Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Suse 11.1 + kernel-pae 2.6.27.48 update + alsa-kmp update = Borked Sound

  1. #1

    Question Suse 11.1 + kernel-pae 2.6.27.48 update + alsa-kmp update = Borked Sound

    Updating Suse 11.1 to Kernel 2.6.27.48... and then updating alsa-driver-kmp (from multimedia:/audio:KMP/openSUSE_11.1_Update) completely broke my sound system.
    Alsa is up-to-date from multimedia:/libs/openSUSE_11.1 and my sound chip is HDA_Intel on a Toshiba laptop. The system worked with all previous kernel and Alsa-KMP updates.

    boot.msg gives the following:
    <6>HDA Intel 0000:00:14.2: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
    ...
    <3>ALSA hda_intel.c:1451: no codecs initialized
    <6>HDA Intel 0000:00:14.2: PCI INT A disabled

    for reference, boot.msg gives the following when the sound system is working:
    <6>HDA Intel 0000:00:14.2: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
    ...
    <6>hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC268, trying auto-probe from BIOS...
    <7>ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3281: autoconfig: line_outs=1 (0x14/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
    <7>ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3285: speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
    <7>ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3289: hp_outs=1 (0x15/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
    <7>ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3290: mono: mono_out=0x0
    <7>ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3298: inputs: mic=0x18, fmic=0x0, line=0x1a, fline=0x0, cd=0x0, aux=0x0

    Removing the KMP drivers will allow the sound system to partially work again.

    Any ideas of what happened? - is there any way to notify the Alsa packager that there is a problem? - Any help is much appreciated.

    Thanks.

    P.S. - Thanks to ATI (who made my graphics chip a legacy chip one year after buying my laptop), I cannot upgrade to 11.2 or 11.3.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,807
    Blog Entries
    39

    Default Re: Suse 11.1 + kernel-pae 2.6.27.48 update + alsa-kmp update = Borked Sound

    Quote Originally Posted by Squawking View Post
    Updating Suse 11.1 to Kernel 2.6.27.48... and then updating alsa-driver-kmp (from multimedia:/audio:KMP/openSUSE_11.1_Update) completely broke my sound system.
    Alsa is up-to-date from multimedia:/libs/openSUSE_11.1 and my sound chip is HDA_Intel on a Toshiba laptop. The system worked with all previous kernel and Alsa-KMP updates.

    boot.msg gives the following:
    <6>HDA Intel 0000:00:14.2: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
    ...
    <3>ALSA hda_intel.c:1451: no codecs initialized
    <6>HDA Intel 0000:00:14.2: PCI INT A disabled

    for reference, boot.msg gives the following when the sound system is working:
    <6>HDA Intel 0000:00:14.2: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
    ...
    <6>hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC268, trying auto-probe from BIOS...
    <7>ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3281: autoconfig: line_outs=1 (0x14/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
    <7>ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3285: speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
    <7>ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3289: hp_outs=1 (0x15/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
    <7>ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3290: mono: mono_out=0x0
    <7>ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3298: inputs: mic=0x18, fmic=0x0, line=0x1a, fline=0x0, cd=0x0, aux=0x0

    Removing the KMP drivers will allow the sound system to partially work again.

    Any ideas of what happened? - is there any way to notify the Alsa packager that there is a problem? - Any help is much appreciated.

    Thanks.

    P.S. - Thanks to ATI (who made my graphics chip a legacy chip one year after buying my laptop), I cannot upgrade to 11.2 or 11.3.
    There is an update to alsa which you could try. I just (a few minutes ago) submitted updates to the alsa-update wiki:
    SDB:Alsa-update - openSUSE

  3. #3

    Default Re: Suse 11.1 + kernel-pae 2.6.27.48 update + alsa-kmp update = Borked Sound

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    There is an update to alsa which you could try. I just (a few minutes ago) submitted updates to the alsa-update wiki:
    SDB:Alsa-update - openSUSE
    Thanks oldcpu, but I have made all the correct updates. after updating to kernel-pae 2.6.27.48- alsa still worked fine. But updating to alsa-driver-kmp for 2.6.27.48- broke the system. All alsa files and libasound are all updated from multimedia repository as stated above.

    For some reason, the codec for the hda_intel chip will not get loaded with the latest alsa-driver-kmp update.

    cheers

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,807
    Blog Entries
    39

    Default Re: Suse 11.1 + kernel-pae 2.6.27.48 update + alsa-kmp update = Borked Sound

    Quote Originally Posted by Squawking View Post
    Thanks oldcpu, but I have made all the correct updates. after updating to kernel-pae 2.6.27.48- alsa still worked fine. But updating to alsa-driver-kmp for 2.6.27.48- broke the system. All alsa files and libasound are all updated from multimedia repository as stated above.

    For some reason, the codec for the hda_intel chip will not get loaded with the latest alsa-driver-kmp update.

    cheers
    Typically when updating alsa, you need more than just the kmp. You need all the other updated alsa packages (on a one-on-one to what you have currently installed) also. For example, if you have alsa-oss, alsa-utils, alsa-plugins, alsa-oss-32bit, alsa-plugins-32bit, alsa-devel, alsa-docs
    alsa installed, you also need to update those from here:
    HTML Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/multimedia:/libs/openSUSE_11.1/
    and you need to update the alsa-driver-kmp (to match your EXACT kernel version) from here:
    HTML Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/multimedia:/audio:/KMP/openSUSE_11.1_Update/
    Maybe thats what you did, but it is not clear to me it is.

    Also, I have had many users claim they have actually done that, but when I asked them to run:
    Code:
    rpm -qa '*alsa*'
    and post the output, it was clear they did NOT do the update, even though they had mistakenly thought they had done the update. So care is needed here.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Suse 11.1 + kernel-pae 2.6.27.48 update + alsa-kmp update = Borked Sound

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Typically when updating alsa, you need more than just the kmp. You need all the other updated alsa packages (on a one-on-one to what you have currently installed) also. For example, if you have alsa-oss, alsa-utils, alsa-plugins, alsa-oss-32bit, alsa-plugins-32bit, alsa-devel, alsa-docs
    alsa installed, you also need to update those from here:
    HTML Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/multimedia:/libs/openSUSE_11.1/
    and you need to update the alsa-driver-kmp (to match your EXACT kernel version) from here:
    HTML Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/multimedia:/audio:/KMP/openSUSE_11.1_Update/
    Maybe thats what you did, but it is not clear to me it is.

    Also, I have had many users claim they have actually done that, but when I asked them to run:
    Code:
    rpm -qa '*alsa*'
    and post the output, it was clear they did NOT do the update, even though they had mistakenly thought they had done the update. So care is needed here.
    Here is the the rpm and uname outputs:
    diana@liana:~> rpm -qa '*alsa*'
    alsa-plugins-1.0.23-28.4
    alsamixergui-0.9.0rc1-1486.8
    alsa-driver-kmp-pae-1.0.23.20100722_2.6.27.48_0.1-1.1
    alsa-utils-1.0.23-20.6
    alsa-1.0.23-62.2
    alsa-devel-1.0.23-62.2
    alsa-oss-1.0.17-53.9
    alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.23-28.4
    diana@liana:~>
    diana@liana:~> uname -a
    Linux liana 2.6.27.48-0.1-pae #1 SMP 2010-07-05 22:20:39 +0200 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
    diana@liana:~>

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,807
    Blog Entries
    39

    Default Re: Suse 11.1 + kernel-pae 2.6.27.48 update + alsa-kmp update = Borked Sound

    Quote Originally Posted by Squawking View Post
    Here is the the rpm and uname outputs:
    diana@liana:~> rpm -qa '*alsa*'
    alsa-plugins-1.0.23-28.4
    alsamixergui-0.9.0rc1-1486.8
    alsa-driver-kmp-pae-1.0.23.20100722_2.6.27.48_0.1-1.1
    alsa-utils-1.0.23-20.6
    alsa-1.0.23-62.2
    alsa-devel-1.0.23-62.2
    alsa-oss-1.0.17-53.9
    alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.23-28.4
    diana@liana:~>
    diana@liana:~> uname -a
    Linux liana 2.6.27.48-0.1-pae #1 SMP 2010-07-05 22:20:39 +0200 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
    diana@liana:~>
    I checked those version numbers, and they look ok.

    what you could do, if you have time, is write a bug report on openSUSE component "sound" on openSUSE-11.1.

    Attach (don't copy and paste, but attach) to the bug report the text file from running:
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh --no-upload
    and that will create the file /tmp/alsa-info.txt which can be added as an attachment. That has bunch of technical info that may show the alsa dev what is wrong with the alsa driver, IF you also describe the audio symptoms.

    Note the SuSE-GmbH packager for sound is also an alsa developer, and if he fixes this, the fix gets sent upstream and ALL Linux distributions will benefit from your efforts with him.

    There is guidance here for raising bug reports: Submitting Bug Reports - openSUSE .... The alsa developer/openSUSE packager, may ask that you try a few different alsa versions, and hence if your schedule is too busy for such support (and I definitely know what that can be like) then its probably best NOT to write such a bug report.

    Don't reference this thread, as the SuSE-GmbH packager refuses to read forum threads. Its important the bug report has all the salient information.

    Good luck !!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Suse 11.1 + kernel-pae 2.6.27.48 update + alsa-kmp update = Borked Sound

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I checked those version numbers, and they look ok.

    what you could do, if you have time, is write a bug report on openSUSE component "sound" on openSUSE-11.1.

    Attach (don't copy and paste, but attach) to the bug report the text file from running:
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh --no-upload
    and that will create the file /tmp/alsa-info.txt which can be added as an attachment. That has bunch of technical info that may show the alsa dev what is wrong with the alsa driver, IF you also describe the audio symptoms.

    Note the SuSE-GmbH packager for sound is also an alsa developer, and if he fixes this, the fix gets sent upstream and ALL Linux distributions will benefit from your efforts with him.

    ......

    Good luck !!
    Thanks oldcpu - unfortunately, I have just downloaded and compiled the drivers from the Alsa-project website. Everything seems to be working again. If I have a few minutes, I will re-install the KMP drivers, and see if it fails, then send in a bug report as you described.
    Thank you very much for you time and help.
    Cheers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,807
    Blog Entries
    39

    Default Re: Suse 11.1 + kernel-pae 2.6.27.48 update + alsa-kmp update = Borked Sound

    Quote Originally Posted by Squawking View Post
    Thanks oldcpu - unfortunately, I have just downloaded and compiled the drivers from the Alsa-project website. Everything seems to be working again. If I have a few minutes, I will re-install the KMP drivers, and see if it fails, then send in a bug report as you described.
    Thank you very much for you time and help.
    Cheers.
    Good luck. I forgot to mention above, but its in the guide I quoted, and I think it pretty obvious, after installing the updated alsa rpms, a reboot IS necessary.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Suse 11.1 + kernel-pae 2.6.27.48 update + alsa-kmp update = Borked Sound

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Good luck. I forgot to mention above, but its in the guide I quoted, and I think it pretty obvious, after installing the updated alsa rpms, a reboot IS necessary.
    /me smiles - aye, rebooted multiple times.. I think my laptop is all rebooted out - thanks again

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •