Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fix messed up partitions with Toshiba Laptop with Opensuse 11.1 and Windows NTF Vista

Default How to fix messed up partitions with Toshiba Laptop with Opensuse 11.1 and Windows NTF Vista

Hi, for many years I have been battling with messed up partitions.

I am currently using Suse 11.1 with a Toshiba Equium laptop.

I have a reasonable sized hard drive, but am always out of space because a windows vista recovery disk created an unwanted blank partition- drive D. This caused a lot of problems to a new beginner.

So far I have the following messed up partitions:

/dev/sda1 1.46GB unknown NTFS Win RE
    /dev/sda2 23.65GB HPFS/NTFS Vista /Windows/C
    /dev/sda3 35.95GB Linux native Ext3 /local* (converted from drive D windows)
    /dev/sda4 13.48 Extended
    /dev/sda5 1.47GB Linux swap
    /dev/sda6 5.32GB Linux native Ext3 /
    /dev/sda7 6.67GB Linux native Ext3 /home

I am now running out of space on Windows C and my root partition ext3 /

I've tried using programs like G parted to swap the space between partitions but it doesn't seem to work. I have to create a new partition table.

First, is it possible to rectify this without losing data? If I have to start again I don't mind, but what partitions are needed to wipe the whole computer, install windows and then linux again? What is the best way to partition my computer? How can I get this resolved myself?

Yours Sincerely,
    James

Default Re: How to fix messed up partitions with Toshiba Laptop with Opensuse 11.1 and Windows NTF Vista

Quote Originally Posted by mrukjames View Post

I am currently using Suse 11.1 with a Toshiba Equium laptop.

I have a reasonable sized hard drive, but am always out of space because a windows vista recovery disk created an unwanted blank partition- drive D. This caused a lot of problems to a new beginner.

So far I have the following messed up partitions:

/dev/sda4 13.48 Extended

I am now running out of space on Windows C and my root partition ext3 /

I've tried using programs like G parted to swap the space between partitions but it doesn't seem to work. I have to create a new partition table.

First, is it possible to rectify this without losing data? If I have to start again I don't mind, but what partitions are needed to wipe the whole computer, install windows and then linux again? What is the best way to partition my computer? How can I get this resolved myself?

Yours Sincerely,
    James
    First off sda1 NTFS unknown is the recovery partition which is not needed if you have made the recovery DVD's. If you haven't made the recovery DVD's and windows becomes damaged, the recovery will kick in and restore you (in most cases without warning) to a single huge c: formated NTFS and re-install the OS there ultimately erasing Linux.

If it were me I'd back-up all data you need from Linux_home, Linux_local Windows_C and any settings you need from /etc /usr / ...
    Then use a gparted CD to wipe/repartition space the way you want it, Re-install Windows to the C: drive you freshly defined, Then re-do Linux and maybe look at going 11.2. ALL in MHO
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Default Re: How to fix messed up partitions with Toshiba Laptop with Opensuse 11.1 and Windows NTF Vista

I cannot quite understand what the problem with the D: partition would be. You can mount NTFS as read-write in Suse you realize? It may be quite useful to have a common non-system or 'work' partition between Windows and Suse.

Hence, an alternative solution(?), which does not require very much trauma is to:

1) Back up any useful data on /dev/sda3 to an external drive,

2) Run Windows and in Disk Management reformat the /dev/sda3 partition to NTFS (which is going back a couple of steps I know) again,

3) Restore data to /dev/sda3,

3) Mount the /dev/sda3 partition as D: in Windows and as /local in Suse (using the type of ntfs-3g in /etc/fstab).

In other words I would have been more opportunistic when I discovered the 'unwanted' D: partition.

Quote Originally Posted by techwiz03 View Post
    First off sda1 NTFS unknown is the recovery partition which is not needed if you have made the recovery DVD's. If you haven't made the recovery DVD's and windows becomes damaged, the recovery will kick in and restore you (in most cases without warning) to a single huge c: formated NTFS and re-install the OS there ultimately erasing Linux.

If it were me I'd back-up all data you need from Linux_home, Linux_local Windows_C and any settings you need from /etc /usr / ...
    Then use a gparted CD to wipe/repartition space the way you want it, Re-install Windows to the C: drive you freshly defined, Then re-do Linux and maybe look at going 11.2. ALL in MHO
    What plodder has suggested, has merit but... Windows Vista basically will require at least 22GB just for itself assuming you have shut off redundant restore points. Linux root of 5.3GB is quite shy as well in most scenario's. This is also complicated by a small /home partition.

Personally, I would want Windows c: at about 25GB min with d: shared as NTFS with Linux and put Windows userdocs pointed there instead of the cUser\documents.
    This still leaves the root and home partitions of Linux lacking.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

I've tried using programs like G parted to swap the space between partitions but it doesn't seem to work.
    You would delete sda3 and use gparted (from a live CD like Parted Magic)to manipulate the partitions to suit what you want.

But this involves changes to most of your partitions, So you should back up every thing you want, as you would if you were going to wipe the disk, just in case.

Can give you the partitioning procedure if you decide to go ahead, note you may also need to edit fstab and GRUB but that will depend and is not a major issue.

Where did you get this?
    /dev/sda4 13.48 Extended
    We would first want to see,
    Code:
    fdisk -l

Blog Entries

You cannot simply repair this. Backup all data, buy extra diskspace, install Win on one disk, openSUSE on the other.

Edit: my mistake, did not see it's a laptop. Yet a bigger disk would not be bad.
    Last edited by Knurpht; 08-Jun-2010 at 06:28.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

One way to avoid this being a problem is to learn how to fix them.

To the OP, I should add, we can guide you through the process and explain it as we go.( as noted this is not an easy one, if you choose to, you could learn a fair bit from it!).

Hi guys,

I am so grateful for your advice. This gives me a number of options and a sign of hope for getting this resolved.

An fdisk -l gives me the following details:

Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xd63c992b

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1               1         192     1536000   27  Unknown
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda2             192        3279    24796327    7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3            5036        9729    37699168+  83  Linux
    /dev/sda4   *        3279        5036    14115673    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda5            3279        3471     1539424   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda6            3471        4164     5574523+  83  Linux
    /dev/sda7            4165        5035     6996276   83  Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order
    What concerns me the most is the windows recovery disk. I don't have a normal windows CD. When I formated the system last I had trouble getting this to work and had to send the laptop off to be restored. But I have a new recovery disk now which should work- Does this blank all the partitions into Drive C?

I think 25GB would be enough for Windows C. I do like idea of D drive being mounted in Linux for extra storage. This is great, if you have enough space on your main drives! Maybe at least 10 more GB each on /home and root partitions. I would never use ALL the GB that the hard disk offers, so I think that better management of partitions would do the trick.

P.S- I agreed there is a great learning experience here I can benefit from.

Yes, and I can also/burn version 11.2 to install as well.

Again, thanks for the great advice!

Quote Originally Posted by mrukjames View Post
    Hi guys,

I am so grateful for your advice. This gives me a number of options and a sign of hope for getting this resolved.

An fdisk -l gives me the following details:

Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xd63c992b

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1               1         192     1536000   27  Unknown
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda2             192        3279    24796327    7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3            5036        9729    37699168+  83  Linux
    /dev/sda4   *        3279        5036    14115673    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda5            3279        3471     1539424   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda6            3471        4164     5574523+  83  Linux
    /dev/sda7            4165        5035     6996276   83  Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order
    You will note Partition 1 does not end on a cylinder boundary is a M$ technique to hopefully foul-up other OS's.
    What concerns me the most is the windows recovery disk. I don't have a normal windows CD. When I formated the system last I had trouble getting this to work and had to send the laptop off to be restored. But I have a new recovery disk now which should work- Does this blank all the partitions into Drive C?
    Yes the recovery disk feature of the hidden drive does restore the system to factory (single huge partition called C: plus 1 small hidden recovery partition, but OEM recovery disks may leave your partitions alone or recommend partition redo.)
    I think 25GB would be enough for Windows C. I do like idea of D drive being mounted in Linux for extra storage. This is great, if you have enough space on your main drives! Maybe at least 10 more GB each on /home and root partitions. I would never use ALL the GB that the hard disk offers, so I think that better management of partitions would do the trick.

P.S- I agreed there is a great learning experience here I can benefit from.

Yes, and I can also/burn version 11.2 to install as well.
    Ok so from what you said, I would do this
    wipe whole drive (after back-up of all needed data)
    ** make sure you can read back the data too before wiping**
    make a sda1 windose c: of 25GB NTFS
    make a sda2 Extended partition of 55GB
    make a sda5 Linux root of 15GB
    make a sda6 Linux swap of 2GB
    make a sda7 Linux home of 16GB
    make a sda8 Windose d: of 22GB NTFS mounted as media/win_D in Linux
    Install Windows into C:
    Format Windows d: 22GB as NTFS
    Install Linux as defined above

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast