Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Desktop search for KDE 4?

Default Re: Desktop search for KDE 4?

Quote Originally Posted by gropiuskalle View Post
    Wow.

zehnzeichen
    Wakou lols @ zehn Zeichen (and is stupid enough to have visited google translate to find what it meant), sehr gut mein freund..

Tumbleweed/KDE/Ati Radeon R9 270/AMD FX-6300/8Gb DDR3

I hate to mention, but in Windows, start>find enter anything and it finds it. I have somewhere on these forums posted results of timed tests, with kfind taking IIRC 12 minutes not to find anything on a search of a hard drive, MSWin taking 30 seconds or so.
    There might be several reasons for that. When some software will work for pretty much anyone, it is most likely not the softwares fault when it is not working properly on one system. A buggy filesystem, a damaged harddisk, an error in the database (or no database at all) - you are acting pretty monocausal by accusing KFind only. You might find the crux of the matter once you start trying to find out what's wrong *before* assuming it is some applications fault. And hey: finding out about troubles yourself or reading manuals and the like is something a Linux user should at least be open for.

Quote Originally Posted by gropiuskalle View Post
    And hey: finding out about troubles yourself or reading manuals and the like is something a Linux user should at least be open for.
    head hands - Google Search

sigh......
    "Manuals and the like....." Do you think I did not try?
    Manuals for what?
    Nepomuck?
    Strigi?
    Akonadi?
    Virtuoso?
    Redland?
    Soprano?
    MySql?

I did try once, the "manual" or "documentation" for nepomuck tried SO hard to impress with its pointless use of sixth-form social studies terminology that I filled the sick-bag conveniently placed beneath my office chair and moved on.

I quote myself:
    Quote Originally Posted by Me in a very bad mood some time ago
    We had all this with Beagle didn't we? Everybody ended just by disabling it. (same thing with indexing in MSWindoze IIRC)
    Or is this a "solution" looking for a problem?
    Does anyone "need" a "semantic" desktop? Or an "Ontological" anything?
    I could use clever sounding sounding adjectives which have no meaning too!
    I prefer to use good descriptive simple words, but I would get myself banned from the forum.

Anyone here please write a little post, explaining:
    What these pains - in - the a*** are supposed to do
    How are they to be used when and if they ever work properly?
    How to completely remove everything related to this mess, and what should be re-installed to have a functioning system.
    I have posted before asking for a simple and functional GUI search, a front end for "find" or even "locate" would be cool, or like the one in Windows XP!
    I ended up making an alias for find with a little script from here:
    Bash alias with args. - openSUSE Forums
    It is far from perfect but it sort of works.
    It took me about 20 hours of instruction to learn how to drive a truck. I have earned a living from it ever since. I have spent much more than that with Nepomuck etc etc and it has repaid nothing but pain.
    I upped to KDE4.4.0 today and hoped that nepMUCK etc would now function a bit. I have let it do it's DB four times, deleted .kde4/share/config/nep* and /apps/nep* numerous times, logged out, rebooted, downloaded more bits of Virtuoso, soprano and other stuff, it still can't find a file. Why is this stuff forced upon us when it is so far from being usable?

Ontology (from the Greek ὄν, genitive ὄντος: of being (neuter participle of εἶναι: to be) and -λογία, -logia: science, study, theory) is the philosophical study of the nature of being, existence or reality in general, as well as the basic categories of being and their relations. Traditionally listed as a part of the major branch of philosophy known as metaphysics, ontology deals with questions concerning what entities exist or can be said to exist, and how such entities can be grouped, related within a hierarchy, and subdivided according to similarities and differences.
    Yep, meaningless! and.......

Semantics[1] is the study of meaning, usually in language. The word "semantics" itself denotes a range of ideas, from the popular to the highly technical. It is often used in ordinary language to denote a problem of understanding that comes down to word selection or connotation. This problem of understanding has been the subject of many formal inquiries, over a long period of time. In linguistics, it is the study of interpretation of signs or symbols as used by agents or communities within particular circumstances and contexts.[2] Within this view, sounds, facial expressions, body language, proxemics have semantic (meaningful) content, and each has several branches of study. In written language, such things as paragraph structure and punctuation have semantic content; in other forms of language, there is other semantic content.[2]

The formal study of semantics intersects with many other fields of inquiry, including proxemics, lexicology, syntax, pragmatics, etymology and others, although semantics is a well-defined field in its own right, often with synthetic properties.[3] In philosophy of language, semantics and reference are related fields. Further related fields include philology, communication, and semiotics. The formal study of semantics is therefore complex.

Semantics is sometimes contrasted with syntax, the study of the symbols of a language (without reference to their meaning), and pragmatics, the study of the relationships between the symbols of a language, their meaning, and the users of the language.[4]

The word semantic in its modern sense is considered to have first appeared in French as smantique in Michel Bral's 1897 book, Essai de smantique[5].

In international scientific vocabulary semantics is also called semasiology.

The discipline of Semantics is distinct from Alfred Korzybski's General Semantics, which is a system for looking at the semantic reactions of the whole human organism in its environment to some event, symbolic or otherwise.

Yes, pretty much meaningless as well.

Tumbleweed/KDE/Ati Radeon R9 270/AMD FX-6300/8Gb DDR3

I have the same problem as others, no luck with Nepomuk.
    But as gropiuskalle mentioned, why not give it a try to KFind, much more better and configurable.
    Its already there, can be opened from kicker menu.
    Linux[openSUSE, KDE], PHP, MySQL, Wordpress, Tech News, etc :
    http://anl4u.com

"Manuals and the like....." Do you think I did not try?
    Yes, I do think that. No offense meant, but you did not even know that KFind was working with wildcards (in that other thread). Instead you started quite a rant about it (and stopped replying after I explained the proper way to use it). And unlike the Strigi/Nepomuk/whatever-combo, which indeed seems to give many users some hassle and need to investigate, the KFind-manual can be read in something like two or three minutes.

San Salvador, El Salvador (Central America).

I can confirm that Nepomuk is working and the krunner and search toolbar in dolphin are working too. I just feel that it could exist another graphic search dialog, like a plasmoid, or even better improve krunner, that could show result more like Finder in MacOS or even better, more practical info, and maybe not the same nepomuk icon for all, maybe a small icon of nepomuk saying that was found by nepomuk but a main icon corresponding to its mime type.

My system is: openSUSE 11.3 + KDE 4.4.4 (from KDE's stable online repo.)

rgds.
    Xavier

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123