Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Compiz - no window decorations for compiz in 11.3, kde4

Default Re: Compiz - no window decorations for compiz in 11.3, kde4

After "focusing on usability", now the distribution is for "open minds". However, reading the posts of some moderators I feel like an "open idiot". I am not particularly intelligent, but such arguing could be a provocation for some users. So, I take the liberty to inform about Compiz the Community members who are interested.

According with a moderator in the German forum, hi has the task to repackage Compiz for OpenSuse 11.3. The process is not yet finished, fusion-icon will be finished pretty soon, but emerald will need longer. Hi stressed that hi has also a private life, what I understand very well being an aspiring open mind.
    Next time, the Moderators could also answer with "I don't know" what should be understandable by open minds.

By the way, in my opinion the KDE compiz is inferior. I don't like the KDE window decorations and I use the Compiz zoom functions to see better some videos.

Concerning the "Cube"...
    Regards
    Laptop: MSI 60 2PC | OpenSUSE 13.1 (x86_64) | KDE Current| Compiz 8.8 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU 3.2GHz | GTX850M | 8GB RAM

Default AW: Re: Compiz - no window decorations for compiz in 11.3, kde4

ehm, it's not really my task
    packages are finished though Index of /repositories/home:/lOtz1009:/emerald

Feel free to test. Working on my computers...

Default Re: AW: Re: Compiz - no window decorations for compiz in 11.3, kde4

Will give it a try and ehm, Thanks!
    | openSUSE 12.2 Milestone4 32bit | KDE 4.8.3
    | AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+ | MSI K7N2 Delta-L | 3GB Black Diamond DDR
    | GeForce 6200@433Mhz 512MB | NVIDIA-Linux-x86-295.49

Works a treat very grateful for the update!
    | openSUSE 12.2 Milestone4 32bit | KDE 4.8.3
    | AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+ | MSI K7N2 Delta-L | 3GB Black Diamond DDR
    | GeForce 6200@433Mhz 512MB | NVIDIA-Linux-x86-295.49

Quote Originally Posted by lOtz1009 View Post
    ehm, it's not really my task
    packages are finished though Index of /repositories/home:/lOtz1009:/emerald

Feel free to test. Working on my computers...
    Thank you very much lotz1009 for working on these packages. Would you mind if I include a new post in my guide that includes how to use emerald and fusion-icon from your repositories?

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Has anyone got the window deco working in 11.4?

I followed different procedures, including Installing and Configuring Compiz but the window deco just won't start.

I tried compiz 0.9.2 packages and 0.9.4 packages, same results.
    I tried with nouveau video drivers as well as nVIDIA's drivers, same results.

The thing is, compiz has many productivity features I need to use (including the Window Rules and Place Windows plug-ins, which are very very useful for me). KWin is far from there.

tnx
    Frank
    openSUSE KDE 11.2 64-bits
    Intel Q6600 64-bits QuadCore G0 Revision
    nVidia Geforce 8600 GT
    ASUS P5K-E mobo + 4GB RAM

I have a gut feeling missing deco is not due to drivers.
    I have not tried it yet on 11.4. I'll take a look today and let you know
    how it worked for me.
    By the way is using emerald as window manager an option for you?
    emerald --replace
    command in windows decoration tab
    usually worked with no problems.

Well the problem comes from there: there is no "emerald" basic package in the 11.4 repos.

Not here Index of /repositories/X11:/Compiz/openSUSE_11.4
    Not here either Index of /repositories/home:/lOtz1009:/emerald/openSUSE_11.4
    And not here as well Index of /repositories/home:/lOtz1009:/emerald/openSUSE_Factory
    Packman also does not provide emerald PackMan :: Search results

So I wanted to keep kde4-window-deco so that I can at least use the potential of compiz, but there I came to the point where the deco does not start, or crashes after trying to start. I can post errors for sure, but before I wanted to know if anyone had compiz with deco (whichever ones) working in 11.4 KDE4.6.
    Frank
    nVidia Geforce 8600 GT

ok, Here we are i got it to work in some rather nasty way ... KDE windows decorator crashes as it is written in our compiz wiki.
    so:
    1. install compiz with compiz-gnome.
    2. start ccsm click on plugins you want to use including windows decoration plugin and add command gtk-window-decorator -replace
    3. go to kde system settings (default aplications) and set compiz as default window/session manager.

It worked for me BUT. Kde4.6 is 'RESISTING' this kind of 'rape' : kickoff aplication launcher not really working though alt+F2 works fine
    and i guess there will be other not pleasant surprises. so .... it's sad story here form my point of views. Kwin is dominating and
    I'm not sure here's 'clean fight here'...

I figure this walk around from compiz wiki http://wiki.compiz.org/Plugins/Decoration
    You can't help respecting anybody who can spell TUESDAY, even if he doesn't spell it right; but spelling isn't everything. There are days when spelling Tuesday simply doesn't count. Winnie the Pooh

That's sad, I really don't like that, KWin is not yet ready to overtake Compiz.

How will I have my windows to always open in the specified viewports/workspaces, with specific size/geometry and specific place (X,Y) on screen if I don't use Compiz? Unless there is another application doing that, I may google around and see.

Also Kwin does not have the effect for which you scroll your mouse button on the title bar and it scrolls up and down the window but keeps the title bar visible. I use that feature a lot, could not find anything comparable in KWin.

I will try to dig more and see who can do what to have Compiz working in KDE4.6.

tnx
    Frank
    nVidia Geforce 8600 GT

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast