Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desktop search for KDE 4?

San Salvador, El Salvador (Central America).

Question Desktop search for KDE 4?

Hi,

I remember good old times with openSUSE 10.3 and Kerry (beagle), I could find my files super fast in that time.

Now, times are better, KDE 4 rocks, I am using openSUSE 11.2 + KDE 4.4.5. But I had to droped desktop search since openSUSE 11.0 because beagle/kerry is broken since then.

Does openSUSE 11.3 brings again a working desktop search solution for KDE users??? (not beagle). Does this KDE strigi/nepomuk thing works?

Thanks.
    xavier

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Desktop search for KDE 4?

I have activated "Nepomuk Strigi File Indexing" in openSUSE 11.3 and the KDE desktop by going to Personnel Settings / Advanced / Desktop Settings where I selected "Enable Nepomuk Semantic Desktop" and "Enable Strigi Desktop File Indexer". This gives me very fast file and text searching ability. If you have a slow computer, it has been suggested this can drag you down, but good searching requires some CPU power. I have noticed no issues on my PC using it.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

San Salvador, El Salvador (Central America).

Question Re: Desktop search for KDE 4?

Where do you enter the search terms? I mean, where is the "textfield" where you submit the key words for searching?

Thanks.

Default Re: Desktop search for KDE 4?

Try alt + F2. This brings up krunner. Configure it to your taste. You can enter a search term there.

Blog Entries

alt + F2 works as onemystic says and it is a menu option called "Find Files/Folders".

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by xcallejas View Post
    Where do you enter the search terms? I mean, where is the "textfield" where you submit the key words for searching?

Thanks.
    IMHO the best place to put your search terms is in the Search Box in Dolphin. You need to add it by customizing your toolbar first to show it, but once you do it provides a much easier Nepomuk/Strigi search interface than krunner.

Quote Originally Posted by queequeg View Post
    IMHO the best place to put your search terms is in the Search Box in Dolphin. You need to add it by customizing your toolbar first to show it, but once you do it provides a much easier Nepomuk/Strigi search interface than krunner.
    Cool, I will try this : )

Angry Re: Desktop search for KDE 4?

Don't get your hopes up, nepomuk has been a disaster from day 1 IMHO.
    Here is me searching for "Bob"

Nepomuk's response?

Pathetic.

Tumbleweed/KDE/Ati Radeon R9 270/AMD FX-6300/8Gb DDR3

Blog Entries

My simple tests relect wakou's experience. Not much activity from Nepomuk, and 'No Items Found' when searching via Dolphin. Maybe I'm missing something...

Quote Originally Posted by xcallejas View Post
    Hi,

I remember good old times with openSUSE 10.3 and Kerry (beagle), I could find my files super fast in that time.

Now, times are better, KDE 4 rocks, I am using openSUSE 11.2 + KDE 4.4.5. But I had to droped desktop search since openSUSE 11.0 because beagle/kerry is broken since then.

Does openSUSE 11.3 brings again a working desktop search solution for KDE users??? (not beagle). Does this KDE strigi/nepomuk thing works?

Thanks.
    xavier
    It's not that it doesn't work; it's that Desktop Search has changed structure, and thus is in severe flux.

With 4.4.x, Desktop Search uses nepomuk for the front end and and virtuoso for the back; however, KDE 4.5 RC2 (and the KDE 4.6 alphas) have also added strigi to the back end along with virtuoso, with nepomuk still handling the front-end duties.

(Basically, despite 4.4.x (4.4.4/4.4.5) being the default KDE, the Desktop Search portion has basically become moribund, as the structure has changed going forward.)

Because of that change, dependencies when upgrading (especially from 4.4.x or earlier) can be a real problem; just trying to get KDE 4.5 RC2 was a real hard row to hoe, and that was with 11.3 GM. In addition to adding KDE Unstable to my repos, a mere zypper ref/up was *not* enough (in fact, it resulted in only a partial upgrade that left KDE unusable); only zypper dup fixed things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast