KDE dialogues slouch

Hello gentlefolks,

I’m hoping one of you could help me resolve a problem:

Many of my (I’M ASSUMING) KDE menus, sometimes for no apparent reason, become VERY unresponsive.

With MS Windoze, these windows would be program specific/independent, however they would also share some commonality in windoze’s window displaying mechanism… (part of “explorer”)

I’ve concluded (perhaps erroneously) based on their simmilarity in looks / layout, and the PROBLEM BEHAVIOUR described below, that they’re intrinsic to each other and KDE.

Now, the menus affected are those menu’s you get when, for example:
-In opera, clicking, Page >> save.
-In open office, clicking File >> save / save as.
-In Amarok, pressing CTRL+O, (or clicking “Amarok + play media”)
-In Firefox, clicking File >> open.

These are just some examples - but you get the general idea from them.
They are menu’s / windows which access the system filesystem / filetree in some way. They also look very much alike and serve simmilar purposes.

Now the behaviour:

They’re SLOOOW. To go up the tree for example, you’ll have = loading icon, and a LOONG, unresponsive wait,
To open a folder is the same thing.
The cursor in the file name feild blinks SLOW.
Clicking on any icon is SLOW.
It feels sort’ve like a really buggy windoze machine, that has older gen hardware, and is infected by malware, and has a fragmented HDD.

Strangely enough - other times, all the said menus work FLAWLESSLY.

SO - thats the scenario. Any Ideas Folks?

Thanks

Possibly some process in the background eating CPU.

You could open a terminal and run top. When the problem arises see if something is eating CPU.

Also have you installed the propritary driver for your video card/chip. If so what brand and model.

Well, I can almost guarantee nothing is in the background eating up cycles - but I’ll take a ss just to prove it.

I’m using a generic PCI VGA adapter card.
Its a Virge Dx/GX card. (yes, highly retro, I know! :p)

Update:
Maximum cpu usage during one such event was 8%…

Ok does it happen if you create a new user. Maybe a miss configuration in one of the KDE config files.

Ok - I’ll try making a new user, and open up some of those menus to test.

I’ll let you know.
Thanks

OK gogalthorp.

What I’ve found is that I CANNOT manage to replicate the behavior under this new account.
I’ll try some more - but at the very least I can say, it happens FAAAR less.

I’ve tried all the listed programs, and none of them gave me that behaviour.
(it was also much quicker than my user account behaves - even when its working @ best).

Any Ideas?

The result suggests it’s somewhere in your /home/YOURUSERNAME/.kde4 folder. And since it’s a graphics performance issue, I would say that the origin is in your plasma configuration. The commands below, will move those to a folder called “SAVED_PLASMA_FILES”, and require the recreation of the desktop’s appearance. Log out and do:
Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1, you’ll see the console, login with username and password

mkdir ~/.kde4/share/config/SAVED_PLASMA_FILES
mv ~/.kde4/share/config/plasm* ~/.kde4/share/config/SAVED_PLASMA_FILES
exit

Now hit Ctrl-Alt-F7 to return to the login screen, login and first test the mentioned apps if the phenomenon has disappeared. If so, let us know, and reapply the desktop appearance of your choice.

Hello.
Thanks much for the response (I’ve only just today recovered my internet connection).

I’ll try your suggestions, and let you know.