Thunderbird 3 in 11.3

I did an upgrade from 11.1 -> 11.3 and I find myself locked out of Thunderbird. I was hoping I could downgrade to Thunderbird 2.x in 11.3 but that doesn’t seem possible. I just don’t get the double-passwords needed for the new Thunderbird. Is it really as hard as I’m making it? It’s asking for a password that I never set. Help! Patti

Sorry, I have not experienced anything like what you’re describing. Is there any additional information you could provide about what password information it is asking for?

Thankfully with something like a mail program, it’s not the end of the world. Really, the worst case scenario is you rename your ~/.thunderbird folder and then reconfigure your accounts. Then if you have POP3 accounts you can copy your old mail over. If you have only IMAP accounts then even that is not necessary.

In any case… Thunderbird3 is great in my opinion, share whatever information you can if you want some more assistance.

Thanks and good luck,

Dave

EDIT: Found this, but now I have what looks like 3 copies of my main email address in the left-panel - the same problem with the WIndows version (which I downgraded to ver 2.x)
Master password - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

…make that 4 copies of my main email, and all my folders are rearranged and there’s at least 2 copies of each. Is something wrong with with the self-upgrade process of Thunderbird 3?

It was asking for the indicated master security password. Not sure why the folder setup got rearranged - probably because I’ve kept the same set of folders for a decade, and just moved it around to different computers. If I knew how, I would attach a screenshot showing you my folder situation - but after going through the above password reset, it no longer asks for the master security password. Also, in Windows I had this same problem and if I delete any of the “offending” folders from one of my 3 “duplicate copies” of my main email account, then they all disappear. Oh well - if I could downgrade to Thunderbird 2 I know it would be fixed - at least that’s what fixed this same problem in Windows XP thunderbird. I’ve always used thunderbird, so I obviously agree it’s great :wink:

Sounds like you’re looking at one of the alternative folder lists… Can you change it to “All Folders” and let us know if that was more what you were expecting?

Thanks and good luck,

Dave

EDIT: Told it to use All Folders mode, but I still have 2 copies of my main email account. They took away the “delete this account” from it’s Settings page … hmmm…

Thanks, the All Folders mode was more of what I was expecting, but I still have 2 copies of my main email. They seem to be precisely synchronized.

With an account selected, you can remove it from the “Account Actions” button at the bottom.

Thank you very much - that worked well. I guess I’ll just live with two copies of my primary account. I’m a little afraid if I delete one, the other will disappear too!

Is your account accessed via IMAP or POP? If it’s IMAP, you can safely delete without risk of message lost since everything is stored on the server (not your local PC). If it’s POP, then you’d want to make sure you backup first is all.

In reality, you could just backup your whole .thunderbird directory and if something goes wrong, just swap it back in.

cp ~/.thunderbird ~/.thunderbirdbackup

That will back it up.

I just know that I, personally, would eventually go crazy with it being duplicated.

Anyhow… good luck,

Dave

Thank you very much, Dave - I should do tar -czvf ~/lotsadirectories and my life would probably be easier…