Kmail: Imported my contacts in adressbook, but new mail doesn't see them

11.3 KDE 4.4.4

I’ve imported my contacts in adressbook and I can see them in Kontact - Adresses. But when I compose a new mail, I can’t select any of my contacts. There is a combobox to select between following choices:

• All
  • Default Adress book
  • Distribution list
  • recent adresses
  • Selected adresses

But none of these options shows the contacts I have imported. And I can’t find an option to make my imported adress book the default adress book. Any ideas?

suskewiet wrote:

>
> 11.3 KDE 4.4.4
>
> I’ve imported my contacts in adressbook and I can see them in Kontact -
> Adresses. But when I compose a new mail, I can’t select any of my
> contacts. There is a combobox to select between following choices:
>
>
> - All
> - Default Adress book
> - Distribution list
> - recent adresses
> - Selected adresses
>
>
> But none of these options shows the contacts I have imported. And I
> can’t find an option to make my imported adress book the default adress
> book. Any ideas?
>
I have the same problem, It’s been around since MS6 at least.

Russ
openSUSE 11.3 (2.6.34-12-desktop) | Platform Version 4.4.4 (KDE 4.4.4)
“release 2” | Intel DX48BT2 motherboard | 4 GB | GeForce 8400GS | 1TB (1) &
320 Int. (2) | 1TB & 120 GB Ext.

I have the same problem.
I’m stuck with opening up my contacts so I can copy & past the email adresses into my emails.
Anyone have a solution?

KDE 4.5
KAddressBook 4.4.5
Kontact 4.4.5

I had the same problem. The fix is:

• In Kickoff go to system settings
  • > “Advanced” tab
  • > “KDE Resources”
  • Select “Contacts” from the dropdown menu
  • Click add or new(The top button, which for some odd reason on my system doesn’t have anything on it, probably a theme issue)
  • select Akonadi address books > ok
  • akonadi-resource will appear in the KDE Resources window, make sure the box is checked and you’re good to go

Yorick, thank-you for this, it has been bugging quite a few people for a while! The button is blanked out on mine as well, I guess a genuine bug, and the reason that the problem is common?
I have posted links to your solution to these threads:
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-help-here/applications/443173-kmail-address-book.html#post2197653
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-help-here/applications/441913-unusable-kaddressbook-4-4-5-opensuse-11-2-a.html

Thanks mate, that worked!
Very happy now.

Yorick wrote:

>
> suskewiet;2195195 Wrote:
>> 11.3 KDE 4.4.4
>>
>> I’ve imported my contacts in adressbook and I can see them in Kontact -
>> Adresses. But when I compose a new mail, I can’t select any of my
>> contacts. There is a combobox to select between following choices:
>>
>> > > >
> - All
> - Default Adress book
> - Distribution list
> - recent adresses
> - Selected adresses
> > > >
>>
>> But none of these options shows the contacts I have imported. And I
>> can’t find an option to make my imported adress book the default
>> adress book. Any ideas?
>
> I had the same problem. The fix is:
>
> - In Kickoff go to system settings
> - > “Advanced” tab
> - > “KDE Resources”
> - Select “Contacts” from the dropdown menu
> - Click add or new(The top button, which for some odd reason on my
> system doesn’t have anything on it, probably a theme issue)
> - select Akonadi address books > ok
> - akonadi-resource will appear in the KDE Resources window, make
> sure the box is checked and you’re good to go
Just for information: on KDE 4.5.1 and I think 4.5.0 it is under Personal
Settings (Configure Desktop)–> Common Appearance and Behavior → Personal
Information.

Russ
openSUSE 11.3 (2.6.34-12-default)|KDE 4.5.1|
Intel core2duo 2.5 MHZ,|4GB DDR3|GeForce 8400GS

No problem, glad to help

The button is blanked out on mine as well, I guess a genuine bug, and the reason that the problem is common?

There is a bug filed on KDE 236974 – No label on top button in KDE Resources System Settings page
It appears to be an issue with translation when using en_GB

As to me, KDE 4.4.4, Kontact 4.4.5, the problem is, as soon as I add an akonadi addressbook in KDE resources, kontact crashes :

akoine@linux-6wx9:~> kontact
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
Calling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.
"/usr/bin/kontact(10771)" Error in thread 140352936191840 : "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
"/usr/bin/kontact(10771)" Error in thread 140352936191840 : "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Connection refused"
"/usr/bin/kontact(10771)" Error in thread 140352936191840 : "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
"/usr/bin/kontact(10771)" Error in thread 140352936191840 : "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Connection refused"
kontact(10771) KMKernel::recoverDeadLetters: Unable to open autosave file "1284447861.7018.WI9O8" 
kontact(10771) KMKernel::recoverDeadLetters: Unable to open autosave file "1284448410.7665.erEt1" 
kontact(10771)/kdeui (kdelibs): No such XML file "/home/akoine/.kde4/share/apps/kontact/local-kmail.rc" 
kontact(10771)/kio (KDirWatch) KDirWatchPrivate::removeEntry: doesn't know "/home/akoine/.kde4/share/apps/kabc" 
kontact(10771)/kdepimlibs (kcal): Cannot read uid map file ' "/home/akoine/.kde4/share/apps/kcal/uidmaps/remote_hRgg8f4JOV" ' 
<unknown program name>(10770)/: Communication problem with  "kontact" , it probably crashed. 
Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." " 

akoine@linux-6wx9:~> 

It seems to be a know bug : [Bug 625182] New: using akonadi as a kde contact ressource crashes konta](http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-bugs/2010-07/msg04623.html)
I can’t find any workaround, and it’s very annoying …