Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Subpixel Hinting Packages (Ubuntu Lucid Patches) are now available for 11.3

Default Subpixel Hinting Packages (Ubuntu Lucid Patches) are now available for 11.3

A follow up to my previous post at :- Subpixel Hinting for 11.2- GTK Apps- Solution, where I had patched 11.2 RPMs with Ubuntu patches for better subpixel hinting and font configuration support. I have now rebuilt the cairo, freetype and fontconfig packages with patches from Lucid/Maverick. They're available at:- Index of /repositories/home:/anshuljain:/ubuntu_patch_11.3/openSUSE_11.3

To install the procedure is as follows:-

1. Run the command: zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...atch_11.3.repo

2. Run this command: zypper dup. This will upgrade your existing cairo, freetype and fontconfig packages to the patched ones.

3. Add the following lines in /etc/X11/Xresources:-

Xft.dpi: 96
    Xft.antialias: true
    Xft.rgba: rgb
    Xft.hinting: true
    Xft.hintstyle: hintslight
    Xft.lcdfilter: lcddefault

Change the line "Xft.hintstyle: hintslight" to "Xft.hintstyle: hintslight/hintmedium/hintfull" depending on what you select in your GNOME or KDE desktop font settings.

My recommendation is to set the settings to "Slight" and turn on "Subpixel Hinting" under (for GNOME only) Change Desktop Background (Right click on desktop) -> Fonts -> Details -> Subpixel & Slight. In the screenshot below, I've used Calibri fonts with 10 pt size, disabled embedded bitmaps through .fonts.conf. Choose whats best for you

The screenshot above is from a pretty crappy laptop that I'm using right now, in the next few days I'll post a few more screenshots from my vastly better laptop which has a top of the line graphics card

Whats so special about these patches? Ubuntu has always had better font rendering support as compared to other distros. Their patches are never adapted upstream as they tend to deviate from what the devs want. But, they're better than the original LCD filtering patches provided by the freetype devs.

Enjoy!

Default Re: Subpixel Hinting Packages (Ubuntu Lucid Patches) are now available for 11.3

A quick update- I've created a backport of freetype 2.4.0 which has the bytecode interpreter enabled by default, due to the expiration of Apple patents. Also compiled are fontconfig and cairo against this updated freetype. Eager users may use this repo :- Index of /repositories/home:/anshuljain:/ubuntu_patch_11.3_backport/openSUSE_11.3 and the instructions in the post above. You should use either this repo, or the one specified in the previous post. Please do not use both the repos!!

Default Re: Subpixel Hinting Packages (Ubuntu Lucid Patches) are now available for 11.3

By the way, in 11.2 I had good fonts in Open Office under Gnome. But not in 11.3. Dont know what to do.

Can you post the output of xrdb -q? Have you applied the lines mentioned in #3 to your Xresources file?

Well indeed when I applied your changes all looks great (i.e. OpenOffice). I even can say it's better than I had under 11.2: in 11.2 OOo only had subpixel hinting in Gnome and not under KDE3. Now that is in KDE3 also.

Now subpixel rendering does not work only in some Java apps (FrostWire) and Mono Winforms (SMath Studio).

Hmm the repo seems to be down.

The repo should be up now. I had to disable the builds to remove an experimental patch. There are now 2 repos- one which carries the openSUSE default freetype 2.3.9 and the other is the latest freetype 2.4.1. The fontconfig and cairo libs are both built against this freetype. The repo which has freetype 2.4.1 is named "_backport".

I'll be packaging another set of patches from the infinality.com blog which has an interesting set (and superior set as compared to the Ubuntu patches) of patches. I'll be releasing them in the "_experimental" repo.

With your suggested changes in x11 configuration I now even have subpixel rendering in GDM logon screen. Can you pack this config in a separate package?

(BTW, slight hinting is not good in fact, only full is good).

Thanks for the great work, works like a charm in openSUSE 11.3 KDE (FF and Ooo looking MUCH nicer)

Thanks a lot, it looks awesome!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast