Thread: setting up virtual box again

Default setting up virtual box again

I am trying to install again virtual box after a new clean install of 11.2. After install and running: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

I get error:
    Stopping VirtualBox kernel module done
    Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module failed
    (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)

Here is the log file:

Makefile:162: Warning: using /usr/src/linux as the source directory of your Linux kernel. If this is not correct, specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again.
    Makefile:170: *** Error: /usr/src/linux (version 2.6.31.12-0.1-desktop) does not match the current kernel (version 2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop). Stop.

I do not know what to do now.

Default Re: setting up virtual box again

Quote Originally Posted by philsweeney View Post
    I am trying to install again virtual box after a new clean install of 11.2. After install and running: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

I get error:

Here is the log file:

Makefile:162: Warning: using /usr/src/linux as the source directory of your Linux kernel. If this is not correct, specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again.
    Makefile:170: *** Error: /usr/src/linux (version 2.6.31.12-0.1-desktop) does not match the current kernel (version 2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop). Stop.

I see that when installing VirtualBox after a fresh install of openSUSE. It happens when the kernel-devel package that gets installed is newer than the running kernel version. Fully updating the system and rebooting solves the problem for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by philsweeney View Post

I get error:

Here is the log file:

You have the sources for a later version of the kernel than the one on the DVD. One of the first things you should have done after a fresh install is a bug-fix update. Then you would indeed have got the 2.6.31.12 kernel binary package. A reboot after the kernel update is required.

Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    You have the sources for a later version of the kernel than the one on the DVD. One of the first things you should have done after a fresh install is a bug-fix update. Then you would indeed have got the 2.6.31.12 kernel binary package. A reboot after the kernel update is required.
    Thanks - but what do you recommend I do now

Blog Entries

Do an update of your 11.2 installation from the online update repo as I just explained. There are lots of bug fixes to reinstall, including a new release of the kernel.

Update your kernel.......

I ran the updates and everything is working fine.
    Thanks for your help!