Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11.3 Intel blank screen at boot

Question 11.3 Intel blank screen at boot

Hi. I currently have 11.2 installed on my Dell Optiplex sx270. This desktop pc has Intel chips and cards all the way. When I boot the KDE live cd for 11.3, my monitor goes into sleep mode before the desktop loads. If I wait long enough, I will eventually hear the open music, but I still have no screen. This is not a new problem - 11.2 is one of the only OS's that I have been able to install on this system. I was aware that this could happen from the release notes, but I really hoped it wouldn't. I am a noob and need commands for further info to be posted. Please help me. I want to be updated and really fell in love with 11.2.

p.s. my plan had been to boot the live cd and do a fresh install from the desktop. I've had such bad luck installing linux operating systems because of this Intel ****.

I have the Intel 865G Integrated Graphics Controller.

Blog Entries

Default Re: 11.3 Intel blank screen at boot

There is no Sax2 and no udev. The way to do this is Xorg -configure. X.Org Wiki - ConfigurationHelp
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

Thanks a bunch. Now, how do I actually do this? I understand the basics but do I get to root from the live cd? I am so confused!

Do I need to install it and then run configure xorg using rescue to get to root?

I am seeing the same problem. I have a brand new system with onboard graphics ATI HD 4200.
    I can login with failsafe choice from boot menu and get in - it brings me to the KDM screen where I can pick my username or login as root. Failsafe does not do what I expect and bring me to the init/runlevel 3 login - it brings me to the init 5 one which appears to naturally be fully enabled. I wsa able to run YAST, choose repos and update the system. I can not launch the X - configure process as X is already running. I chose to have the system Auto-configure after the install process which was very distressing to have it proceed/complete without any live screen. I will try to edit manually the startup process and make it runlevel 3 and try the X -configure.

Carlos E. R. NNTP User

On 2010-07-15 15:56 GMT lyrica42 wrote:

>
    > Do I need to install it and then run configure xorg using rescue to
    > get to root?

No, boot the installed system by either entering "x11failsafe" at the
    boot prompt (in grub) or "3". Or if already booted, by pressing
    ctrl-alt-f1.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Minas Tirith))

Thank you! I will see if I can get the installer to run and will attempt your suggestions. I'll be back if it doesn't work lol.

Well, I tried just booting the installer. Of course that went to blank screen too. I can't get it installed to try to fix it.

I don't know what to do. it's getting to the point that I won't be able to have a linux OS because either my config gets blacklisted (Ubuntu/Debian) or on update i'm screwed (OpenSuse, DreamLinux 4.0 beta which previously worked just did the same thing to me too).

Well, X -configure creates an xorg.conf.new file but with the same problem. The screen is completely black. I can change the resolution with ctrl-alt-+ , but it changes the resolution of a black screen. I think I'm missing something here, but I will keep trying.

Hi everyone, this is my first post and of course I have an issue... posting from my Windows7 right now, would have liked to just tryout opensuse 11.3 instead. ;-)
    I believe i have the same issue, system boots only in failsafe mode, if i boot standard mode I see the green background for a second then the screen turns black! The system is running normally. I can shut it down by pressing the power button. I "just" don't see anything, which is quite annoying, since I've been looking forward to the release of 11.3 for a long time (especially with the announcement of better support for the latest Intel hardware) and my latest "try" to install Ubuntu 10.04 (because this resulted in the same problem: installation ok, but black screen).

Hardware: Thinkpad x201 Intel Core i5, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD

This is my third Linux installation and I am quite a Linux-newbie (though quite advanced in the Windows-world, but that is useles here ;-) )

Only thing I did to try get it fixed is running X -configure (again), but I expect that happened already during installation. It ran successfully, but that didn't help either.

I must say that this is quite a disappointing experience, the hardware is not that new. And even the installation runs normally with native resolution (well, so is failsafe mode). What am I missing in failsafe mode? Eye-Candy?

Any more suggestions about how to get the installation to run normally in standard (not failsafe) mode? I'd really like to use a linux-based system with my hardware fully supported, using failsafe mode makes me feel like I have failed (well, to be honest I have if I don't get it running).

Thanks a lot in advance and best regards,

LeChuckie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast