Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Configuring graphics cards in openSUSE 11.3

Blog Entries

Default Re: Configuring graphics cards in openSUSE 11.3

Quote Originally Posted by dvsulam View Post
    Code:
     [ IMG ] http://file:///home/david/Documents/snapshot1.png[ / IMG ]
    tried attaching a snapshot file for you to see, but i dont see it, do dont understand why.
    ????????
    I guess you do not understand that you can NOT post a link to your /home that way. Think about it. How can I possibly see a jpeg that is in your /home ?

If you want to paste a pix, put it on a paste site such as ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

Quote Originally Posted by dvsulam View Post
    i did what was suggested in SDB:Configuring graphics cards - openSUSE which includes editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf file (4th thing to try in this article, aswell as trying the other suggestions) and also edited NO_KMS_IN_INITRD to yes and that also did not work.
    After seeing your failed image post attempt, I have no confidence that you did this properly. Please describe EXACTLY what you did and please type EXACTLY what edits you tried to the 50-device.conf file. Because you failed completely to post an image (what you tried there makes no sense) hence I have no confidence here in you correctly following the instructions.

I'm assuming this would be relevant to this thread, but it's regarding the AMD APP SDK (formerly ATI Stream SDK).

I have not successfully been able to get the opencl runtime functioning and was wondering if anyone has advice/tips.

Hi all. I'm trying to configure an old lap's graphics card on openSUSE 11.3. It says it's a Sis 660.

I added this repo: Index of /repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_11.3 and have kept its packages updated. But I don't know if enough to have it well configured nor if it supports 3D.

Here's my /var/log/Xorg.0.log: SUSE Paste
    From which I think it's really using the Sis driver.

Can I do something else for this graphic chip? Thank you.

Blog Entries

The sis driver will provide the best possible performance from your hardware (limited as it is). The next step down is to use the generic vesa driver.

For more info about the sis driver:

man sis

There is some 2D support, but it depends on the chipset. (AFAIK, those that are supported should not require any configuration). Your Xorg.0.log output shows that 2D acceleration is enabled. That's the best result that you can expect.

Code:
    [    30.744] (II) SIS(0): 2D acceleration enabled
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 18-Jul-2011 at 20:23.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by F_style View Post
    Hi all. I'm trying to configure an old lap's graphics card on openSUSE 11.3. It says it's a Sis 660.

I added this repo: Index of /repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_11.3 and have kept its packages updated. But I don't know if enough to have it well configured nor if it supports 3D.

Here's my /var/log/Xorg.0.log: SUSE Paste
    From which I think it's really using the Sis driver.

First let me say I know of no way to further improve your setup. I do have some information which you may be curious about if you have not figured this out already.

I note this in the Xorg.0.log file:
    Code:
    [    29.804]  X.Org X Server 1.9.3   Release Date: 2010-12-13
    [    30.031] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for sis
    [    30.031] (--) Chipset SIS660/[M]661[F|M]X/[M]670/[M]741[GX]/[M]760[GX]/[M]761[GX]/[M]770[GX] found
    [    30.032] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
    [    30.035] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
    [    30.036] (II) SIS(0): SiS driver (2005/09/20-1, compiled for X.org 1.9.3.0)
    [    30.036] (II) SIS(0): *** See http://www.winischhofer.eu/linuxsisvga.shtml
    [    30.036] (WW) SIS(0): Could not find/read video BIOS
    [    30.094] (WW) SIS(0): Unable to detect PanelDelayCompensation, LCD is not active
    [    30.735] (WW) SIS(0): Unable to estimate virtual size
    [    31.392] (EE) HID 04f3:0103: failed to initialize for relative axes.
    From which we can see that your PC is now running with the 1.9.3 X server instead of the 1.8.0 that nominally comes with openSUSE-11.3. Presumeably that is because you have been updating from the repository Index of /repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_11.3 . A warning about that repository - it often has unstable packages in it that can break your X. I learned that the hardware. The breakage if it occurs, can even be so bad it is quicker to do a re-install as opposed to trying to repair the breakage.

Reference this line:
    Code:
    [    30.036] (II) SIS(0): *** See http://www.winischhofer.eu/linuxsisvga.shtml
    That URL is broken and the X-server is out of date there. The proper link is: Thomas Winischhofer - X.org/XFree86/Linux and SiS/XGI graphics chipsets

In case you did not know, note that the Sis driver is in the rpm: xorg-x11-driver-video which has packaged /usr/share/man/man4/sis.4.gz.

For openSUSE-11.3 the stock rpm is xorg-x11-driver-video-7.5-15.2.architecture

If one looks in the change log for xorg-x11-driver-video for openSUSE-11.3 one gets:
    Code:
    ~> rpm -qi xorg-x11-driver-video --changelog | grep sis
    - xf86-video-sis-website.diff
    - xf86-video-sis-19070.diff
    - xf86-video-sis 0.10.2
    - xf86-video-sisusb 0.9.3
    - xf86-video-sisusb 0.9.2
        2.7.0 it consists only of a few carefully hand-picked fixes
    indicating version 0.10.2 with a '19070' patch and another 'website' patch.

If one then looks inside the factory xorg-x11-driver-video-7.6-229.1.somearchitecture (with some edits on my part)

Code:
    ~> rpm -qip xorg-x11-driver-video-7.6-229.1.x86_64.rpm --changelog | grep sis
    - xf86-video-sis 0.10.3
      * sis video driver 0.10.3 for server 1.9
      * obsoletes xf86-video-sis-19070.diff,
        xf86-video-sis-website.diff
    - xf86-video-sisusb 0.9.4
      * sisusb video driver 0.9.4 for server 1.9
    - xf86-video-sis-website.diff
    - xf86-video-sis-19070.diff
    - xf86-video-sis 0.10.2
    - xf86-video-sisusb 0.9.3
    - xf86-video-sisusb 0.9.2
    One can see that the version of the sis driver in factory is 0.10.3 instead of the 0.10.2 in openSUSE-11.3.

Of course there is more to this than just the X server and the sis driver. The version of Mesa also comes into play.

But note such updates from the Index of /repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_11.3 repository is fraught with risk, and its not an update I nominally recommend.

Unfortunately when it comes to updating graphic drivers, GNU/Linux is not IMHO as friendly as the typical MS-Windows operating systems.

Hi there

I have a new take on this problem. I hope you can help.

My old Linux machine has a Geforce 6200 card and was working fine with the nouvea driver but lacked decent performance and options to optimise the card. So I decided to upgrade to the Nvidia driver and connect from the card's DVI output to the HDMI port on my TV (rather than the VGA port as this would give me access to the higher resolutions available in HDMI mode). The driver download, installation and set up went like a dream except the font sizes were all enormous (even though it said I was still using 8pt) as was the frame size of the windows. After much button bashing I managed to get the font size and window borders looking back to normal, unfortunately I'm still not sure what I did.

I then logged in as root (I was previously using my own account) and noticed the same problem with this ID. This time after much mindless adjustment of settings I find that when I switch to the root account and the window manager starts the signal is lost to the monitor (TV). I suspect I have inadvertently made a change to the graphics settings that is running the monitor in an unsupported mode. Luckily my usual user ID is unaffected but I would like to fix the problem I have created for the root account. I'm trying to find the file where the X settings are stored so I can manually adjust them to something 'safe', however I can't find it! Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Ian

Wrong place please put in the regular threads. or request this be moved.

Quick answer Linux is multi user each user has their own settings so root setting may be different then your user settings.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456