Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nvidia for Newbies part 1

Default Re: Nvidia for Newbies part 1

It doesn't work for me, after reboot all I get is a black screen. I've tried installing older versions and with the repo, which is now working, and still get the same. I installed it from the failsafe entry, editing menu.lst to write "nomodeset", in GRUB, Yast,... and still nothing. Nouveau works but can't use desktop effects.

My nvidia is 9600GT and worked in opensuse 11.2 with the nvidia driver. Is there any other way I could try? Thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by simon37 View Post
    It doesn't work for me, after reboot all I get is a black screen. I've tried installing older versions and with the repo, which is now working, and still get the same. I installed it from the failsafe entry, editing menu.lst to write "nomodeset", in GRUB, Yast,... and still nothing. Nouveau works but can't use desktop effects.

My nvidia is 9600GT and worked in opensuse 11.2 with the nvidia driver. Is there any other way I could try? Thanks.
    Take a look at the SPECIFIC instructions in this guide to see if it helps: SDB:Configuring graphics cards - openSUSE Note that for the proprietary driver it refers you to here: SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE Pay attention to the WARNING on the top of that page.

Thanks, but I followed that and couldn't make it work. Anyway, when I saw the new driver I also downloaded it for my Windows partition, I tried to install it and got the same behaviour. I think it must be some trouble with my BIOS settings, I've been playing with the BIOS configuration with no luck for now. I'll reach the nvidia people if I can't make it work. Thanks a lot for your help!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by simon37 View Post
    Thanks, but I followed that and couldn't make it work. Anyway, when I saw the new driver I also downloaded it for my Windows partition, I tried to install it and got the same behaviour. I think it must be some trouble with my BIOS settings, I've been playing with the BIOS configuration with no luck for now. I'll reach the nvidia people if I can't make it work. Thanks a lot for your help!
    Note there is also a nVidia forum ... the Linux part of the nVidia forum is here: NVIDIA Linux - nV News Forums

Phew! That's a mouthful. Thanks!

Thanks for all the good info you supply on these forms, really appreciated. A request for smaller image files please (links). I'm on a very slow dial-up and it will take all night to load all those 2.9mb pics. I've been looking for days for an article like this. Very new to SuSE and just trying to find info is very frustrating at times. Thanks again.

Default AW: Re: Nvidia for Newbies part 1

Hello Sagemta !

First I have to thank you for your nearly idiot-proof instruction,for me,it works!
    Nethertheless,there are some little points left to go over.
    If you assume,the new users have no meaning about working on the console,it would
    be better,to link them to a special "First steps on a console"-thread,like you did
    with the "SDB:Configuring graphics cards".
    And what is about after success,do I have to change-back the setting in the sysconfig?
    For the future,I would suggest,to store each NVIDIA-version from their repo in a local
    repo.Then you have the option,to install the actual best fitting version easily with Yast!

Greetings !

lostinspace
    openSUSE 11.3, KDE 4.4, 64-bit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12