e4defrag available anywhere yet?

Can ext4 be defragged yet using e4defrag from some additional repositories? Couldn’t find via the YaST software management repositories/online search and don’t really want to manually recompile the kernel.

Most (months old) post on the forum about it seem to indicate simply having to wait.

The reason why I’m asking is because (samba) access to a single partition is extremely slow (30s rather than 4s) for opening 24m episodes of whatever. I suspect this to be due to fragmentation as that disk has been serving as the ‘torrent disk’ for several years now which is known to cause severe fragmentation.
The only way to find out if this is caused by fragmentation would of course be to defragmentate it.

All samba shares are set up the exact same way (via YaST) btw, so fragmentation was the only logical conclusion I could come up which would lead to a gradual (over the years) drop in performance.

Please spare me the “linux file systems don’t need defragmentation” as the e4defrag tool wouldn’t be developed if that was the case and this most likely falls under a worst use case scenario :wink:

Did you create a fresh ext4 partition or did you convert an existing ext3 to ext4? And how full is the disk? What do you mean by ‘m24’?

Given you have enough free space somewhere you could copy all data away, then format a nice fresh ext4 partition and copy everything back in place. This would effectively defragment this partition.

24 minutes :wink:

guess I’ll have to see how much room I’ve left on the other partitions to see if copying it over is an option, given it’s a terabyte disk that’s quite full it’s a rather lengthy process however. So if e4defrag is available it would be nice to use it, and more importantly I would know if fragmentation gets a factor n worse with samba as local access is still acceptably fast.