Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: GNOME globalmenu

  1. #1

    Default GNOME globalmenu

    Can I get some help on how to get a globalmenu applet in my top panel?

    I'm a noob with 11.3 and GNOME 2.30.0 desktop. I checked the packman repository ... not there. I tried to build the tarball from ...

    Downloads - gnome2-globalmenu - Project Hosting on Google Code

    ... but got hung up when sudo ./configure replied:
    test for libpanelapplet-2.0 and libnotify failed. (--without-gnome-panel to disable)

    the error did not go away when i installed libnotify-devel (and libpanel-applet-2-0 was already plugged int).

    thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,308
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: GNOME globalmenu

    Quote Originally Posted by icarroll
    Can I get some help on how to get a globalmenu applet in my top panel?

    I'm a noob with 11.3 and GNOME 2.30.0 desktop. I checked the packman
    repository ... not there. I tried to build the tarball from ...

    'Downloads - gnome2-globalmenu - Project Hosting on Google Code'
    (http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-glob...downloads/list)

    ... but got hung up when sudo ./configure replied:
    test for libpanelapplet-2.0 and libnotify failed.
    (--without-gnome-panel to disable)

    the error did not go away when i installed libnotify-devel (and
    libpanel-applet-2-0 was already plugged int).

    thanks in advance.

    Hi
    I've had a look and have build rpm's for a 64bit test system. The spec
    file is here http://pastebin.com/KHeuZ7aZ

    I haven't had a chance to put it on the build service as I'm heading
    off on vacation and won't be back for a week or so.

    Maybe someone in the forum will pick it up and build else put the spec
    file and source in /usr/src/packages/SOURCES and use the command;
    Code:
    rpmbuild -ba gnome-globalmenu.spec
    You then need to install manually. Oh and once you add to the panel,
    logout/login.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.34-12-default
    up 8:39, 2 users, load average: 0.79, 0.79, 0.53
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 256.35


  3. #3

    Default Re: GNOME globalmenu

    thanks for this, but not there yet.

    i put the downloaded tarball and your spec file in /usr/src/packages/SOURCES. after running the rpmbuild command the first time i found two additional dependencies (gnome-panel-devel and xfce4-panel-devel), which i then installed from the openSUSE OSS repository. after calling rpmbuild a second time i get:

    Code:
    /usr/src/packages/SOURCES> rpmbuild -ba gnome-globalmenu.spec
    Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.zKrCnX
    + umask 022
    + cd /usr/src/packages/BUILD
    + cd /usr/src/packages/BUILD
    + rm -rf gnome-globalmenu-0.7.9
    + /usr/bin/bzip2 -dc /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/gnome-globalmenu-0.7.9.tar.bz2
    + /bin/tar -xf -
    + STATUS=0
    + '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
    + cd gnome-globalmenu-0.7.9
    + /bin/chmod -Rf a+rX,u+w,g-w,o-w .
    + $'\r'
    : command not foundrCnX: line 34: 
    error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.zKrCnX (%prep)
    
    
    RPM build errors:
        Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.zKrCnX (%prep)
    i can't begin to interpret this error ...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,308
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: GNOME globalmenu

    Quote Originally Posted by icarroll
    thanks for this, but not there yet.

    i put the downloaded tarball and your spec file in
    /usr/src/packages/SOURCES. after running the rpmbuild command the first
    time i found two additional dependencies (gnome-panel-devel and
    xfce4-panel-devel), which i then installed from the openSUSE OSS
    repository. after calling rpmbuild a second time i get:


    Code:
    --------------------
    /usr/src/packages/SOURCES> rpmbuild -ba gnome-globalmenu.spec
    Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.zKrCnX
    + umask 022
    + cd /usr/src/packages/BUILD
    + cd /usr/src/packages/BUILD
    + rm -rf gnome-globalmenu-0.7.9
    + /usr/bin/bzip2
    -dc /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/gnome-globalmenu-0.7.9.tar.bz2
    + /bin/tar -xf -
    + STATUS=0
    + '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
    + cd gnome-globalmenu-0.7.9
    + /bin/chmod -Rf a+rX,u+w,g-w,o-w .
    + $'\r'
    : command not foundrCnX: line 34:
    error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.zKrCnX (%prep)


    RPM build errors:
    Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.zKrCnX (%prep)
    --------------------


    i can't begin to interpret this error ...

    Hi
    Did you check the source download is ok? Can you also check the spec
    file is ok by comparing to the one on pastebin.


    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (i586) Kernel 2.6.32.13-0.4-pae
    up 0:06, 2 users, load average: 0.18, 0.38, 0.24
    ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME


  5. #5

    Default Re: GNOME globalmenu

    Quote Originally Posted by icarroll View Post
    thanks for this, but not there yet.

    i put the downloaded tarball and your spec file in /usr/src/packages/SOURCES.
    Move the spec file to /usr/src/packages/SPECS
    and keep the tarball in sources

    what happens now when you do the build command Malcom gave you?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,308
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: GNOME globalmenu

    Quote Originally Posted by icarroll
    Can I get some help on how to get a globalmenu applet in my top panel?

    I'm a noob with 11.3 and GNOME 2.30.0 desktop. I checked the packman
    repository ... not there. I tried to build the tarball from ...

    'Downloads - gnome2-globalmenu - Project Hosting on Google Code'
    (http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-glob...downloads/list)

    ... but got hung up when sudo ./configure replied:
    test for libpanelapplet-2.0 and libnotify failed.
    (--without-gnome-panel to disable)

    the error did not go away when i installed libnotify-devel (and
    libpanel-applet-2-0 was already plugged int).

    thanks in advance.

    [vacation_mode_disabled]
    Hi
    It's all built and you should find the packages here;
    http://software.opensuse.org/search?...ude_debug=true
    [vacation_mode_enabled]


    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (i586) Kernel 2.6.32.13-0.4-pae
    up 23:30, 3 users, load average: 0.11, 0.13, 0.07
    ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME


  7. #7

    Default Re: GNOME globalmenu

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    [vacation_mode_disabled]
    Hi
    It's all built and you should find the packages here;
    software.opensuse.org: Search Results
    [vacation_mode_enabled]
    thanks, Malcolm. Now go, enjoy your vacation!

    Perhaps the applet isn't ready for prime-time yet. I installed from the build service, got the applet in the panel ... but it was empty. I think I'll give up for now, but hope to see an option for this style of menu built-in to a future GNOME release.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,308
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: GNOME globalmenu

    Quote Originally Posted by icarroll
    malcolmlewis;2196162 Wrote:
    > [vacation_mode_disabled]
    > Hi
    > It's all built and you should find the packages here;
    > 'software.opensuse.org: Search Results' (http://tinyurl.com/25h93a4)
    > [vacation_mode_enabled]


    thanks, Malcolm. Now go, enjoy your vacation!

    Perhaps the applet isn't ready for prime-time yet. I installed from the
    build service, got the applet in the panel ... but it was empty. I think
    I'll give up for now, but hope to see an option for this style of menu
    built-in to a future GNOME release.

    Hi
    If you remove the applet from the panel and uninstall the version you
    have installed via YaST. The go back into yaST and install the new
    version I have built you should be good to go (it's version 0.7.9-11.1)

    I did have to right-click and reposition the applet in the panel to see
    it all.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.3 (i586) Kernel 2.6.34-12-desktop
    up 0:51, 2 users, load average: 0.67, 0.74, 0.48
    ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •