How update VirtualBox to 3.2?

I’m trying to update VirtualBox but I’m getting a few problems:

1. When I go into YAST, it doesn’t show any other versions available (just 3.0.x)

2. When I download the rpm from the website, I keep getting some insanely long error that says something about NOKEY perhaps? (It’s a long error that gets cut off by the screen height)

Anyone know what I should do?

Install one way or the other. If you intend to install manually, delete VBox in Yast Software Manager and remove the repo.

Download the .rpm
Downloads - VirtualBox

Guide
Virtual Box (Sun Version) Install HowTo - openSUSE Forums

While you can probably install from the repo, and I’ll leave it for somebody else to describe, this time I did it by downloading the RPM. Note that 3.2 is actually a different product from 3.1 because the names of the packages are really VirtualBox-3.1 and VirtualBox-3.2 respectively. As it should be because this is a new series. So if you just try to install the 3.2 RPM rpm will say there is a conflict. What you have to do is rpm -e VirtualBox-3.1 then rpm -i VirtualBox-3.2-blah-blah.rpm. Don’t worry, it won’t kill your VM instances.

If you are installing 3.2 from scratch, you need the usual dependencies: gcc, make, pam-devel, kernel-source, etc., etc. so that the VirtualBox init script can build a new kernel module.

ken yap wrote:

>
> While you can probably install from the repo, and I’ll leave it for
> somebody else to describe, this time I did it by downloading the RPM.
> Note that 3.2 is actually a different product from 3.1 because the names
> of the packages are really VirtualBox-3.1 and VirtualBox-3.2
> respectively. As it should be because this is a new series. So if you
> just try to install the 3.2 RPM rpm will say there is a conflict. What
> you have to do is rpm -e VirtualBox-3.1 then rpm -i
> VirtualBox-3.2-blah-blah.rpm. Don’t worry, it won’t kill your VM
> instances.
>
> If you are installing 3.2 from scratch, you need the usual
> dependencies: gcc, make, pam-devel, kernel-source, etc., etc. so that
> the VirtualBox init script can build a new kernel module.

Same song and dance with Yast - it shows 3.2 as a separate app so I quit
until I had time to mess with it. Strange that it doesn’t work as a
version update, but zypper doesn’t show it as available until you install
it so I geuss they want to treat it as a new app rather than a version
upgrade. One note from the VB web site: 3.2 changes the virtual disk
containers so don’t rush in w/o good backups - looks like it’s a one-way
street.

Will Honea

There’s always the Virtualbox repository from Sun:

Index of /virtualbox/rpm/opensuse/11.2/

When you install Virtualbox-3.2, YaST will remove 3.1 for you.

I haven’t been too happy with 3.2, though, and it seems a lot of other users are having issues. You might want to wait and skip this version…

It may be better to install Virtual Box 3.2.0 from the OBS repo instead of the Oracle’s (the OBS version fixes kernel module loading errors):

Index of /repositories/Virtualization/openSUSE_11.2

But does the OBS version now automatically recompile the module when the kernel is updated, or do you have to wait for the repo to catch up whenever a kernel update is issued? That was my main gripe with the OBS repo, so I’m willing to install the bulky kernel-source package to always have something working soon. Other people may also want the features that only the PUEL version has, not me though.