Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skype and 11.2

Default Re: Skype and 11.2

Hello all,

Well, I've got the **** thing working but I have absolutely no idea how or why!

I did an update of the package (forced) but that made no difference. I then installed the latest beta release from Skype itself.

That was worse in that it didn't capture my webcam.

So.... I un-installed that and then found every single file that bore a skype name and deleted them. I re-installed from the SuSE repo.

I was able to make the test call but no mic input. Changed that to the "default" option in skype and then it ran.

Called my daughter and, after fiddling with the mic level a bit, it went well.

Selecting "chat" crashed skype.

Seems like skype for us is real flakey, I mean *real* flakey. They seem to favour the Ubuntu boys (pulse-audio) for some reason, maybe them boys give more input. I don't know.

There's still no response from the skype site itself and there really doesn't seem to be any way of asking for help except through their forum which seems to be deserted.

To all of you a big kiitos - thank you. It was your response and input that actually kept me trying. I honestly believe that therin lies the real power and value of "The Community".

Thanks again and goodnight. I only hope that I will be able, someday, to be able to contribute.

Cheers - AK

I find this strange Skype worked for me out of the box and I'm running 64bit Suse which was always a problem until 11.2.

Hi all.

Not sure why but a reply sent yesterday has not appeared here so will try again.

In short, the thing is working at the moment!

I updated everything suggested (forced update) but that didn't help.

I then installed the beta from skype site and, not only did _it_ not work but it couldn't see my webcam. The "README" file also contains a list as long as your arm of things that don't work properly - including that the webcam wont work with the newer driver that I have.

I uninstalled it and then deleted every single file that contained the string "skype" and installed skype again from the SuSE repo.

I found that in skype, I had to configure speakers, ringing and mic to "default" otherwise the mic didn't work.

Sadly, since nothing was found, I have no idea why it failed to work originally. I am still getting those messages from ALSA so I have no idea what was breaking it before.

It does seem that the GNU/Linux port of skype is still very very flakey.

Thanks to you all for the input. It was that that kept me going trying to find a way to get this to work and convinces me that this is the real power for "The Community".

I only hope that I will be able to help as much sometime in the future.

Cheers - AK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12