Record My Desktop

I’ve just tried out recordmydesktop and I can’t seem to get it to work properly. I tried specifying the file name and the folder to put it in and the terminal window says it’s capturing, but when I exit the terminal, the file that I told it to make does not seem to exist.
There is no application window and a link to it was not done for the kicker menu. I had to go find it myself and try running it in the terminal.
How do you get it to stop capturing when you’re done?

Try xvidcap it’s in packman too

xvidcap did not work either. It just captured my mouse cursor when I went to select the area to capture and I was unable to do anything with with the mouse. I couldn’t even stop it from selecting (I tried double clicking, hitting enter, and using the Esc key) nor could I close the app and I had to use the on/off button on the computer and log in again. Needless to say, I uninstalled it right after that.

Could the problems be caused by the NVidia driver? (the one that has 3D hardware support.)

I have not tested xvidcap with 11.3 GM, but I would be surprised if it is broken.

Here is the settings I have applied for xvidcap in 11.2:
http://thumbnails27.imagebam.com/8966/8bf49589658996.jpg](ImageBam)

I just tested xvid cap on my 32-bit openSUSE-11.3 PC (athlon-2800 w/nVidia PCI GeForce 8400GS) [note it is a PCI and NOT a PCI-e graphic card]. There are some strange effects due to special desktop effects, but overall nothing suprising. xvid cap works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X25oKjMikLA) **

Here is another xvidcap video … this one was more fun :slight_smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7SARMtghT0)

Here I am using xvidcap on a Core i7 920 with nVidia GeForce GTX260 (openSUSE-11.2) to capture an virtual box session (openSUSE-11.3 RC1 LXDE desktop with 1GB assigned and 1 core assigned) which downloads xvidcap in the virtual box, and then runs xvidcap, and then plays back the recorded session by xvidcap with mplayer. Its easy to get lost here. :slight_smile:

I had not setup this RC1 session well in advance, so smplayer was not installed, and I did not have xine setup. In the end, I simply played the xvidcap captured video back with mplayer. Again I recorded NO audio.

I struggled a bit with the 2nd xvidcap session, as some of the icons in the virtual box did not like being embedded inside another xvidcap session and were not coloured, and that confused me. Not surprising as the two (virtual and real) may have had some mutual interference. But it turns out the buttons actually worked, and I just did not realize it. :shame:*

So, on my computer, something must be missing for it [xvidcap] not to work. What should I check for?

My not sitting in front of your computer makes that rather difficult. When you state:

when I went to select the area to capture and I was unable to do anything with with the mouse. I couldn’t even stop it from selecting (I tried double clicking, hitting enter, and using the Esc key) nor could I close the app and I had to use the on/off button on the computer and log in again.
I do not understand your description. Maybe your KDE or Gnome was corrupted and you simply needed to restart KDE or Gnome and try again?

I am having an issue with recordmydesktop on my 11.3 kde desktop. Everything is working fine, but recordmydesktop somehow ignores my desktop-effects eg. wobbly windows etc. Never had that happening before…