OS 11.3 knetworkmanager strange behaviour

with OS 11.3 knetworkmanager behaves rather strangely.

The network icon appears in the tray as usual, but clicking on it does not open the function. Instead, Knetworkmanager is also present in the task bar and clicking on it opens and closed the network function. However, it cannot be removed from the task bar with the ‘close’ function. It seems permanently to occupy the task bar.

Is there setting somewhere to change this behaviour?

What do you mean by Network icon and Knetworkmanager icon ? I see only one blue colored icon which shows the Wifi connectivity… Could you post a screen shot ?

So once you elect to use NetworkManager and then load it from the menu or restart your computer, it will by default show up in the icon tray. Right click its icon and select “Manage Connections” to make changes. Once in Manage Connections, select Other on the left and then the Tray Icon tab, you can make changes to how NM works. When you have NetworkManager loaded, you will notice a new catagory shown in “My Computer” called Network Status, where it will say “You are Online” if your network connection is working. This new status will be missing if you use ifup.

If you don’t like how NM works, go back to Yast / Network Devices / Network Settings and on the Global Options tab, select the bullet that says “Traditional Method with ifup” and the NetworkManager will no longer bother you. It is suggested that you use NetworkManager if you have a wireless connection, but not required if you are using a wired connection.

Thank You,

I have seen this behaviour has twice now since updating to 11.3 yesterday. At this very moment, after a reboot, it is behaving normally again, so screen shots will have to wait, I’m afraid.

‘Network icon’ is the icon in the try which shows a disonnected connector when there is no connection to a network, a pop-up with message (e.g. connected) when hovering, and a menu to ‘connect to other network, enable wireless etc’ after clicking on it.

Knetworkmanager icon normally appears in the task bar after starting Knetwork manager from the application launcher. I tried it, for example, when the tray icon disappeared. Both icons appeared, but the Knetwork manager task bar could not be removed

I don’t know but when the NetworkManager is shown in the icon tray, trying to start it from the menu system does not do anything at all. Perhaps when you are not connected or there is some intermittent connection, it can do odd things to you?

Thank You,

Obviously, when the Networkmanager is in the icon tray and behaving normally, there is no need to start it again. But if it has disappeared or not responding, this would seem to be an option… and then comes the odd behaviour.