Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poor graphics

Default Re: Poor graphics

Windows fonts are now fine, firefox and pidgin are still ugly.

Firefox looks good, pidgin is still mess.

Blog Entries

Honestly, those images at the first post look fine to me. It can be very subjective - font rendering.
    If there were such a comparison that one looked really sh1ty - it should be obvious in a screenshot.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by avenuemax View Post
    2. I did 'zypper verify' and then fixed dependencies by switching over repos. Removed 26 repos while sorting out.
    When you want to use many repositories at the same time, I highly recommend to set the repository priorities for the main ones higher than 99 (so... lower in number).

I usually set update to 80, all the others (oss, non-oss, source) to 90, packman to 70 and then repositories like nvidia, KDE factory or other "overwrite" repos to 60 or higher priority (60 or lower in numbers). One-click-installs or other added repositories should then be at 99 and not overwrite your base packages without prompting you if really needed. You can then in many cases clean up your system by simply remove conflicting repos and use "zypper dup".

I have suggested to OpenFATE yesterday to do the priority settings in a default install, because It's the first thing I do when installing OpenSuSE anyway and it would prevent some frequent occuring problems for other users, especially new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by avenuemax View Post
    Firefox looks good, pidgin is still mess.
    Pidgin is a GTK+ application. That means that you can influence its look by what you select under "GTK Styles and Fonts". When I select "Clearlooks" I don't get good results either, and my GTK apps look ugly.

What you can do for example is, use QtCurve. That is what I do. I use it for KDE looks, GTK looks, and the window decorations with the effect that there is only little difference between GTK and KDE apps. Of course it looks different from the normal Oxygene style, but it is highly configurable, esp. if you use a somewhat up to date version.

Something else that you might want to try if you like Oxygene more, is to look out for and install a GTK style called Oxygene-Molecule. (Looking at YAST, I see it is both in the KDE-Factory repo, as well as KDE-Community repo.) Then you can use Oxygene for KDE looks and Window decoration, and Oxygene-Molecule for GTK apps. The downside of Oxygene-Molecule is that it is somewhat confined wrt coloration, though.

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Honestly, those images at the first post look fine to me. It can be very subjective - font rendering.
    If there were such a comparison that one looked really sh1ty - it should be obvious in a screenshot.
    Carl, I installed M$ fonts and now everything is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Emsworth View Post
    Pidgin is a GTK+ application. That means that you can influence its look by what you select under "GTK Styles and Fonts". When I select "Clearlooks" I don't get good results either, and my GTK apps look ugly.

What you can do for example is, use QtCurve. That is what I do. I use it for KDE looks, GTK looks, and the window decorations with the effect that there is only little difference between GTK and KDE apps. Of course it looks different from the normal Oxygene style, but it is highly configurable, esp. if you use a somewhat up to date version.

Something else that you might want to try if you like Oxygene more, is to look out for and install a GTK style called Oxygene-Molecule. (Looking at YAST, I see it is both in the KDE-Factory repo, as well as KDE-Community repo.) Then you can use Oxygene for KDE looks and Window decoration, and Oxygene-Molecule for GTK apps. The downside of Oxygene-Molecule is that it is somewhat confined wrt coloration, though.
    Yup, I got it all working. Now pidgin looks better than kopete.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123