Thread: xfce4-notifyd - where does this process autostart from ?

Default xfce4-notifyd - where does this process autostart from ?

I've recently switched over to gnome desktop environment with gnome-shell preview as my compositing manager....

Everything is good except for this process xfce4-notifyd which autostarts somehow.... The problem with this process is it acts as the default notification daemon over-riding gnome-shell's built-in notification support and tends to display balloon popups on the top right corner....

If i kill this process everything is good.... But on restart it autostarts again somehow.... Anyone have any ideas which are the places containing the autostart config files ?

I looked through the items in gnome-session-properties and also in these places:
    Code:
    /usr/share/autostart
    /etc/xdg/autostart
    But couldn't find any entries related to xfce4-notifyd.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: xfce4-notifyd - where does this process autostart from ?

The package related to the daemon is 'xfce4-notifyd'. Use the yast package manager to delete it, or via zypper (as root) with

Code:
    zypper rm xfce4-notifyd

Default Re: xfce4-notifyd - where does this process autostart from ?

Yes I could do that... But wont it be required for XFCE ? Of course I dont use XFCE but have it installed - gave it a try couple of times....

Surely there should be some way to disable this thing from starting automatically rather than removing it completely right ?

BTW I found xfce4-notifyd entry in this file:
    Code:
    share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.Notifications.service
    Code:
    [D-BUS Service]
    Name=org.freedesktop.Notifications
    Exec=/usr/lib/xfce4-notifyd
    I'm not sure how d-bus service config files work - could anyone tell me if I remove this file - what would be the impact ? Anyways I'll also try removing it and see what happens now....