Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I've Had It With KDE4 ... Finally

Blog Entries

Default Re: I've Had It With KDE4 ... Finally

Quote Originally Posted by sorenson2743 View Post
    @oldcpu: despite my respect for you, IMO Enlightenment is the epitome of useless Bling. Makes the KDE developers look like pikers.
    sorenson, you misread the post. Clearly. Did I quote you? No. ???????

So my post was not at you. BUT you decided to take it as such. ...

I must admit that, having gone through the same dramas as many others with the introduction of K4, the useless initial offerings, back to 3, try it again, and through the it works, its broken again cycles I have come to quite like the feel of K4. But, given that 4.5 is coming up fast, I do feel that at this point of release compared to 3.5 K4 still has an underlying feeling of 'not quite right'. There are many things to like, but many to loathe as well, yes, Dolphin and Knetworkmanager I'm looking at you.
    I agree with the 'that what choice is all about' and 'the beauty of Linux' arguments, but I still feel that K4 has become too bloated, and just isn't 'right' yet. There are lots of things that can be argued and countered, but it has been my feeling from the start that, for all the good things that have been introduced, K4 has gone in the wrong direction, and the developers (who I thank for all their efforts) are oblivious to some quite constructive criticism. It is all a bit Jobs and Well, don't hold it that way then!.
    It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.

I believe that Dwarfer99 has put it very politely. So I'll close off with this comment:

Has anyone seen this infamous "Semantic Desktop" that "promised" so much, and got everyone so excited? Does anyone know what a semantic desktop is? Does anyone care anymore, given that we have all been suckered in?

Good night, Alice.

sorenson2743:

Glad to see I could at least help with some of your issues, even if this was just to vent (it is in the soapbox section after all), and I hope you see, if you had just asked earlier, we could have at least helped you with some of the solutions before you decided to rant (believe me, I've spent a lot of time figuring all this stuff out too).

1.) The Kickoff Application Launcher provides a lot of functionality for me. I don't even have to use the other tabs in most cases - I can just start typing in the name of the program and it shows up. What can be easier than that? Not only that I can, after finding the program, right click it and add it to my favorites so when I first click the application launcher it's right there! I find this highly intuitive. Of course you can just put icons in the panel or desktop as well, but I have a habit of going to the "start" menu from windows so this feature was actually very helpful and beneficial to me (I'm a Vista convert).

3.) Very good point about really ever needing to rotate an icon, except I do it for the sticky notes widget when I leave stuff on the computer for my parents, just to give it a sort of genuine touch. Sure it's an aesthetic thing, but anything that'll help my parents feel more comfortable using the computer is a good thing in my eyes (they're the epitome of computer illiterate). The Windows 7 resize function? It was default on my version. You might need the Aero functionality in order to have the resizing functionality. Unless you turn off all the bells and whistles in Windows 7, then you have that functionality.

4.) I've never used KDE3. I came in at KDE 4.0. Horrible. But friendly to me, being a vista convert. And at the time I didn't NEED it to work fully because I was dual-booting with vista. So forgive me for not knowing about some of these features that KDE3 had that's lacking in KDE4. After a quick look however, if you go to Configure Desktop>Appearance>Fonts, you can change the size of the Desktop fonts from here. I've never had to do this before since forcing DPI to 96 always worked for me. But there's a way.

5.) I believe your problem is with your ATI driver. In my experience I've always had trouble getting ATI drivers to work right in openSUSE. But as I said before, I was a vista user. A GUI kind of guy. So my first instinct would be to go to Configure Desktop and then I see Display. So that's how I've always done it. Do you have the Radeon drivers properly installed? You would have had to do it "The hard way" as this release is still in the RC2 phase, and remember that we don't have Sax2 anymore to configure things so it's kind of a bumpy ride if the automatic configuration doesn't get things right the first time. If you search the forums this has been addressed and I believe you can use xorg-configure or something like that to get your card recognized properly (IF it's not already).

6.) I believe you just talked about how KDE4 is copying windows, but now that it has an extra feature you ask how we live without it on any other OS? I believe it's a handy feature. Mostly, because of this bug in windows 7. When I watch a movie Fullscreen with vlc player, when I go to adjust the volume or maybe even pause the movie - The Windows 7 panel shows up and blocks my ability to click anything on the vlc panel that shows up. So now I have to double click out of fullscreen then adjust volume or pause the movie (I know spacebar, but still annoying). With KDE4, I just click on the cashew, hit More settings, then choose Windows can cover. Just an example of where this functionality can help.

7.) But you were able to stop the notifications. So if there is something wrong, a lot of the time you can adjust a setting to get rid of it. 25 minutes? Just like any other new OS you have to learn it and get use to it. Since KDE4 is a complete rewrite with a new look and feel, treat it as a new OS. Obviously 25 minutes is quite a bit of time, but you can also ask in the forums since a lot of us are already adapted to KDE4.

8.) As I said above, I hate ATI cards in linux. That's why I choose Intel or Nvidia. Intel works out of the box (with a select few exceptions) and once you get the Nvidia drivers installed you're set! I know that doesn't help you with your problem, but maybe something to look for in the future.

As for wine, I know how it feels to have incompatible programs. But I also know how it is to have things work with wine. I work in the IT Department of a Hospital in the summer (I'm still in college). I've been giving linux a go on my computer there to see if things will work, and to try to get openSUSE to work in an office setting. Being as I've only been using linux since last year, it's been quite the uphill battle, but once I understand things and search for tips and tricks, it gets easier and easier. There are plenty of proprietary programs that we use, mostly because they're worth the price. Some of them work, some of them don't. But if there's anything I've learned, winetricks is a very handy tool. All you have to do is open a terminal and type winetricks and a window comes up that helps you install things that your windows application may need. MScorefonts? Done. DirectX? Done. Check it out, it can be very useful.

I do agree that the rest is personal view and I cannot change your view (no matter how hard I try ) but I at least hope you see that if you ask for help here we can at least try to sort out some of your grievances with KDE4. It's really not all as bad as you make it sound out to be. For you perhaps, but with your first post, I showed you ways to fix a lot of things and discussed possibilities for resolving other issues. In my opinion if you want to see things changed then go to the KDE forums or mail the devs. You do bring up some points for usability and I think we should, as suggested by techwiz, get a wiki or how-to together for learning KDE4.

If anything I believe we got some great insight on the difficulties a new KDE4 user may have, and even though you had a lot of complaints, it still helps the whole community to see the different possibilities and approaches to resolve these complaints. I believe everything I can cover has been addressed, so for now, use whatever suits you best. If it's Windows 7, so be it, but remember that we'll always be here in case you decide to switch back.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Works fine for me.

You can use KDE3 with 11.3

TROLL..

next!

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 23:06:01 +0000, AdmiralFubar wrote:

> TROLL..
    >
    > next!

Let's not engage in namecalling, please. Let's keep things friendly and
    non-personal.

Thanks,

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator

Wink Re: I've Had It With KDE4 ... Finally

Quote Originally Posted by sorenson2743 View Post
    I believe that Dwarfer99 has put it very politely. So I'll close off with this comment:

Has anyone seen this infamous "Semantic Desktop" that "promised" so much, and got everyone so excited? Does anyone know what a semantic desktop is? Does anyone care anymore, given that we have all been suckered in?

Good night, Alice.
    Two words "Cloud computing"
    Desktop: HP Pavalon customized - OpenSUSE amd64
    Laptop: Compaq Presario V6620US - Arch amd64
    Netbook: EEE1005HA - Arch i686

Gnome in 11.3 works very well; no issues; As a matter of fact, 11.3 is really well done, it is as good as any commercial OS I have ever used and compared to Redhat, it is a fantastic piece of work. Installing the latest R on Opensuse compared to Redhat, is like a walk in the park.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast