Thread: Installing openSUSE without a cd

Default Installing openSUSE without a cd

Hi, I bought a new laptop the other day without an OS, tried to install openSUSE via usb (using unetbootin), but came across the problem of 11.1 not supporting it and asking for the livecd.

I had a quick look 'round the internet, decided the easiest way to do it would be to install another distro first via unetbootin and then see what I can do from there. So, installed Ubuntu 10.4.

Now that I can actually use the laptop I figured easiest way - unetbootin via a hard drive install. Problem is, when it reboots it goes straight into Ubuntu. I figure there's some problem with grub but being fairly new to all this am not entirely certain how to go about fixing it.

I then found out that newer versions of openSUSE that aren't on unetbootin by default support USB installs, so I downloaded the latest version, put that onto the USB via unetbootin, and rebooted the laptop. It didn't boot straight into Ubuntu this time, it gave me the normal unetbootin menu but when I try and install it searches for USB drives, and CD drives, and decides it can't find any, then reboots. How can it not find the USB drive that it's running off? I'm confused.

Any ideas?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Installing openSUSE without a cd

Try doing this from Ubuntu

Format the USB device to FAT

then dd the image like this. Make sure you unmount the usb, identify it in fdisk as sdb, sdc, sdd or whatever it is

then with a terminal in the location of the SUSE .iso do this

Code:
    dd if=image.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M;sync
    (replace image.iso with the real .iso name) (and sdb with the actual device of your usb)

Here is a suse guide
    Live USB stick - openSUSE
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Thanks, that fixed it! ^^

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrael View Post
    Thanks, that fixed it! ^^
    Excellent news
    Leap 15_KDE