Thread: Gnome screen flashes

Hybrid View

Default Gnome screen flashes

Hi

I was running Gnome 2.24 and decided to upgrade to 2.26, following the instructions on the openSuse site (i.e. via command line and zypper).

Everything seemed OK, but when I rebooted into Gnome, my desktop flashes (or alternates between blue and black) and all my icons have disappeared. The taskbar still exists and I can launch programs from it. The screen does appear to stop flashing, but some of my desktop icons appear very briefly, then disappear, then reappear....Also, the mouse pointer remains "busy" when in Gnome. KDE still works fine.

Should I re-install my video (NVidia) card? I'm reluctant to muck about anymore, as I have acres of experience of fiddling without any real knowledge of what I was doing, with laughably predictable results.
    Alastair Scott

openSUSE LEAP

Default Re: Gnome screen flashes

If kde is running, then the video works.
    Try running a kde session and rename .gnome2 to .gnome2.old and then try a gnome session again. If it works, there is an incompatibility between the gnome setups.

Sulzbach (Taunus), Hessen [Hesse], Deutschland [Germany]

You seems to be writing about your "Office: openSUSE 11.1 64-bit / KDE 4.3 ". I had fewer problems with using KDE and GNOME parallel if I use GNOME with an other user as KDE.

Have you tried a new user just for GNOME?

Good luck
    pistazienfresser

OK, seems I shouldn't have put that in the signature!

I haven't tried setting up another user - I think that the easiest thing is to wait until 11.3 comes out and go for that. I'll manage fine with KDE 3.5 (yes, back to that!) just now.
    Alastair Scott

openSUSE LEAP

Sulzbach (Taunus), Hessen [Hesse], Deutschland [Germany]

Arrow Re: Gnome screen flashes

Quote Originally Posted by aescott View Post
    OK, seems I shouldn't have put that in the signature!

I haven't tried setting up another user - I think that the easiest thing is to wait until 11.3 comes out and go for that. I'll manage fine with KDE 3.5 (yes, back to that!) just now.
    Or test now 11.3 from a live CD, a live USB stick (if you get that working, tell me how ) or a installation to a bigger USB flash drive.

How to copy a dvd or net iso to a flash drive - openSUSE Forums
    Start openSUSE 11.3 from external USB drive? - openSUSE Forums

The more you test (and report bugs) now the better are the possibilities to get a good working system on our hardware in time of the official release
    Conflicting new and old profiles will be a just something to get not bored if you update for real

Greetings
    pistazienfresser