Thread: Enabling Gnome Shell in 11.3?

Cool Enabling Gnome Shell in 11.3?

Hi All

Has anyone enabled Gnome Shell in OpenSUSE 11.3 and able to explain how to do it? Annoyingly Novel's press releases mention Gnome Shell is included, but there seems to be no obvious way to activate it.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Enabling Gnome Shell in 11.3?

Quote Originally Posted by nickogecko
    Hi All

Has anyone enabled Gnome Shell in OpenSUSE 11.3 and able to explain how
    to do it? Annoyingly Novel's press releases mention Gnome Shell is
    included, but there seems to be no obvious way to activate it.

Thanks

Hi
    In YaST software management search on gnome-shell, install it, disable
    desktop effects.

You then need to logout, now when at the GDM screen click (or enter)
    your user name, in the dropdown list at the bottom panel, select gnome
    shell preview and continue with the password to login.

--
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.32.13-0.4-default
    up 1 day 2:27, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.04, 0.00
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 256.35

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    In YaST software management search on gnome-shell, install it, disable
    desktop effects.

You then need to logout, now when at the GDM screen click (or enter)
    your user name, in the dropdown list at the bottom panel, select gnome
    shell preview and continue with the password to login.

--
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.32.13-0.4-default
    up 1 day 2:27, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.04, 0.00
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 256.35
    Glad you posted this, I'm planning on using Gnome-Shell once I get oS 11.3 installed.

Other distributions put the Gnome-shell option as a Desktp Effect (None, Normal, Extra and Gnome-Shell).
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonbite View Post
    Glad you posted this, I'm planning on using Gnome-Shell once I get oS 11.3 installed.

Other distributions put the Gnome-shell option as a Desktp Effect (None, Normal, Extra and Gnome-Shell).
    Yes that is because - gnome-shell and compiz cannot run together..... I think Fedora does that....

I like the new idea in gnome-shell... I do miss the fact that I can't see all my open windows without going to the activities mode.... Also lot of desktop effects in kwin/compiz are not there in gnome-shell yet either.....

But how many people out there actually use Virtual desktops - take pain to move windows from one desktop to another.... At the most if you have multiple physical screens you might use so many desktops....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ash25 View Post
    Yes that is because - gnome-shell and compiz cannot run together..... I think Fedora does that....

I like the new idea in gnome-shell... I do miss the fact that I can't see all my open windows without going to the activities mode.... Also lot of desktop effects in kwin/compiz are not there in gnome-shell yet either.....

But how many people out there actually use Virtual desktops - take pain to move windows from one desktop to another.... At the most if you have multiple physical screens you might use so many desktops....
    I thought since it was a Desktop Effect choice they were mutually exclusive (select Gnome-Shell and by default the rest are not-selected).

I installed it and gave it a try, but the system locked up on me after a while (while doing an update). Right now I have it set to go into Gnome, but once I finish the updates I'll probably go back to Gnome-shell. I'm starting to prefer it over regular Gnome on my laptop.
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me

I'm using gnome-shell and so far it has been stable - no crashes or anything.... One small issue I notice though is that sometimes Xorg's CPU usages goes up like hell and even window switching becomes impossible - I hope they fix this glitch in the upcoming version of gnome-shell....

Blog Entries

I switched back to regular Gnome and have not run into any of the lock-ups I did in Gnome-Shell. I'll try again sometime in the near future, after hopefully some updates.

Not sure what information would be helpful to submit for a bug report (or add to an existing one), but I am willing to submit something because I am preferring it over stock-Gnome. I may, though, fool around with Plasma Netbook Workspaces just to see how that is different.

Blog Entries

I saw a Gnome-shell update come through and figured I would try it out. Lo! and behold! Gnome-shell now seems to be pretty stable. I may be a little gun-shy, but it never locked up on me last night which was great!

I'm not able to see any updates for gnome-shell... The only higher version I can see is in Index of /repositories/GNOME:/Factory/openSUSE_11.3 but it is a Factory repo.... Which version do you have ? Mine is 2.29.1-1.15

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ash25 View Post
    I'm not able to see any updates for gnome-shell... The only higher version I can see is in Index of /repositories/GNOME:/Factory/openSUSE_11.3 but it is a Factory repo.... Which version do you have ? Mine is 2.29.1-1.15
    I'll have to take a look when I am home.

It is very possible that, since I don't have my repositories auto-refresh, that it is an older update that I finally got around to "noticing". I'm still trying to learn the ins-and-outs of openSUSE's packaging system. Plus I've added different repositories from OBS, which I am not sure what to do but am keeping it because I want any updates that come with them.