Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Intermittent lockup / system freeze with OpenSuSe 11.3

  1. #1

    Default Intermittent lockup / system freeze with OpenSuSe 11.3

    Hello,

    I've just installed OpenSuse 11.3 on my two Sony Vaio VPCF11Z1E machines (which have a Geforce GT 330M graphics card).

    Both machines appear to setup correctly and behave normally, but at seemingly random intervals (of the order of magnitude of 15-30 minutes) the whole system locks up for no readily apparent reason. I can still move the mouse pointer around the screen, but I cannot click on anything, and the whole keyboard is unresponsive (including any reasonable ctrl-alt-xxx which might normally help). The only way to get out of this seems to be to press and hold the power button to shut the whole machine off (which is not ideal!).

    There is no obvious action performed by me which causes or initiates the freeze - it seems to happen at random.

    Does anyone have any idea how I might go about investigating this?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Intermittent lockup / system freeze with OpenSuSe 11.3

    It maybe the nouveau driver that gets loaded by default in the openSUSE 11.3 installation. And on some NVIDIA cards that can cause lockups. I suggest that you work your way through the Guide the oldcpu put together to install the NVIDIA driver for your video card. The Guide is here openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users

    Cheers!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Intermittent lockup / system freeze with OpenSuSe 11.3

    Thanks - that's what I suspected. Unfortunately 1-click NVIDIA installs don't seem to have been done for 11.3 yet, and if I try to do it the hard way the standard driver won't install on a clean OpenSuSe distribution. If I try, it says:

    ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This happens most
    frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or
    improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs
    from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as
    rivafb/nvidiafb is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from
    obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s), or NVIDIA GPU
    installed in this system is not supported by this NVIDIA Linux graphics
    driver release.

    Jesus, nothing is ever easy is it? I need these machines to work by tomorrow, and I really don't need the stress.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Schenectady, NY
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: Intermittent lockup / system freeze with OpenSuSe 11.3

    Quote Originally Posted by mdt26a View Post
    Thanks - that's what I suspected. Unfortunately 1-click NVIDIA installs don't seem to have been done for 11.3 yet, and if I try to do it the hard way the standard driver won't install on a clean OpenSuSe distribution. If I try, it says:

    ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This happens most
    frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or
    improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs
    from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as
    rivafb/nvidiafb is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from
    obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s), or NVIDIA GPU
    installed in this system is not supported by this NVIDIA Linux graphics
    driver release.

    Jesus, nothing is ever easy is it? I need these machines to work by tomorrow, and I really don't need the stress.
    This is documented in the guide etech97 posted. You have to disable KMS and blacklist the nouveau module prior to installing the Nvidia driver.

    Frankly, the "hard" way to install the Nvidia drivers is so easy, I wonder why people waste their time creating the nvidia repository.

    (you'll also need the kernel development pattern installed from yast)

  5. #5

    Default Re: Intermittent lockup / system freeze with OpenSuSe 11.3

    Quote Originally Posted by kdemello View Post
    This is documented in the guide etech97 posted. You have to disable KMS and blacklist the nouveau module prior to installing the Nvidia driver.

    Frankly, the "hard" way to install the Nvidia drivers is so easy, I wonder why people waste their time creating the nvidia repository.

    (you'll also need the kernel development pattern installed from yast)
    Well, it's easy when it works..

    I had disabled KMS but had forgotten to blacklist the nouveau module - thanks for that. Now when I boot up the system I just get a black screen.

    Xorg.0.log:

    [ 149.451] (--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce GT 330M at PCI:1:0:0:
    [ 149.451] (--) NVIDIA(0): none
    [ 149.455] (EE) NVIDIA(0): No display devices found for this X screen.
    [ 150.514] (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
    [ 150.514] (II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
    [ 150.514] (II) UnloadModule: "fb"
    [ 150.514] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.


    Anyone any ideas? Thanks.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Intermittent lockup / system freeze with OpenSuSe 11.3

    I have the same issue with an Intel GMA X3000 integrated graphics card so I don't think, that the new Nouveau driver is the problem. (At least for me it can't be the cause of the freezes ) My computer freezes the same way that mdt26a's, approximately 3-4 times a day. With openSuSe 11.2 I hadn't have this problem.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,585
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: Intermittent lockup / system freeze with OpenSuSe 11.3

    Quote Originally Posted by mdt26a View Post
    I had disabled KMS but had forgotten to blacklist the nouveau module - thanks for that. Now when I boot up the system I just get a black screen.
    Did you try rebuilding the proprietary driver from scratch AFTER blacklisting?

    Did you rebuild in run level 3 and not in run level 5 ?

    Do you have kernel-sources and kernel-syms installed?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Intermittent lockup / system freeze with OpenSuSe 11.3

    Well, following extensive Google searching I solved the black screen problem with the NVIDIA driver. I added the following two lines to the "Device" section of my newly-created xorg.conf:

    Option "Connected Monitor" "DFP-0"
    Option "Custom EDID" "DFP-0: /proc/acpi/video/NGFX/LCD/EDID"

    Obvious when you think about it..

    OK - so I've now been running with the nvidia driver for about 12 hours, and I've never seen any of the lockups that I was getting with nouveau. So - hopefully - and for me at least - problem solved. Hmmmm.. yet another day of my life that I'll never get back.

    Thanks for all the suggestions.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,585
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: Intermittent lockup / system freeze with OpenSuSe 11.3

    Quote Originally Posted by mdt26a View Post
    Well, following extensive Google searching I solved the black screen problem with the NVIDIA driver. I added the following two lines to the "Device" section of my newly-created xorg.conf:

    Option "Connected Monitor" "DFP-0"
    Option "Custom EDID" "DFP-0: /proc/acpi/video/NGFX/LCD/EDID"

    Obvious when you think about it..

    OK - so I've now been running with the nvidia driver for about 12 hours, and I've never seen any of the lockups that I was getting with nouveau. So - hopefully - and for me at least - problem solved. Hmmmm.. yet another day of my life that I'll never get back.

    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Well done in sorting this. Not exactly intuitively obvious.

    You could write a bug report on having to do this, but I'm not sure exactly where it should be raised ? This appears to be an upstream problem ?

    It would be useful to document this somewhere, so that others do not struggle with the same problem. Perhaps you could look at the openSUSE hardware compatibility list: Portal:Hardware - openSUSE and make an edit there in the appropriate section/table, describing what need to be done to get this to function ?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Intermittent lockup / system freeze with OpenSuSe 11.3

    Hi,
    I've an VAIO VGN-SZ5XN, with dual video card, an NVIDIA go which I never use, and an Intel915 that I use.
    I'm having the same ramdon freeze and can't figure what happens, theres no log at all, no warnings, no significative info in dmesg.
    This always happened with KDE so I'm trying with GNOME now.
    What I can say is that the CPU gets really hot when it freezes and the fan goes over the roof.
    I've tried with a newer kernel 2.6.35-rc2 from kernel head repository and go the same problem.
    To be sincere I don't think it's related to NVIDIA driver as I don't use it at all.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •