Thread: Gutenprint questions

Question Gutenprint questions

I have an Epson Artisan 710 printer and I have SuSE 11.2.
    I was told by the Gutenprint developer that Gutenprint version 5.2.5 has an explicit driver for the 710; it's identical to the 700, but it's available. It also fixes escputil, which didn't work correctly for the 700/710 in 5.2.4.

Right now, I have 5.2.4 installed from an .rpm for my SuSE 11.2 system. I don't think that an .rpm is available yet for 5.2.5 so I'm guessing I'll have to install it from source. My question is: Do I have to uninstall the 5.2.4 rpm version first? I need to know if I should uninstall the 5.2.4 Gimp Plugin and the Gutenprint-devel packages too.

I also hope that the Samsung CLP510 is still supported. (I haven't tested the duplex printing mode yet.) On SuSE 10.0 I had to install that printer's driver manually and it involved filter files. I just saw a note that ppd's that use the filter files were dropped, wouldn't that affect the way the Samsung works?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Gutenprint questions

I just checked in openSUSE 11.3 and Gutenprint is at 5.2.4-11.1 and so no help there. Normally, when you install a newer program it will overwrite the older one. You may have to restart your computer to see the new version work/run. Only if the documentation suggests an uninstall or if the new install did not work do I try doing an uninstall first and I update most all programs without uninstalling the old one first.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Gutenprint questions

Thank you. I will try that out.

Default Re: Gutenprint questions

Well, I just tried to compile from source and when I got to 'make' this is the error I got. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Code:
    gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../..  -I../../include -I../../include   -Wall -Wcast-align -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -Wwrite-strings -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Winline -Wformat=2 -finline-limit=131072  -DCUPS_DRIVER_INTERFACE -DALL_LINGUAS='"cs da de el en_GB es fr hu it ja nb nl pl pt ru sk sv zh_TW"'   -Disfinite=finite  -O6 -MT gutenprint_5_2-genppd.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/gutenprint_5_2-genppd.Tpo -c -o gutenprint_5_2-genppd.o `test -f 'genppd.c' || echo './'`genppd.c
    genppd.c: In function ‘write_ppd’:
    genppd.c:1847: warning: format not a string literal, argument types not checked
    genppd.c:1847: warning: format not a string literal, argument types not checked
    genppd.c:2252: warning: format not a string literal, argument types not checked
    genppd.c:2252: warning: format not a string literal, argument types not checked

make[3]: *** [gutenprint.5.2] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/<username>/rpm-s/Gutenprint525/gutenprint-5.2.5/src/cups'
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/<username>/rpm-s/Gutenprint525/gutenprint-5.2.5/src'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/<username>/rpm-s/Gutenprint525/gutenprint-5.2.5'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Gutenprint questions

To install through source code using the compile option can be troublesome to most. This is why it is better to use the Yast Software Management route when possible since all of the included software has already been compiled against that version of openSUSE. To do this on your own you have to three things. The correct compiler tools and versions, the correct prerequisites to use the program you are trying to compile and luck. To know what is required you must look through the documentation that comes with the program to make sure openSUSE has the required stuff installed before you do the application compile. Unless someone else has had to do the very same task, it may be kind of silent around here. I suggest you must make sure (by trying) the included software in openSUSE does not work because sometimes it does work, even when it is said it will not. And, you need to read all of the Text files that come with the source code to make sure openSUSE has all of the right stuff to do the deed.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas