Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we using "Xorg -configure" now???

Default Are we using "Xorg -configure" now???

Code:
    # sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia
    If 'sax2' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
        cnf sax2

# sax2
    If 'sax2' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
        cnf sax2

# Sax2
    If 'Sax2' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
        cnf Sax2

# Sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia
    If 'Sax2' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
        cnf Sax2

# cnf sax2
    sax2: command not found

# cnf Sax2
    Sax2: command not found
    Did I miss the memo??? If one has on-board nvidia graphics how does one configure nouveau or even vesa? If I have a problem with nvidia driver I constantly end up with either a 640 by 480 display [1680x1050 is norm] or a garbled display like nv driver provides... Oh and "Xorg -configure" doesn't seem to work either.

What the heck am I missing... I mean no sax2??? That's causing me a lot of lost time that could be spent testing. How do we configure non-proprietary graphics in openSuSE now a days?

Edit: I'm sure this is something I just missed. But I do need to know WHAT I missed.
    Last edited by dwightpaige79; 08-Jun-2010 at 19:23. Reason: Just because.
    Thanks,
    Dwight Paige

Blog Entries

Default Re: Are we using "Xorg -configure" now???

Yes, sax2 has been deprecated since openSUSE 11.2, and removed from openSUSE 11.3 entriely.

[opensuse-factory] The Future of SaX2

I agree with you, that there needs to be a basic tool provided to assist here. Some users will still need to use manual configuration, and so 'Xorg -configure' should still work to create a basic configuration. Refer to this guide:

http://forums.opensuse.org/informati...ide-users.html

There is a couple of sections specifically mentioning 11.3.

AFAIU, the legacy /etc/X11/xorg.conf will still be used if it is present, otherwise configuration (.conf) files within /etc/X11/xorg.d/ will be used, and autodetection will be used in the absense of either.

I note that this opensuse-11-3-milestone-6 release article mentions

Added xorg.conf.d snippets so you can easily override defaults if your monitor has not been detected via DDC.

While dynamic configuration can be very useful (particularly on a laptop), the problem with those tools is that they don't have great fallbacks when the X11 configuration is messed up to the point X11 (and hence the GUI adjustment tools) can't start.

I very much liked being able to rescue my system with sax2-vesa (similar situation -- when a kernel update invalidated the nvidia driver build).

A console tool would be great, even if it is off the shelf. Please at least provide a redirection message (e.g. "use Xorg -configure" for those who don't know) when the user types "sax2" in the console (these are usually programmable in bash and zsh).

Blog Entries

If you're desparate for sax2, it's in the repos, you can find it through:
    Software.openSUSE.org , search for 'sax2' for openSUSE Factory. Comes without warranty
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Software.openSUSE.org , search for 'sax2' for openSUSE Factory. Comes without warranty
    Thanks. That would be great. Unfortunately that only links me to 404 not found. I've been looking and haven't found sax2 or sax2-gui for Factory. I can find them for 11.2.

Edit: sax2-tools is installed in 11.3 by default but obviously that doesn't provide a sax2 that works...
    Last edited by dwightpaige79; 09-Jun-2010 at 16:02. Reason: Thought of something else.
    Thanks,
    Dwight Paige

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    When I tried that sax gave me something about missing dependencies & would I like to download them. I clicked yes & got nothing. Sax continued not to work no matter what I did.
    After all that my initial workaround became:
    1. to reload 11.2 get the xorg.conf from that then
    2. C&P it to a flash drive
    3.load in 11.3 M7
    4.Once M7 was in C&P my old xorg.conf into /etc/X11
    5.reboot
    Yes I know it's sloppy & really not the way to do things, but posted this for those who want to try this as a last resort!
    One last thing is if you presently are using 11.2 backup & store your present xorg.conf on some outside medium. Should you install 11.3 you'll need it until some other way to config xorg gets written.
    I'm just a curious cat
    My 64 bit: RADEON RX 570 |CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600
    MOTHERBOARD B450M D53H GGABYTE
    Opensuse Tumbleweed Plasma 5

Blog Entries

After all that my initial workaround became:
    1. to reload 11.2 get the xorg.conf from that then
    Thats good advice sagmenta, and many experienced users make sure to keep hardware-specific config files for just that reason. Saves re-inventing the wheel!

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Thats good advice sagmenta, and many experienced users make sure to keep hardware-specific config files for just that reason. Saves re-inventing the wheel!
    Yeah, I'm in the process of doing that right now...
    Thanks,
    Dwight Paige

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Yes, sax2 has been deprecated since openSUSE 11.2, and removed from openSUSE 11.3 entriely.
    Many thanks. I'm reading/bookmarking these links and learning some different approaches to something I used to be able to do on 'auto-pilot' in days before dynamic configuration. FWIW I don't recall when the last time I used sax2 in stable version of openSuSE. It is specific to my hardware in developer version where I sometimes need manual intervention.

Another potential tool for those in these shoes may be xrandr. I'm gonna have to learn on that some too.
    Thanks,
    Dwight Paige

Blog Entries

I wrote a bug report on sax2 being removed, ... however it turns out this had been discussed a LOT on the mailing lists, and Novell/SuSE-GmbH noted they could no longer support sax2 ... For example this thread: [opensuse-factory] The Future of SaX2

... as a work around to sax2 being removed, but Xorg still not as "automatic" as many of us would like (in identifying hardware) I proposed in that bug report that someone who knows enough about this (ie NOT me) write a wiki as an interim providing sufficient guidance on how to do this. The bug report is here: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=608237

Unfortunately, the action in the bug report I wrote, was ASSIGNED back on me (a volunteer) to write the wiki , and so at the moment I am kind of stuck, as I typically have to reverse engineer what has been done , as opposed to be proactive in writing a guide/wiki.

There is a rather long winded and somewhat limited pratical theory guide here, designed to help all openSUSE users , independant of their openSUSE version: REVIEWED - openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users - openSUSE Forums

Comments/help are welcome. Comments/improvements should go here: UN-reviewed: openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users - openSUSE Forums

I don't know just yet what I am going to do about the assigned action to write a wiki, as I feel my knowledge is lacking.

I am especially weak on UDEV (ie if Xorg fails to automatically detect/configure one's graphics, should one 1st try to edit things in UDEV ??? ). If one decides instead to come up with an edit to a config file for the graphics directly, should one instead go to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/directory and edit the files there? Or should one instead run "Xorg -configure" which creates the xorg.conf.new in /root and then copy that file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast