Thread: Emerald and Compiz Window Management

Default Emerald and Compiz Window Management

I'm not sure about anybody else, but I have spent many hours today trying to figure out how to get Compiz as a window manager. Alas, I have tasted success. Once compiz and Emerald are both installed, simply go to
    Code:
    Configure Desktop > Default Applications > Window Management
    and then select from the drop down menu
    Code:
    Compiz
    Now those beautiful emerald themes will work. I have seen many other 'solutions' for KDE4 and they may have worked for some, but not for me. I hope this will help somebody who may be as frustrated as I was.

Default Re: Emerald and Compiz Window Management

Installing and Configuring Compiz - openSUSE Forums

13.) For KDE4 users, To set compiz as the default window manager open Configure Desktop (Personal Settings). Then click Default Applications. Click Window Manager and choose Use a different window manager. Use the drop down menu to choose Compiz (not Compiz custom).
    I've made sure to do a complete step-by-step so if one goes through ALL of the steps COMPLETELY, they should have no trouble using compiz in KDE4.

If you were to google "opensuse compiz", my how-to is actually the third link down

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

I'm sorry dude. I didn't mean to steal your thunder or anything. I think I googled just about everything EXCEPT that. I'll try and be more thorough with my searches from now on. Boy do I feel like an idiot...
    Linux user #507427

Haha no problem, I tend to do the same thing a lot. If nothing else, it lets me know that step works

Congrats on figuring that out though. I know it took me a lot of experimenting and research to get my how-to written up. Glad to see we have users who are willing to actually research to get their problems solved instead of just blindly crying that something doesn't work. It's also nice to see users like you contributing what you find to the forums

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM