Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AMD driver *Solution* (tested and proven for openSuSE 11.3 GM!)

Default Re: AMD driver *Solution* (tested and proven for openSuSE 11.3 GM!)

I tried this script, as well as the guide here, and in both cases I get a blank screen during boot, and the computer locks up. I can still boot in failsafe mode, so I guess it crashes when loading the fglrx driver, but I can't find any errors in any logs.

I've tried the nomodeset trick, as well I trying to boot with acpi=off which seemed to work for some people at another forum.

Edit: my card is a Radeon HD 5870.

I've tried the (impressive) script and followed the (excellent) instructions, but am also having trouble. Every time I reboot and perform lsmod, I find that fglrx has NOT loaded. (Neither has radeon, btw, so it's not trying that.) Also, I have both "nomodeset" and "NO_KMS_IN_INITRD=yes".

KDE loads, but there are issues. Obviously I get no compositing, but also if I try to switch to another VT (ctrl+alt+Fn) then I get a graphics fault with scanning horizontal white lines and the system freezes.

It probably goes without saying that neither fglrxinfo nor amdcccle work.

Why would fglrx not be loading? What configuration change do I (we) need to make? ( It's a learning experience! )

More information:

I tried adding fglrx to INITRD_MODULES and MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT. After that, by the point of user login, fglrx was loaded. However it still doesn't work (all the same symptoms as before).

I'm essentially back to square one. Except, I wonder, could it be influenced by kernel version? I'm using 2.6.34-12-desktop. Should it be -default?

Quote Originally Posted by Solar_Granulation View Post
    More information:

I tried adding fglrx to INITRD_MODULES and MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT. After that, by the point of user login, fglrx was loaded. However it still doesn't work (all the same symptoms as before).

I'm essentially back to square one. Except, I wonder, could it be influenced by kernel version? I'm using 2.6.34-12-desktop. Should it be -default?

Please, execute atigetsysteminfo.sh and upload the report file /root/atisysteminfo-report.txt to FileBin.ca - The Place for Your Files. After upload, please post the link here.

More information:

Nyet; we can eliminate the kernel as a factor (I'm running the same kernel). Are you running openSuSE 11.3 with a language other than US-English or German or with any odd repos other than Packman? Do you have all the pre-requisites installed (the same ones listed in the ATI "hard way" driver HOWTO in the wiki)?

Hmm, yes, I'm running 11.3 with UK English. Right now I have only the installation repos enabled (should I add Packman?) All pre-requisites installed as per "hard way".

@Freespacer: I'll do as you ask later today. Bit of a busy day, so can't do it right now. One question, though; where do I find atigetsysteminfo.sh?

@Freespacer: I'll do as you ask later today. Bit of a busy day, so can't do it right now. One question, though; where do I find atigetsysteminfo.sh?
    The script atigetsysteminfo.sh is already installed with ATI Catalyst.
    You have to execute the script in the console as root.

Guys I have tried a hard way following the "ATI HD57xxx fglrx drivers under 11.3" tutorial lizards.opensuse.org/2010/07/15/ati-hd57xxx-flgrx-drivers-under-11-3/.
    After the first reboot my openSUSE 11.3 started up with fglrx drivers. Then I noticed some failures because of the radeon module still working so the solution was to run mkinitrd. By now I get a better video acceleration (huge differences running wow under wine).
    Anyway I can't yet get a smooth and stable video at first because of composition as I have to turn it on every boot and the desktop environment shows strange behavior in windows like black strips and so.
    Code:
    hernan@linux-3ule:~> fglrxinfo 
    display: :0.0  screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400
    OpenGL version string: 3.3.9901 Compatibility Profile Context
    As you may notice I'm trying this with a HD2400 chip.
    In openSUSE 11.2 fglrx worked like a charm. So I would like to think that these failures are just because a non official support from AMD people. I think I will need to wait for them to install the correct proprietary ati drivers for oS 11.3.

By the way I'm trying this just to get a better video quality. IMHO free radeon drivers can't yet even reach fglrx. Seriously.
    HP pavilion dv6-6185la - Intel i7 - AMD Radeon 6770M - openSUSE 12.2 - KDE 4.9

Quote Originally Posted by Freespacer View Post
    The script atigetsysteminfo.sh is already installed with ATI Catalyst.
    You have to execute the script in the console as root.
    Thanks

Script run and file uploaded at http://filebin.ca/dvunky/atisysteminfo-report.txt

Um, have I mentioned that my card is a Radeon HD 3650 (sometimes reported as a 3670)?

Thanks

Script run and file uploaded at http://filebin.ca/dvunky/atisysteminfo-report.txt

Um, have I mentioned that my card is a Radeon HD 3650 (sometimes reported as a 3670)?
    Okay, I see only that the fglrx kernel module wouldn't loaded.

Go to next round.

Please, execute following commands step by step as root and post the output here:
    Code:
    ll /lib/modules/2.6.34-12-desktop/build
    Code:
    ll /usr/src
    Code:
    fglrx-kernel-build.sh
    Code:
    hwinfo --gfxcard
    Code:
    cd /etc/modprobe.d && grep -r 'fglrx' .
    Code:
    cd /etc/modprobe.d && grep -r 'radeon' .
    Code:
    cat /etc/sysconfig/kernel | grep -v '^#'
    Code:
    cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Code:
    mkinitrd
    Whatever the reason is?!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast