Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remote login

Default Re: Remote login

my original question was, is there any way to setup PC1 and PC2 so that when you turn them on you dont have to manually change the session type to remote. now i have remote login working, but you have to manually select remote login.

sorry for any missunderstanding, i'm not very good at explaining myself.

Well, that is the second part, where I said:
    For the client side you need xdmsc which is in the OSS repository.

There are some flaws in the SDB l refer to. The runlevel mentioned should be 3 instead of 2 (it is done correct in your /etc/inittab).

When you still think you want to go for this, I would like to discuss the installation of PC1 and PC2.
    To begin with I would not even install a desktop on them. That is during intallation I would choose for a system that has graphics (X), but no desktop. Also I would create one user for administrative puposes (you are of course that user, but do not use the same user as the one for your day to day work on Main, if you are also one of the regular users there). Of course the other users do not get a username on PC1 and PC2.

That system would offer you no graphics login at all. To be checked at this stage: the line containing the word initdefault in /etc/inittab should be
    Code:
    id:3:initdefault:
    When there is a 5 there, change into 3 and reboot.

Install the package xdmsc from OSS repos.

Edit /etc/sysconfig/xdmsc to contain:
    Code:
    START_RX="yes"
    RX_XDMCP="query"
    RX_RHOST="Main.your.domain"
    where Main.your.domain must of course be replaced with the full qualified hostname as known on your network.

Then I would remove the # at the beginning of the following line in /etc/inittab:
    Code:
    #7:3:respawn:+/etc/init.d/rx tty7
    and do a
    Code:
    telinit q
    to make it active.

As I am typing this here from theory, whenever you have questions or errors, please report back and see if I can help.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by Damo990 View Post
    my original question was, is there any way to setup PC1 and PC2 so that when you turn them on you dont have to manually change the session type to remote. now i have remote login working, but you have to manually select remote login.

sorry for any missunderstanding, i'm not very good at explaining myself.
    And to go back one step:
    What do you mean with "manualy select remote login". How is that done?
    Henk van Velden

manually select by clicking session type down the bottom and choosing remote.

i think i understand what your suggesting with the install but because of the course rules i have to have a full installation on each computer.

i'm begining to think that just writing a quick note for users telling them how to login may be a better alternative

Blog Entries

You might be able to configure xdm/gdm/kdm or whatever DM you are using to not display the local login options and go straight to the remote host chooser or even a particular host. I don't know the details, but there are lots of config options in /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config. Bear in mind that if you succeed, you have to undo it using a CLI login as you will have lost the local GUI login.

Failing that you may be able to substitute a DM from a project like LTSP (Thin Client Project) where the only available hosts are remote.

Reading how you flow of working is now I understand for the first time what you mean with "default login". It seems that the possibillity to use XDMCP is allready there.

I could not find a config file for kdm where this can be done. I did found /etc/kde4/kdm, but there is only a background definition there. Also I am afraid there is some lack of documentation on the system (no man pge). But there is The kdm Handbook. Maybe you will find your solution there.

But you could change to xdm (in YaST > System > /ect/sysconfig editor and then displaymanager + DISPLAYMANAGER. And for xdm there is a big man page as documentation. I did not study it extensive, but assume it can be configured to your liking. This is the direction ken_yap points to.

I had more the idea to start from the beginning (what do you want and how would I do that, starting from the installation of the systems), while you where more going in the direction of what you have (installed without any ideas about the future use) and how to mould that into what you want now. Thus our discussion may have gone in the blue now and them. Sorry for that.

EDIT: found /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc

EDIT 2: And ther I found:
    Code:
    # Specify whether the greeter of local displays should start up in host chooser
    # (remote) or login (local) mode and whether it is allowed to switch to the
    # other mode.
    # "LocalOnly" - only local login possible
    # "DefaultLocal" - start up in local mode, but allow switching to remote mode
    # "DefaultRemote" - ... and the other way round
    # "RemoteOnly" - only choice of remote host possible
    # Default is LocalOnly
    LoginMode=DefaultLocal
    Is that what you are looking for?
    Last edited by hcvv; 10-Jun-2010 at 03:25.
    Henk van Velden

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12