Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Java Plugin for firefox

Default Java Plugin for firefox

Hi

I've opensuse 11.2 and I have all java packages installed, but Java Plugin for firefox doesn't work.
    I'm getting this error:
    Code:
    [B]gcjwebplugin error: Failed to run /etc/alternatives/../../bin/java.  For more detail rerun "firefox -g" in a terminal window.
    Code:
    upiter@linux-yalp:~> firefox -g
    upiter@linux-yalp:~> gcjwebplugin error: Failed to run /etc/alternatives/../../bin/java.  For more detail rerun "firefox -g" in a terminal window.
    Howto solve this problem?

Default Re: Java Plugin for firefox

Code:
    # update-alternatives --all

There is only 1 program which provides jce_1.6.0_sun_local_policy
    (/usr/lib/jvm-private/java-1_6_0-sun/jce/vanilla/local_policy.jar). Nothing to configure.

There is only 1 program which provides mount.ntfs
    (/sbin/mount.ntfs-3g). Nothing to configure.

There is only 1 program which provides xulrunner
    (/usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.1.9/xulrunner). Nothing to configure.

There are 2 alternatives which provide `java'.

Selection    Alternative
    -----------------------------------------------
    *+        1    /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-openjdk/bin/java
              2    /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun/bin/java

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:

I would select number 2 on your list and ensure that you have installed java-1_6_0-sun-plugin. I would then get rid of the openjdk versions.
    It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.

I've removed openjdk using yast and deleted npwrapper.javaplugin.so in the Konsole:
    Code:
    # cd /usr/lib/browser-plugins/
    # rm npwrapper.javaplugin.so
    Now it seems to work.

ok..
    So I tried what was said.. I made yast install the java-plugin.
    And I have to say.. I'm a total noob when it comes to programming or something like it..
    So. I typed in on Terminal: firefox -g
    I got a new firefox window.

linux-byo4:~ # firefox -g
    *** nss-shared-helper: Shared database disabled (set NSS_USE_SHARED_DB to enable).
    ERROR: Invalid browser function table. Some functionality may be restricted.
    /usr/src/packages/BUILD/icedtea6-1.7.3/plugin/icedteanp/IcedTeaNPPlugin.cc:1427: thread 0x808a0e0: Error: Failed to spawn applet viewer: Failed to execute child process "/etc/alternatives/../../bin/java" (No such file or directory)

wth do I have to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Metalpak View Post
    ok..
    So I tried what was said.. I made yast install the java-plugin.
    And I have to say.. I'm a total noob when it comes to programming or something like it..
    So. I typed in on Terminal: firefox -g
    I got a new firefox window.

wth do I have to do?
    Hi, what version of openSUSE are you using?

Could you please open a terminal and provide the results of (copy and paste the line below):

Code:
    rpm -qa --last "*java*"
    Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Had problems with Firefox and Java too.

Seems to be problems with Openoffice as I had to uninstall Firefox, Openoffice and java.
    Then reinstall Firefox, Openoffice and java-1_6_0-sun.

And it solved my problems

/Tomas

hi !

i have similar problem with my browser firefox, when trying open web page with java support i am getting "gcjwebplugin error"
    i just installed open suse kde version 11.2, the newest version of sun jre is installed...
    help will be appreciated

regards

Since I allowed Firefox to update, I have this problem, too ("gcjwebplugin error"). OpenSUSE 11.2. I tried - reinstall sun java and reinstall Firefox 3.5.10 via Yast2.

Now I get:

firefox -g
    *** nss-shared-helper: Shared database disabled (set NSS_USE_SHARED_DB to enable).
    *** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: /usr/lib/browser-plugins/javaplugin.so: undefined symbol: __gxx_personality_v0
    *** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: /usr/lib/browser-plugins/javaplugin.so: undefined symbol: __gxx_personality_v0
    *** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: failed to initialize plugin-side RPC client connection
    *** NSPlugin Wrapper *** WARNING/usr/src/packages/BUILD/nspluginwrapper-1.2.2/src/npw-wrapper.c:3156):invoke_NP_Initialize: assertion failed: (rpc_method_invoke_possible(g_rpc_connection))
    *** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: failed to initialize plugin-side RPC client connection
    *** NSPlugin Wrapper *** WARNING/usr/src/packages/BUILD/nspluginwrapper-1.2.2/src/npw-wrapper.c:3156):invoke_NP_Initialize: assertion failed: (rpc_method_invoke_possible(g_rpc_connection))

(...infinite...)

and:

/usr/sbin/update-alternatives --display javaplugin
    javaplugin - status is auto.
    link currently points to /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so
    /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so - priority 1617
    Current `best' version is /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so.

This last looks wrong to me, but I'm not sure.

What I did to fix it:
    1) Remove all parts of openjava/openjdk (using Yast2).
    2) re-install sun java
    3) reinstall Firefox 3.5.10
    4) sudo mv /usr/lib/browser-plugins/npwrapper.javaplugin.so /usr/lib/browser-plugins/npwrapper.javaplugin.so.bak

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast