Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vmware 7 doesn't install on Opensuse 11.3

Default Re: Vmware 7 doesn't install on Opensuse 11.3

Quote Originally Posted by JJMT View Post
    Just for the record, I couldn't get Workstation 7 to install on 11.3 (couldn't find kernel headers), so rather than wrestling with that (again), I just downloaded Workstation 7.1 from the VMWare site and that installed fine.
    I am trying namely 7.1

Ok I got it (VMWare Workstation 7) to install after poking at it... (and thanks to the post on page 2 by silenuz)

1. Check that kernel source, syms, headers packages are installed
    2. Check that autoconf.h is in /usr/src/linux/includes/linux
    3. If not, then run make oldconfig && make prepare in /usr/src/linux
    4. find / -name ‘autoconf.h’
    5. Copy the autoconf.h file to /usr/src/linux/includes/linux (The header is in some weird place like /lib/src/`uname -r`/generated/ or something)
    6. cd /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source
    7. For all the tar files inside, do:
    a. tar xf [name]
    b. cd [name]
    c. make
    8. cd back to the source, copy all the .o files to /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc as .ko files (create misc if its not there, do not place it anywhere else, the vmware service only looks in misc)9.
    9. depmod -a
    10. /etc/init.d/vmware restart

It should then load up fine... the only thing thats annoying is that I have a small KDE panel on auto hide at the bottom of the screen, and in the VM it seems to trigger before the Windows start bar Had to move the windows task bar to the left of the screen...

Also posted on Installing VMWare 7.0 on openSuse 11.3 – Rants inside, a bit more details on there

Hope this helps
    Last edited by elysoun; 06-Aug-2010 at 04:50. Reason: Wrong title

I had the same problem after a Kernel update in opensuse 11.3 to 2.6.34.4-0.1-desktop.
    My vmware stopped working.
    After I rebooted the computer I reinstalled vmware and it worked after that.
    So my solution was just to reboot the PC.
    Hope this works for you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123