Did an upgrade from 11.2 to 11.3. System boots but hangs at the desktop.

Hi,

I upgraded OpenSUSE 11.2 to 11.3 today using Zyyper on my laptop. Everything went fine with no errors whatsoever. At the end, a message was displayed at the terminal asking me if I want to see the notifications. I pressed “Y” and the system hanged there and then. I had to do a hard reboot.
After reboot the system booted fine but hanged at the desktop with no response from the keyboard, mouse, touchpad, etc.
The situation’s same after many reboots. System boots fine but hangs at the desktop. Screen resolution changed to 800x600.

Only power button works! I use it to log off and then do a reboot. No other key works. Any way to repair this installation guys?

My laptop specs are:
(Lenovo G550) Core 2 Duo T6600, 3GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, Intel X4500MHD on-board graphics.
I have a tri-boot setup, other OS’es being Ubuntu and Vista with Ubuntu being the default OS.

Thanks in advance for your time and replies.

I would guess that you have graphic driver issues.

Try this: on the boot selection screen, type “3” and <enter> to boot into runlevel 3. Does that hang as well?

Try searching this forum for your Intel graphics card. You may have to install a proprietary driver.

By the way, not that this would help you now, but for the future: if you have a choice with the laptop, pick a model that has either a Nvidia or ATI card in it. I find that it’s a lot less work to get Linux distros to work on them if they have one of those cards in them.

Did you try a failsafe boot?

@ twelveeighty

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I typed “3” at the boot selection but that didn’t help or I must say didn’t show up. Nothing happened after I pressed “3”.
I must tell that I have Ubuntu as the default OS and I have to choose OpenSUSE from the list.
Thanx for the advice regarding Nvidia and ATi Sir. I’ll keep this in mind when I make another purchase.

@ caf4926

Yes Sir, I tried failsafe boot but got on the same hanged desktop. Can we repair the installation? I have the 11.3 installation DVD.

Thank you guys for your time and replies.

Try creating a new user account via level 3 Yast
Boot to Level 3, then Yast and More…
Login with it or try (you must have auto login disabled too.

Another one: rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf if you have one. Or remove it. That way you would leave it all up to the system’s autodetection and -configuration.

Yep good idea

At the login become su -

do this

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old

@caf4926

Thanx for the reply. I created a new user through “Yast” following the odp presentation from the link You provided. But result’s the same. I have got a login screen now but can enter anything, no mouse or keyboard functions available. One thing I noticed is that the “Analog Clock” widget on the desktop is working.

@ Knurpht

Thank You for the reply. Please have a look at the screenshot from the link below. There’s no X-org.conf file Sir, only a folder named “xorg.conf.d”.

http://i25.tinypic.com/azfi40.jpg

Thank You for Your time and replies.

That is the wrong dir

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

xorg.conf is a file

So just go to /etc/X11

is there a file in there: xorg.conf

@ caf4926

Thank You for the reply.
No Sir. There is no “xorg.conf” file. I am sorry that I posted the wrong screenshot. I navigated to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and came back in X11 directory but the path is shown as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d in the previous screenshot-dunno why.

I am posting the screenshot again. Please have a look.

http://i26.tinypic.com/1z64847.jpg

Thanx for Your time and replies.

Just so I’m following you correctly: you are taking those screenshots while logged into a different distro with the openSUSE partition mounted, correct? When booting into openSUSE, at what point exactly does it hang? Do you get a login screen? Another question: did you enable “auto-login” during the installation?

I experienced similar problems as reported in this thread. I upgraded 11.2->11.3 using zyyper. The first problem I had related to vga mode 0x31a. I went into the bios and found some video settings changed. I have no explanation for this but I did have to set my clock when I booted (prior to upgrading). Maybe I have a cmos battery problem. Fixing the bios took care of the vga mode problem. Next, at the login prompt, it would hang as has been reported here and in another thread. Locks the screen up solid, have to power off to reset. However, I can log in as root without any problems at all.

Logged in as root, I deleted the user account and made a new one. It still hangs during startup as reported. I have tried 2 different user names and 2 different pw’s. But each time I used the existing home directory. Next time I’ll make a different home directory.

Jon

Maybe the grub hd mapping is wrong - like mine:
‘dup’ to 11.3 now Possible](http://forums.opensuse.org/english/news/announcements/441846-dup-11-3-now-possible.html)
Post your /boot/grub/menu.lst here to see if it helps?

How about just installing 11.3 properly as a New install. It’ll be much quicker. You can backup all your important info by booting to Ub* and copying the info over.
If you want to switchback to grub 2 after it’s easy if you have the Ub* CD

Sorry for the late reply. I was at the University.

@ twelveeighty
Yes Sir. I am taking these screenshots while logged into Ubuntu 10.04. Yes I had “autologin” enabled during the installation but that was in 11.2. I tried to upgrade to 11.3 online via “Zyyper”. Everything goes fine during the boot process but the system hangs at the desktop. Now as I disabled auto-login from the Yast (following caf4926’s link), I am struck at the login window. No keyboard, mouse or any other input works.

@ caf4926

Yep! I think You are right Sir. I’ll do a fresh install.

I never had a good time with OpenSUSE. I faced problems earlier also when I installed OpenSUSE 11.2. It recognized Windows Vista but not Ubuntu and I had to reinstall Ubuntu.
Doesn’t mean that there’s problem with OpenSUSE, it’s a superb OS, but maybe it doesn’t like my laptop! Want a KDE desktop but Kubuntu’s implementation of KDE is not to my liking. No-one implements KDE better than OpenSUSE.

I would like to **thank caf4926, twelveeighty, Knurpht, 6520302, mktyap **for Your time and replies. I appreciate Your help guys.

Take care n God Bless.

No problem.
Re: SUSE and picking up Ub*: It seldom does get it right or at all. But no need to re-install Ub* - It’s easily sorted by editing the boot menu in SUSE.

FYI: you can use the ‘rep’ button to thank people too.

Did a fresh install in the afternoon (thanx caf4926). Everything went fine except that OpenSUSE didn’t setup entry for Ubuntu in Grub (again!). Sorted this out. Thanx **“Swerdna’” **(HowTo Multiboot Ubuntu from openSUSE using the GRUB bootloader).

Now I am not able to open the drive partitions. Whenever I click on the partition in “My Computer”, an error message pops up informing** “There is no application installed that can open files of the type block device (inode/blockdevice).Do you want to try to install one?”**
If I click “Yes”, then another messagebox pops up informing** “The software to install could not be found in the currently enabled software repositories.It may be located in other repositories.
See openSUSE: 安裝其他的軟體 for details.
Do you want to configure your repositories?”**. If I again click Yes, Yast opens up and am presented with a list of already selected repos in Yast. Nothing happens thereafter. I press OK in Yast and again the same message “The software to install…”.

The partitions are mounted though. I have checked fstab.
Any suggestions would be appreciated guys.

@caf4926

Am sorry but where is the “rep” button?

http://thumbnails29.imagebam.com/8931/1f804c89303737.jpg](http://www.imagebam.com/image/1f804c89303737)
Here is the rep button

Please post result of this from a terminal

zypper lr -d

Sorry for the late reply. Was at the university.

@ caf4926

Here is the output “zyyper lr -d” Sir:

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service

—±------------------------------±--------------------------------------------±--------±--------±---------±-------±--------------------------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | KDE:KDE3 | KDE:KDE3 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE3/openSUSE_11.2 |
2 | X11:XGL | X11:XGL | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/X11:/XGL/openSUSE_11.2 |
3 | download.opensuse.org-STABLE | openSUSE BuildService - OpenOffice.org | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/OpenOffice.org:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.3 |
4 | download.opensuse.org-mozilla | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.3 |
5 | download.opensuse.org-non-oss | Main Repository (NON-OSS) | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/non-oss |
6 | download.opensuse.org-oss | Main Repository (OSS) | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
7 | download.opensuse.org-update | Main Update Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.3 |
8 | download.opensuse.org-webcam | openSUSE BuildService - Drivers for webcams | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/drivers:/webcam/openSUSE_11.3 |
9 | packman.inode.at-suse | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/11.3/ |
10 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.3-Debug | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /debug/distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
11 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/non-oss |
12 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
13 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.3-Source | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /source/distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
14 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.3-Update | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.3

Two 11.2 repos in an 11.3 system ? Thats pretty much an assured way to break things to an unrecoverable state.