drawn from SelectedText/SelectedBackground and that they are applied to all applications. And not just the foreground color to gtk+ applications.

As to possible solutions to your problem I can think of the following:

- Check your QtCurve settings for "Menubars" especially "Coloration." I think the default is "Background", which means that FF uses ViewText/WindowBackground when you use the Oxygen theme for the Menubars, and the WindowText/WindowBG pair when you use the Default theme.

- Try out what happens when you change the theme that FF uses. By default there are two: Default and Oxygen. (In FF: Tools > Add-ons > Themes)

- Try out what happens with and without the option "Apply colors to non-KDE4 applications" (Appearance > Colours > Options)

- Get a newer version of QtCurve. I have all four QtCurve packages (KDE4, GTK, KDE, WindowDecoration) from here installed:
    Index of /repositories/home:/cornelisbb/openSUSE_11.3

Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    OK - appears something had become corrupt in Thunderbird and Firefox themselves as creating new profiles fixed up the problem.
    Still not sure what caused it - will post an update if I work it out.
    Probably the FF themes. As I said, by default there are two themes: Oxygen and Default. The Default theme is active by default.

When I was playing around with that, I believe I had to save/overwrite the "QtCurve" color scheme before it was applied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast