Suspend/Hibernate issue with Sony Vaio Netbook

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio VPCW11XG (*) (except for removing Windows unchanged). It is working perfectly fine with OpenSuse 11.2, except one issue when hibernating/suspending:

In both cases, the Netbook is performing all steps exactly as I am used to from other PCs, but it does not switch off; Only after another 45-60s of doing nothing (display is black, but fan still on, LEDs on), it switches off. I can switch off by pushing the on/off button for 4s and in any case the PC resumes properly – but still, that is annoying if I want to use the suspend mode frequently.

“Disclaimer”:

• When I shut down the PC normally, there is not such gap…
  • I tried to fiddle a bit with different parameters, but the only thing I managed is to deactivate ACPI and by this disabling the whole hibernate/suspend part.
  • I cannot find any message in the log file where I see a connection to this behavior.
  • This problem seems to be kernel related: I had exactly the same behavior with OpenSuse 11.1 and Ubuntus (including EasyPeasy).

Any idea? I am hoping for a magic kernel parameter or something :slight_smile:

(*) Hardware: Intel Atom N280, Intel GMA 4500MHD, 1GB RAM

Did you update the system after the initial install? I seem to remember the first 11.2 release had issues which were fixed in the updates.
Also, have a search to see if other people have this problem in other distros. I haven’t had a problem with suse on my netbooks.

The fact the fans are on when it suspends, is due to the fact that it has to save your session before suspending and only then will it power down.

Hi whych,

I have all recent updates on the netbook.
I also searched for others distros or linux in general, but could not find anything about this issue.
I know that it takes some time to save the systems memory (and during that time the progress bar is displayed). But when this task is finished, the machine does not switch off directly (only 45-60s later)… I am absolutely sure, that this is unnormal behavior, because on my ThinkPad I can see how it is supposed to be - and I like it :-).

But thanks for your quick comments!

A simple thought: That remains me of the behavior of a Volkswagen after a ride in the summer.

Could it be that the netbook simply gets to hot? Would you try speed-step to turn the cpu frequency down (or use “conservative” instead of “performace” or “ondemand”)? With openSUSE 11.2/11.3 and GNOME this seems to be not easy/buggy
(see: [How-to] Fix gnomes cpufreq-applet - openSUSE Forums](http://forums.opensuse.org/get-help-here/laptop/387052-how-fix-gnomes-cpufreq-applet.html))
but under Ubuntu 10.4 its just about two clicks away (and maybe administrators password) if the CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor is added to the panel.

Good luck
pistazienfresser

Hi Pistazienfresser,

that is an interesting thought; I tried it this morning to go to hibernation (1) from the silent desktop and (2) from a heavily working system. My idea was that the processor etc. would be hotter under condition 2 and by this a longer cooling period would be necessary. (2) infact had a slightly longer “deadtime” (between finishing hiberation and switching off), but that also might have been coincidental… at least I would have expect a clearer result. I will do some more tests on that.

Still: Also if that would be the case, this behavior would be undesired; When shutting down the PC, the fan etc. stops right away, so it does not damage the PC. Also, unders Windows (ouch!) the PC went to a switched off state right away when hiberating.
I mainly would like to have that condition to use suspend when closing the lid of the laptop. But when I do this and open the lid right away, I have to wait another 50s and then manually awake the laptop from suspend…

So does anybody know, what command makes my Laptop switch off?
Thanks, urbade

man shutdown …? via terminal

or hmm “shutdown -h now” [prolly require sudo/su for it to execute]

Ok, let me say this more precise: What makes my Laptop switch off after hibernation/suspend process…
Thanks!
Or any idea who knows such stuff?

On 2010-06-24 13:26 GMT urbade wrote:

>
> vmohan;2177718 Wrote:
> > man shutdown …? via terminal
> >
> > or hmm “shutdown -h now” [prolly require sudo/su for it to execute]
>
> Ok, let me say this more precise: What makes my Laptop switch off
> after_hibernation/suspend_process
> Thanks!
> Or any idea who knows such stuff?

I would suggest disabling the splash screen display while the
hibernation is activating, so that you get a better idea of where it
gets stuck.

Did you have a look at the suspend logs?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Minas Tirith))