Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Desktop search for KDE 4?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Desktop search for KDE 4?

Thanks for the info PGHammer.

Strange, I had it working on my computer. Of course I use Yast to do all my installation stuff. With the QT front end you can then tell it to switch all packages to the new repositories. I know there's a zypper way to do this as well.

Anyway, I had it working on my Desktop computer. Make sure you tell strigi where to look for files. Otherwise it can't index them. You can configure this by going to Configure Desktop (Personal Settings)>Advanced>Desktop Search, then clicking File Indexing and specifying which folders to browse. You can also search through the application launcher to get to files and folders.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by wakou View Post
    Don't get your hopes up, nepomuk has been a disaster from day 1 IMHO.
    Here is me searching for "Bob"

Nepomuk's response?

Pathetic.
    I've actually had much better results from Nepomuk/strigi than I ever did with Beagle.

Here's me searching for "Zombie"

and it works as advertized, listing not only items with "Zombie" in the title, but also items with "Zombie" in the files themselves, and it does it very quickly.

I couldn't help but notice that your strigi indexer is not running in your system tray. Are you sure your files have been indexed and that the nepomuk server is running?

I'am surprised that Nepomuk/Strigi is working for some persons and for others not .
    The desktopsearch using Strigi (in Dolphin) was working in 11.2 with KDE 4.3 , but it stopped working with some of the newer KDE 4.4 versions. Also in Opensuse 11.2 the search is not working.
    I will try to delete the files under ".kde4/share/apps/nepomuk/repository/main/data/virtuosobackend/" and let Nepomuk/Strigi assemble a new database.

Best wishes

Michael

snip
    Quote Originally Posted by queequeg View Post
    I've actually had much better results from Nepomuk/strigi than I ever did with Beagle.

I couldn't help but notice that your strigi indexer is not running in your system tray. Are you sure your files have been indexed and that the nepomuk server is running?
    no but yeah but no but ....

I have tried everything, starting stopping deleted it all re-installing etc etc etc. Everytime I do a zypper up (daily)I get updates to nepomuck, strigi, virtuoso etc etc and hope that THIS time it will actualy work, but no. I installed 11.3 fresh on to my laptop, everything works out of the box except................. you guessed, nepomuck. The indexing service does not even bother to try now even when I go Systemsetttings>advanced>desktop search>enable> apply it just ignores me and does nothing. I have SOME sort of functionality via alt F2 (krunner?) but it is not what I want. It is a hopeless pile of ordure and should never have been released in this condition.

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...l-etc-etc.html

Tumbleweed/KDE/Ati Radeon R9 270/AMD FX-6300/8Gb DDR3

As much as you "tried everything" with KFind, I suppose.

Like this......

Wow.

zehnzeichen

As much, yes, as I can reasonably be expected to do. As much as a normal person might reasonably be expected to do. I hate to mention, but in Windows, start>find enter anything and it finds it. I have somewhere on these forums posted results of timed tests, with kfind taking IIRC 12 minutes not to find anything on a search of a hard drive, MSWin taking 30 seconds or so.

Blog Entries

The indexing service does not even bother to try now even when I go Systemsetttings>advanced>desktop search>enable> apply it just ignores me and does nothing.
    Same here. The nepomuk server is not running even though enabled...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast