Compiling XEN 4.0 from the sources in OpenSuSE 11.2.

Hi all.

I’m trying to build the latest XEN 4.0.0 from the tarball in xen.org.

After resolve the dependencies, I finalled compiled the xen kernel.

But the problem, it is not making the intrd for booting (and it is not suposed to do :expressionless: ), it just comments the following on the README source:

Depending on your config, you may need to use ‘mkinitrd’ to create
an initial ram disk, just like a native system e.g.
# depmod 2.6.18-xen
# mkinitrd -v -f --with=aacraid --with=sd_mod --with=scsi_mod initrd-2.6.18-xen.img 2.6.18-xen

Other systems may requires the use of ‘mkinitramfs’ to create the
ram disk.
# depmod 2.6.18-xen
# mkinitramfs -o initrd-2.6.18-xen.img 2.6.18-xen

Well, after change the correct version using mkinitrd command doesn’t worked, errors about “-- -” so I aplied the command

mkinitrd -v -f “aacraid sd_mod scsi_mod” initrd-2.6.31.13.img 2.6.31.13

Kernel image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.13
Initrd image: /boot/initrd-2.6.31.13
Kernel Modules: <not available>
Could not find map initrd-2.6.31.13.img/boot/System.map, please specify a correct file with -M.

So I hard linked the system map created on the compilation process (strange the -M doesn’t work to real name or softlink). and then:

mkinitrd -v -f “aacraid sd_mod scsi_mod” -M /boot/System.map initrd-2.6.31.13.img 2.6.31.13

Kernel image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.12-0.2-default
Initrd image: /boot/initrd-2.6.31.12-0.2-default
Kernel Modules: <not available>
/lib/mkinitrd/setup/02-start.sh: line 30: initrd-2.6.31.13.img/etc/sysconfig/kernel: No such file or directory
/lib/mkinitrd/setup/02-start.sh: line 36: initrd-2.6.31.13.img/etc/sysconfig/kernel: No such file or directory
/lib/mkinitrd/setup/11-storage.sh: line 245: initrd-2.6.31.13.img/etc/fstab: No such file or directory
/lib/mkinitrd/setup/11-storage.sh: line 266: /dev/shm/.1ZLJHg/pipe: No such file or directory
find: `initrd-2.6.31.13.img/lib/modules’: No such file or directory
Root device: /dev/root (mounted on initrd-2.6.31.13.img as reiserfs)
Resume device: /dev/system/swap
Device root not found in sysfs

Even without modules (-f) fails with the same messages.

mkinitrd -v -M /boot/System.map initrd-2.6.31.13.img 2.6.31.13

Kernel image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.12-0.2-default
Initrd image: /boot/initrd-2.6.31.12-0.2-default
Kernel Modules:
/lib/mkinitrd/setup/02-start.sh: line 30: initrd-2.6.31.13.img/etc/sysconfig/kernel: No such file or directory
/lib/mkinitrd/setup/02-start.sh: line 36: initrd-2.6.31.13.img/etc/sysconfig/kernel: No such file or directory
/lib/mkinitrd/setup/11-storage.sh: line 245: initrd-2.6.31.13.img/etc/fstab: No such file or directory
/lib/mkinitrd/setup/11-storage.sh: line 266: /dev/shm/.6YRRTE/pipe: No such file or directory
find: `initrd-2.6.31.13.img/lib/modules’: No such file or directory
Root device: /dev/root (mounted on initrd-2.6.31.13.img as reiserfs)
Resume device: /dev/system/swap
Device root not found in sysfs

So what can I do? I really want to test the pastrough and snapshot new features in XEN, since i really start to hate vmware eating all resources with more than 1 vm (I know, there is VirtualBox, but I used Vmware first since you can record videos and for portability).

I already used XEN 3.4 a lot in my own labs inside my laptop, (since I learned how to use virtual network in nat mode), and since is the default hypervisor on the job (we are migrating the lasts Vmware vms !!! cool!!! >:) ) and I really really love XEN (is amazing, 4 vms, 1 host in a laptop turion 64 x2 with just 3GB ram!!! and my processor is not flaming!!!).

So, I’m not a developer, not newbie in linux, but recently changed to openSuSE (I came from ubuntu world), and I know it has its own tricks I must learn.

Please, some one can help?

Thanks in the advance.

Regards.

Is it in this repo
Index of /repositories/Virtualization/openSUSE_11.2

In which case you can use the software manager