Cairo dock w/OpenGL not running [11.3]

Hello,
I recently upgraded from 11.2 to 11.3. I had to manually install nVidia drivers to get the desktop working correctly (compiz was enabled), now the system runs fine except for cairo-dock which doesn’t start on KDE boot.

Running it from console and choosing Yes when asked for using OpenGL, it returns an error

djechelon@MONSTR:~> cairo-dock

============================================================================
Cairo-Dock version: 2.1.3-7
Compiled date: Mar 18 2010 20:45:24
Running with OpenGL: 1

cairo-dock: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol: GTK_WIDGET_NO_WINDOW

After upgrade to 11.3 I performed a full distro upgrade via YaST by updating all the packages if a newer version was available, so I’m using the latest version of all the packages on my system.

I searched with YaST for the package containing that libgtkglext and forced its upgrade in order to reinstall it. No fix.

Here is my repository list

#  | Alias                             | Nome                                                  | abilitato | Attualizza
---+-----------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------+-----------+-----------
1  | download.opensuse.org-Community   | openSUSE BuildService - Mono:Community                | Sì        | Sì        
2  | download.opensuse.org-Extra       | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Extra                     | Sì        | Sì        
3  | download.opensuse.org-STABLE      | openSUSE BuildService - OpenOffice.org                | Sì        | Sì        
4  | download.opensuse.org-UpdatedApps | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:UpdatedApps               | Sì        | Sì        
5  | download.opensuse.org-VirtualBox  | openSUSE BuildService - Virtualizzazione (VirtualBox) | Sì        | Sì        
6  | download.opensuse.org-filesystems | openSUSE BuildService - filesystems                   | Sì        | Sì        
7  | download.opensuse.org-mozilla     | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla                       | Sì        | Sì        
8  | download.opensuse.org-packages    | openSUSE BuildService - Java:packages                 | Sì        | Sì        
9  | download.opensuse.org-php         | openSUSE BuildService - PHP                           | Sì        | Sì        
10 | download.opensuse.org-standard    | Repository principale (Contrib)                       | Sì        | Sì        
11 | download.opensuse.org-webcam      | openSUSE BuildService - Driver per webcam             | Sì        | Sì        
12 | download.videolan.org-SuSE        | VideoLan Repository                                   | Sì        | Sì        
13 | nVidia                            | nVidia                                                | Sì        | Sì        
14 | openSUSE-11.3 11.3-1.82           | openSUSE-11.3 11.3-1.82                               | No        | No        
15 | packman.inode.at-suse             | Packman Repository                                    | Sì        | Sì        
16 | repo-debug                        | openSUSE-11.3-Debug                                   | Sì        | Sì        
17 | repo-non-oss                      | openSUSE-11.3-Non-Oss                                 | Sì        | Sì        
18 | repo-oss                          | openSUSE-11.3-Oss                                     | Sì        | Sì        
19 | repo-source                       | openSUSE-11.3-Source                                  | Sì        | Sì        
20 | repo-update                       | openSUSE-11.3-Update                                  | Sì        | Sì        

Any ideas? Thank you

Hello,

I think the version of gtkglext on openSUSE 11.3 is a bit buggy :\ (you can have a look to a similar problem here). Can you try to install a newer version?
I’ve found a repository with a newer version there: Index of /repositories/home:/gbvalor/SLE_11
And you can find a copy of libgtkglext’s packages there: Index of /opensuse

BTW if it’s a problem with the current version of libgtkglext, can you report this bug to maintainers of this package on OpenSUSE?

Actually opengl on 11.3 is very buggy. Search on bugzilla for opengl on 11.3 and you’ll find several issues regarding to opengl, mostly related to Intel graphics.

I notice these problems myself (running KDE) when running compositing on opengl (no trouble on xrender).

At this point it is not very clear to me who is going to fix this, either the openSUSE team, or they are waiting for a fix from upstream or the community.

And do these packages fix the bug? => Index of /opensuse

Updating libgtkglext from Index of /opensuse/x86_64 solved the problem for me :slight_smile:

Sorry for not having tried promptly to install the updated packages, but now they work!!
Thank you all

Good tip!
Update to gtkglext-1.2.0-186.1.x86_64 works perfectly.
Thanks.

can anybody please tell me how to install this cairo dock on openSUSE 11.3? i tried everything already but couldn’t install. this is what i get when i try to install with YasT

INSTALLATION NOT POSSIBLE
The install link or file you opened does not contain instructions for this version of openSUSE.

SOURCE FROM HERE: Cairo-Dock - Desktop dock for openSUSE Linux | SUSE & openSUSE

please help