Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to change email settings

Default How to change email settings

Virgin has decided to change its email settings, but doesn't support Evolution, so I am not clear on how to implement some of the changes.
    This is what it asks us to do:

Sending mail (SMTP)

SMTP server name
    smtp.virgin.net

SMTP SSL
    Enabled

SMTP port

SMTP authentication
    Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

SMTP username
    Full e-mail address, e.g., richard.branson@virgin.net

Receiving mail (POP)

POP3 server name
    pop.virgin.net

POP3 SSL
    Enabled

POP3 port

POP3 authentication

POP3 username

POP3 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)
    Disabled

OK, so that should all be very easy, but I can't find all the manual settings. On outbound mail, where is Port 465 and how do I enable the SMTP authentication?
    Similarly, on inbound email, where is Port 995 and how do I enable POP 3 authentication?

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: How to change email settings

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbone View Post
    Virgin has decided to change its email settings, but doesn't support Evolution, so I am not clear on how to implement some of the changes.
    This is what it asks us to do:

Sending mail (SMTP)

SMTP server name
    smtp.virgin.net

SMTP SSL
    Enabled

SMTP port

SMTP authentication

SMTP username

Receiving mail (POP)

POP3 server name
    pop.virgin.net

POP3 SSL
    Enabled

POP3 port

POP3 authentication

POP3 username

POP3 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)
    Disabled

OK, so that should all be very easy, but I can't find all the manual settings. On outbound mail, where is Port 465 and how do I enable the SMTP authentication?
    Similarly, on inbound email, where is Port 995 and how do I enable POP 3 authentication?

Thanks for your help!
    Cant say why it doesn't support evolution but from what you show there it would be simple to set up using kmail->new_account. Steps are;
    start kmail
    choose account manage
    choose add account
    follow on-screen instructions which are basically general info then use send tab to do smtp settings then use receive tab to do pop3 stuff and finally save & exit.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

The main changes are using SSL for both receiving and sending and SMTP validation.

In KMail all I did was select SSL for both sending and receiving and filled in the dialogue box about SMTP validation; I would think there are similar buttons/boxes in Evolution that you can check and everything will be done for you automatically.

What about the changes to the SMTP and POP3 port addresses?

Haven't made the manual changes yet to my Virgin email addresses. I just received a reminder email from Virgin, telling me that I hadn't run the wizard yet. They appear to be tracking. I didn't bother with the wizard as it probably only works for Windows or Mac stuff, maybe thunderbird.

Having been reminded more than once, I guess at some point the old port addresses will no longer work.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    What about the changes to the SMTP and POP3 port addresses?

Haven't made the manual changes yet to my Virgin email addresses. I just received a reminder email from Virgin, telling me that I hadn't run the wizard yet. They appear to be tracking. I didn't bother with the wizard as it probably only works for Windows or Mac stuff, maybe thunderbird.

Having been reminded more than once, I guess at some point the old port addresses will no longer work.
    The port addresses are on the smtp and pop3 setup screen when you have the screen before you , you just back out the values and type in the new ones. I am talking here of kmail and evolution.

The wizard is only for Windows. They know you haven't made the changes because you are still accessing them through the old settings. As soon as you make the settings changes in evolution or kmail all will be fine.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

You don't have to change the POP3 addresses for your existing email; they will continue to work for the time being. But you do need to use the SSL connection.

For the moment, you can continue to use your existing SMTP without SSL; however, a friend found a problem with it: because this is not an authenticated email, some servers will not accept emails from it. So, you would be better changing the SMTP address and settings to virginmedia.com using SSL and server authentication; as far as I remember, the SMTP password they use is the same as your main POP3 account.

If you want to use your new virginmedia.com address or any new mailboxes you have created. just add these to your list of receiving accounts.

I set up new virginmedia addresses and continue to receive email from both new and old addresses; whenever I get someone using the old address, I tell them the new address.

Finally, note that all spam goes in the spam folder. So, if you are using POP3, you may find it worthwhile going on webmail to check the spam folder from time to time.

Techwiz03, you write:
    "The port addresses are on the smtp and pop3 setup screen". But I cannot find this screen. Could you walk me through the procedure to find it? I go through Edit, Preferences, Accounts and get the set up information for both sending and receiving, but cannot find the ports! Where are they?
    Also, John, I don't want a VirginMedia account, since it would mean having to reprint business cards at great expense, so need my @ virgin.net account.
    By the way, if you don't implement ALL the various changes outlined by Virgin (including changing the ports), your email doesn't work. Believe me, I tried!

@techwiz03, I personally don't have any difficulties updating account settings for any respectable email client. I was more interested to see if john hudson had experienced any issues with the changes of port addresses. The OP may find your comments useful though.

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    You don't have to change the POP3 addresses for your existing email; they will continue to work for the time being. But you do need to use the SSL connection.
    Yes, but my point was that as we don't know the timescale, "change now" should be a better tactic and advice.

The rest of the follow-up information made good sense, thanks for sharing it.

. . . but cannot find the ports! Where are they?
    I don't know but simply checking SSL for sending and receiving should be enough.

By the way, if you don't implement ALL the various changes outlined by Virgin (including changing the ports), your email doesn't work. Believe me, I tried!
    I was thinking you were on ntl which is the latest to have been changed. If you are on virgin.net which I understood began the changeover a long time ago, you may be coming to the end of the support for virgin.net. But don't quote me on that.

Anyway to explain the process as it has happened with blueyonder and ntl; the first step was to set up the virginmedia servers on Google. This involved offering people new email addresses and email options; but all virginmedia accounts have to be accessed using SSL.

At this point you could continue to access your existing accounts without any changes. Next SSL was implemented on existing accounts when it was optional. I in fact ran the new and old accounts in parallel for several months without changing the old account settings.

Then I was advised to change the old account settings to SSL. So I now have all accounts using SSL with server authentication for SMTP.

At some unspecified time in the future, I understand that the old accounts will be turned off.

If, as you say, you have to implement all the changes, that suggests you are a long way along the changeover - or that Virgin is trying to put pressure on people to shift away from the old accounts. Perhaps because I have been using virginmedia accounts from the start of the changeover while still using the old accounts, Virgin are letting me get on with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast