Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenSuse 11.3 and KDE 4.4.4 theme problem

Default OpenSuse 11.3 and KDE 4.4.4 theme problem

After an upgrade to OpenSuse 11.3 KDE has gone to worse.
    I am beginning to believe that dark themes are impossible to use on the new KDE 4.4.4.

The only theme that works properly is Air, but I find it to much white. Aya or Elegance theme have problems showing the buttons on plasma elements, so has any other theme but Air. Trying to switch to an additional dark color theme (Obsidian Coast) does not work properly either.

The buttons on plasma elements are invisible (the button panel that appears when the mouse is over an plasma element). Sometimes different elements are distorted, i.e. icons, text input boxes etc.

I wonder how it is possible that the developers at KDE can make it worse. This worked perfectly on OpenSuse 11.2 and its KDE version.

Default Re: OpenSuse 11.3 and KDE 4.4.4 theme problem

Was this a fresh install or did you install over an existing openSUSE version? I saw similar issues until I went in and refreshed all my KDE4 packages

Quote Originally Posted by DJViking View Post
    After an upgrade to OpenSuse 11.3 KDE has gone to worse.
    I am beginning to believe that dark themes are impossible to use on the new KDE 4.4.4.

The only theme that works properly is Air, but I find it to much white. Aya or Elegance theme have problems showing the buttons on plasma elements, so has any other theme but Air. Trying to switch to an additional dark color theme (Obsidian Coast) does not work properly either.

The buttons on plasma elements are invisible (the button panel that appears when the mouse is over an plasma element). Sometimes different elements are distorted, i.e. icons, text input boxes etc.

I wonder how it is possible that the developers at KDE can make it worse. This worked perfectly on OpenSuse 11.2 and its KDE version.
    Hi,

With the upgrade from 11.2 to 11.3, did you try creating a new user to see if they also have the problem? If the new user does not have the problem, then it's most likely a problem with your .kde4 folder.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

It was a fresh install.

How did you install the themes? From kde-look or through Yast?

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

I installed them from the application where I select themes. The option to get more themes.

I had this problem before I downloaded additional themes. The theme Aya was installed with KDE.

The theme glassified does not have this problem. The buttons on the plasmoids are visible, but the rest of the problem are present.

Quote Originally Posted by DJViking View Post
    The only theme that works properly is Air, but I find it to much white. ... This worked perfectly on OpenSuse 11.2 and its KDE version.
    I am puzzled by this as my 11.3 desktop looks almost identical to 11.2 (other than the cosmetic changes). There is very little white anywhere, whatever application I open. Most are enveloped in pale grey. I wonder if the problem is a video setting rather than anything in the software.

Have you tried playing around with the Desktop Theme Details. It is in Systemsettings > Advanced. This is where you can chose different plasma themes for various things like the Pager, Panel, Widget Background and so on.

Now try this. Start off with a theme that works, and then bit by bit replace it by the one(s) that you like better.

I have a similar problem with a fresh install. Plasma buttons dissappear etc, it's really weird. And where in heaven's name is the oxygen theme? there's supposed to be a black one

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Emsworth View Post
    Have you tried playing around with the Desktop Theme Details. It is in Systemsettings > Advanced. This is where you can chose different plasma themes for various things like the Pager, Panel, Widget Background and so on.

Now try this. Start off with a theme that works, and then bit by bit replace it by the one(s) that you like better.
    I did as you suggested. I started with the theme Glassified and changed all elements for the Elegance theme.

However I still have some problem with the icons on the KDE pager (they get distorted) and in some applications. If I close the application and open it again the graphics are not distorted. The only thing I can think of is the graphics driver and OpenSuse 11.3 now uses nouveau while in OpenSuse 11.2 I used NVidia. Hard to explain further, if I could add some images of these distorted graphics it would explain better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast