Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No internet access from Konsole

Default No internet access from Konsole

OpenSuse 11.2 - 64

I'm trying to install the new version of hplip and the process stops with an error message stating there is no network access.

I tried to ping a known address and sure enough, no response.

I shut off the firewall on this machine. I shut off the firewall on my router. No access from Konsole.

Is there some setting I can't find?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: No internet access from Konsole

What version of hplip are you trying to update to? What problem are you trying to solve by loading this update? I see that the most recent version of openSUSE 11.3 RC2 contains hplip version 3.10.2 which works fine for me and it offers to download the latest printer driver when one exists. What procedure are you using to "download" this later hplip version when you are getting this error?

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: No internet access from Konsole

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    What version of hplip are you trying to update to? What problem are you trying to solve by loading this update? I see that the most recent version of openSUSE 11.3 RC2 contains hplip version 3.10.2 which works fine for me and it offers to download the latest printer driver when one exists. What procedure are you using to "download" this later hplip version when you are getting this error?

Thank You,
    I am trying to update to version 3.10.5 which is the latest version. I had to purchase a new printer last week and it is not supported by the version of hplip that came with Suse 11.2. On HP's web site, one can download hplip-3.10.05.run file and follow the directions there to install the driver. You're supposed to run hplip-3.10.5.run file from a terminal window, follow the on screen prompts and supposedly you'll have the new driver installed without any problems. It's apparently a script that compiles the driver as it shows missing dependencies, some being development packages and asks for permission to download these files. This is where it comes to a halt, as I can't seem to access the internet from a terminal window.

I know it's only a few days until I can get 11.3 (Yay!). I thought I'd use this time to try to learn something about compiling an application as if I totally screw it up, I won't be without for too long.

Bart

Blog Entries

Smile Re: No internet access from Konsole

OK montana_suse_user, I downloaded the file hplip-3.10.5.run and using the instructions ran this program from the terminal mode. This program is a binary file that is running some sort of installation script that will compile HPLIP to your version of Linux. The network issues you claim to have is actually the compiler letting you know that you need to load the application python-devel in order to compile in network support for your printer. If you go to Yast / Software Management and install this application it is just one of nine different requirements it will ask for, one after another, but only asking for one new install at a time. Thus requiring you to go through the whole install process from the start before you find out you are missing another compiler requirement. The first four files where said to be required while the next five were said to be optional. I did finally get this "latest version to load, but in the end I think you are way off track.

So, openSUSE comes with hplip version 3.9.8 installed for you. If you have not yet tried this version, then follow these instructions. In order to install the program you must use the menu Run Command and enter:

Code:
    kdesu /usr/bin/hp-setup
    then the root password. When I searched the HP web site for my HP printer, it told me I needed the newer version as well even as the pre-installed version really works. When I installed my HP C5180 printer I am told a newer driver exists and asked if I want to download it and I answer yes. After the installation, log out and back into openSUSE for your changes to fully take affect.

montana_suse_user I am almost certain you will never get this new version of hplip to install and work properly. You need to try the built in version first and come back and tell us if it works or not before we go any further.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Thanks so much for your help and the effort you put in. Please! Don't go away!

When I run hp-setup, it says it cannot find any devices to connect. My understanding is that the current version doesn't understand my "Brand New" printer. This is where I started to try the other methods. There are two.. this so-called automated method, with instructions, and the manual method, with more instructions, which involves downloading a tarball and compiling the driver from source.

As I stated, I tried the automated method and ran aground when my Konsole would not access the internet. So, I tried the manual version and got a configure file with a LOT of error messages. Knowing I was going to need some real help from someone much smarted than I am, I decided to try to start with figureing out why Konsole cannot see the net. Obviously, I'm reading and posting to this list, so the OS does see the internet. How come Konsole won't?

OR, should I start another thread and ask for help with the manual version of compiling the driver?

I can understand that a hardware device that was created a year after the OS could require new software, but I am convinced that the hardware manufacturer, who proudly announces Linux Support, should certainly make this a whole lot easier. Grrr!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by montana_suse_user View Post
    Thanks so much for your help and the effort you put in. Please! Don't go away!

As I stated, I tried the automated method and ran aground when my Konsole would not access the internet. So, I tried the manual version and got a configure file with a LOT of error messages. Knowing I was going to need some real help from someone much smarted than I am, I decided to try to start with figureing out why Konsole cannot see the net. Obviously, I'm reading and posting to this list, so the OS does see the internet. How come Konsole won't?

OR, should I start another thread and ask for help with the manual version of compiling the driver?

I can understand that a hardware device that was created a year after the OS could require new software, but I am convinced that the hardware manufacturer, who proudly announces Linux Support, should certainly make this a whole lot easier. Grrr!

Bart
    Hi Bart; HP has been a windows centric company for a long time and has only recently started with linux so they're still in a learning curve.

As for your problem, what messages did you get when you tried the automatic method? I don't currently have any HP products so don't have hplip to test with, but the messages would help in determining what the cause of the problem is. Also, what error messages did you get in the manual mode?
    Tom Taylor - retired penguin
    AMD Phenom II x4 955 -- 4GB RAM -- 2x1.5TB sata3
    openSUSE 12.3x86_64 openSUSE 13.1-M2x86_64
    KDE 4.8.5, FF 14.0.1 - 8- KDE 4.10.0, FF 20.0
    registered linux user 263467

The message I got with the automatic mode, just after the process said it was going to download missing dependencies, was "Konsole cannot access network" and the process aborted. The Bash prompt came back. Hence my question as to why Konsole cannot see the internet.

The error file from the manual mode attempt was just full of errors that seemed to me, to represent the same missing dependencies.

Although it would be nice to get this new printer going, it is more important, to me, to understand why I can't get it going.

In 4 days, I can download 11.3 which has the driver I need. I can wait that long for printer access. I've been far too long without learning what I should know and using Suse like a Mac user ie: not knowing what app names are, where files are, just click and it works! That speaks very, very highly of an OS I know. The developers have paid their dues, it's time I paid mine and learned something about how stuff works.

Once I get Internet access from Konsole, then I can ask why the missing dependencies have different names then the files available in Yast. I bet that'll be fun!

Bart

montana suse user wrote:
    > The message I got with the automatic mode, just after the process said
    > it was going to download missing dependencies, was "Konsole cannot
    > access network" and the process aborted. The Bash prompt came back.
    > Hence my question as to why Konsole cannot see the internet.
    >
    > The error file from the manual mode attempt was just full of errors
    > that seemed to me, to represent the same missing dependencies.
    >
    > Although it would be nice to get this new printer going, it is more
    > important, to me, to understand why I can't get it going.
    >
    > In 4 days, I can download 11.3 which has the driver I need. I can wait
    > that long for printer access. I've been far too long without learning
    > what I should know and using Suse like a Mac user ie: not knowing what
    > app names are, where files are, just click and it works! That speaks
    > very, very highly of an OS I know. The developers have paid their dues,
    > it's time I paid mine and learned something about how stuff works.
    >
    > Once I get Internet access from Konsole, then I can ask why the missing
    > dependencies have different names then the files available in Yast. I
    > bet that'll be fun!
    >
    > Bart
    >
    >

i can assure you that your experience is unusual...your konsole was
    either:

1. born unable to talk to the net, *or*

2. born able to talk to the net and later broken

in the first case if unable to network with konsole from day one then
    i highly suspect you installed from faulty install media, did you:

1. get your install image from http://software.opensuse.org/112/en ?
    (if not, then where?)
    2. check the md5sum of the downloaded iso?
    3. burn disk at slowest possible speed?
    4. do this http://tinyurl.com/yajm2aq before install attempt?

if you answered "no" (or "don't know") to any of those then see the
    following cites before you start over:
    http://en.opensuse.org/Download_Help
    http://tinyurl.com/yhf65pv
    http://tinyurl.com/ycly3eg

on the other hand, if you are SURE your install disk was perfect, then
    you probably meet the conditions of the second situation: a now broken
    konsole...which in my experience will come from only two things:

- jumbled software due to too many conflicting repos (do you have more
    than oss, non-oss, update and packman enabled? have you made
    "one-click" installs and left the repos enabled??)

- some other user induced instability, setup, or other system
    damage...in other words, what did you do before it stopped working
    correctly?

i believe you may be disappointed if you wait for 11.3 and upgrade in
    place rather than do a backup of your data and then a format/fresh
    install to remove the currently broken crud before you restore data
    from backup..

--
    Enjoy Packman's benefits? Show your appreciation by donating at
    http://se.unixheads.org/?donate

DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

By your answer, I take it that Konsole should be able to access the Internet by default, so mine must be broken. I don't know if Konsole was that way from day one, but it is now. I did indeed download my version 11.2 64 from the Suse website. Directly, not using any torrent software. I checked the md5sum. I burned it using k3b and verified it. I believe it chose 8x for speed, don't remember, but I have nad no problems before nor since. I have only the recommended repositories in Yast.

However, I did add a repo to download that libcssdvd or whatever to enable me to play video DVDs. And I added one to install a version of one of the media players. Don't remember which one.

Perhaps I should do a Windows fix on bash? I'm going to try.

Bart

Alright. I uninstalled konsole, installed gnome terminal, nothing different. Resintalled konsole, still no good.
    I sat and thought how I could watch what was going through my network card to see if ping was actually working. Then I thought, "How about pinging my default gateway/router?". That worked! Aparrently, konsole can get as far as the router, but no farther. So, it can't be my computer or firewall settings. I looked at my router's firewall settings and I have only a few ports open. http, dns, smtp, pop3, real av, icmp, ssh, imap, ntp. These are set to allow out going only. Is there a port that must be open for konsole to be able to access and download files? Would NAT have anything to do with my problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast