Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I've Had It With KDE4 ... Finally

Default Re: I've Had It With KDE4 ... Finally

Hello RichardET, Hello to All,

Reading through this post ... and reading everywhere for the last year or so ... I think the gnome folks are watching and rethinking any far reaching ambition for gnome3. As far as I can see ... gnome-shell (just an optional shell), cruft identification, cruft cleanup ... I like stable!

Installing the latest R on Opensuse compared to Redhat, is like a walk in the park.
    I find you statement interesting. F13 has been nothing less than FANTASTIC for me ... everything working perfect in less than 2 hours .... 11.3 .... there are still a few lingering issues well after final release. More to the point ... I just love what the Fedora folks have done in the area of gstreamer/packagkit integration. I SO WISH that the OpenSUSE devs will take notice and do gnome right ... my wish ever since gnome became usable ... lol.

oxala

Blog Entries

Wow OP, I can't find a single issue in KDE4. Oh well, never mind. Use Gnome. It's great -- so easy.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    Wow OP, I can't find a single issue in KDE4. Oh well, never mind. Use Gnome. It's great -- so easy.
    I still favor KDE over Gnome because much of what I need to do gnome either can't do or is awkward trying to do but here's a few problems I have seen regularly:
    1) Dolphin does not show the changed back-up of files consistently, so when the back-up doesn't show you try and open another file and don't get the one you clicked on it may be the back-up (which brings up the box "open with what program") or some other file because dolphin suddenly decides to update the folder view between the time you clicked and when it finally decided to respond. Severity = annoying to say the least.
    2) You have 4 desktops and move the mouse too quickly when close to any screen edge and your desktop of choice suddenly changes. Mouse gesturing is off (if mouse gesturing is on you don't have to be near edge to get this annoyance).
    3) If you move a window to fast and it's boarder comes close to screen edge, screen blanks and comes back to login screen. error log states kwin has stack overflow at xxxx:xxxx in module x (where the x's change with every incidence). Program you are running doesn't report an error nor does it save any data. It's as if it was never run.
    4) Click to minimize one window and all windows on all desktops minimize or associated programs close just as if you had issued a kill instruction.
    5) I use to kill time playing some KDE games while waiting for long processes to complete but after KDE 4.2 to 4.3.x upgrade many games don't start or start and crash when you begin to play.

My work-arounds:
    1) write a quick program to handle editing many files when similar editing needs doing on each file (doing this allows me to decide if I want back-ups of changed files or not and avoids waisted time canceling and reselecting) or work very slowly.
    2) 3) avoid moving windows or moving mouse quickly over an uncovered part of the desktop
    4) Send windows to alternate desktops and use taskbar to switch between them
    5) don't bother with kde-games

I considered upgrading from kde4.3.x to something newer but last four times I tried YAST refused and suggested downgrading me instead. One day maybe i'll try zypper in CLI to clobber current and install newer. YAST btw won't let me install the newer gnome either
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by techwiz03 View Post
    Ihere's a few problems I have seen regularly:
    1) Dolphin does not show the changed back-up of files consistently .............
    2) You have 4 desktops and move the mouse too quickly when close to any screen edge and your desktop of choice suddenly changes. Mouse gesturing is off (if mouse gesturing is on you don't have to be near edge to get this annoyance). ............
    3) If you move a window to fast and it's boarder comes close to screen edge, screen blanks and comes back to login screen .....
    4) Click to minimize one window and all windows on all desktops minimize or associated programs close just as if you had issued a kill instruction.
    I have done nothing special on 5 completely different PCs running openSUSE-11.3 with KDE-4.4 and I can not reproduce one of those.

I can not help but think this is either a carry over from a bad /home directory, or it is a graphic driver problem and not a direct KDE4 problem.

Blog Entries

Running KDE4 4.5.0, and completely unable to reproduce the behaviour described in some of the posts above. Either all these bugs have been fixed, or they have (partly) been due to old configuration files.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I have done nothing special on 5 completely different PCs running openSUSE-11.3 with KDE-4.4 and I can not reproduce one of those.

I can not help but think this is either a carry over from a bad /home directory, or it is a graphic driver problem and not a direct KDE4 problem.
    8 machines, 7 fresh installs, 1 upgrade, 2 intel video, 3 nvidia, 3 ati. These problems existed in 11.1, 11.2 32 bit & 64 bit, KDE 4.1 thru 4.3.? KUbuntu and Fedora also do it. The only common factor is KDE IMHO. As for 11.3/KDE4.4 I'm scared to try until I know I have about 2 weeks to nothing better to do than play and a new machine to play on as my newest is a Toshiba L300 AMD athon X2 64 with ati radeon. Live CD 11.3 32bit & 64bit boots but neither find my harddisk partitions. YAST shows no harddisk at all but CLI df, du, fdisk, mount, umount all work as expected. And that's why I figure it is best to wait till I have loads of time and fresh machine just for testing 11.3.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by techwiz03 View Post
    8 machines, 7 fresh installs, 1 upgrade, 2 intel video, 3 nvidia, 3 ati.
    5 machines (actually 6 machines - I forgot one). 2 x ATI, 3 x NVidia, 1 x Intel. NONE OF THEM have those problems.

I still can not help but think this is systemic. How is it I can NOT reproduce the behaviour you spotted, no matter how hard I try ? Surely if you have it on 8 different machines I have I should have it on 6 ?

What is the common denominator in each case ? I can only think of one .. but I don't want to say it as it could be viewed as a criticism which is not intended. But this does point to something systemic in your case, and something systemic in my case ?

I know it can seem like I am the problem. I had some time to finally do a bit of searching and did find this

Dolphin not refreshing contents when changed is identified as bug KDE 4.1.1 thru 4.4 but they think they have it fixed now!
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=210284
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=83319

So I am glad I haven't completely lost it!

As for the window move and mouse move in KDE causing unwanted behavior, found complaints about plasma stopping window resize, plasma crash upon hover too long over window, and plasma preventing window minimize but I'm having kinda the opposite problem. I do have plasma enabled and never gave any thought to it.

I read the entire thread.

I just recently switched to openSUSE 11.3 from 11.1. because in December 11.1 will no longer be getting security updates. KDE 3.5 is dead. KDE 4.4 is acceptable on fast machine, with a not too old video card that was made by Nvidia with the Nvidia binary blob installed from the Nvidia repo. I can see how it might not be any fun on a slow machine as it seems to catch every once and a while for a second. This is very infrequent. openSUSE 11.3 is doing everything I want. Regardless of how "open" and "free" AMD/ATI have made their display adapters to Linux devs Nvidia still is a better bet for a display adapter in my personal opinion. ATI video problems are not KDE 4.4 problems.

KDE 4 has a long way to go before it's up to the final state of 3.5 in some terms. KDE 4 devs seem to be really touchy about any remarks about it's short comings. The need to get over it and listen to the end users more. I am not the first or last person who will say that.

The things I miss from KDE 3.5. When I hovered over a file icon a popup displayed the complete file name and size. Dolphin doesn't do this. I could have a different backgound/wallpaper image on each workspace which was done very easily not the case in KDE 4. The roundness and softness of the graphical elements seems toy like in some respects in KDE 4.4; that is the only way I can describe it. Having Dolphin open right on top of the "desktop widget" creates work when I want to open another folder that is on that desktop which is quite frequent. I hated Dolphin initially but it really is better than Konqueror. I still use Konqueror but not a lot. Kaffeine is despite what everyone says very good in KDE 4.4.

I am using the "classic" application launcher and have "widgets" locked. I have six workspaces configured.

My first Linux install was Red Hat 5.5 what seems like a long time ago. I have been using Linux as my daily working OS since 2000 pretty much. I am still a clueless end user that can't use the CLI and doesn't want to.
    Tumbleweed

Blog Entries

In dolphin you can have the information panel which will also hold the mplayer preview, when you hover a file it's details are displayed.

Add a quick access to the panel and set it to 'Desktop'

And you can configure different wallpaper to each desktop, but it is fiddly compared to kde3
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast