Light, KDE 4 based distribution

I want to install kde4 on an old machine with PIII 460 MHz,256 MB RAM system,with separate graphics card with 8MB RAM of it’s own(a SiS card).I like kde4,so want to use kde4.

Opensuse is not so light or fast.I have tried Sidux,but did not like it.Chakra does not seem to have reached finality.

I know about Puppy,DSL,Slitaz and others.But I do not want them on this PC as this is meant for my children,who I want to expose to the best features in Linux.

I think I should stay with a major distribution as that gives chance of updates / upgrades.Does anybody know any other spin of any major distribution?How is Kubuntu and it’s performance?By what I have heard about it’s package management,discourages me.I am open for RAM enhancement, but SDRAM is more expensive here than DRAM!

I want to install kde4 on an old machine with PIII 460 MHz,256 MB RAM system,with separate graphics card with 8MB RAM of it’s own(a SiS card).I like kde4,so want to use kde4.

Well, for a start I would recommend more RAM. (512MB minimum, 1GB if possible). This will give you the biggest performance increase. (AFAIK, KDE4 is actually lighter than KDE3.5.X was).

I’m sure that many would encourage you not to use such a heavy-weight desktop (Gnome, KDE), but choose LXDE instead.

Don’t expect too much from your graphics card either - no desktop effects, limited games compatibility.

Running a modern, KDE4 based distro on a system like this, will IMHO make your children to linux haters. The minimum requirements for openSUSE are a 1000MHz CPU, 512 MB RAM. Maybe a text based install procedure will install 11.2 on the system, but I see a big issue with the videocard. That’s not going to play most of today’s games in KDE4.
Specs for kUbuntu and the other ‘bigger distros’ are about the same.

Most lightweight distros have lightweight desktop environments. I’ve managed to get KDE4 running on a 1000 MHz, 256 MB machine, user decided it was time for a new machine after two weeks. With KDE4 though.

If you want your children to enjoy linux, buy a cheap system without OS and install 11.2 on it. My kids have Sempron 3000s with cheap NVIDIA cards ( around € 200 / machine). Does almost anything available for them.

sounds good to me ;):|:’(

Where are you located PB? I have some old mem sticks lying about, & I am sure other forum users could visit their attics/sheds/dens and dig some out. If postage to where you are is cheap… What exact memory do you need (Post MB make/model if you don’t know)

That is great wakou.I could not make out your place from profile.I am in Bangalore,India.

I am looking at LXDE distro. I was unable to find any opensuse based lxde though.I will miss KDE and Yast if I need to go with lubuntu or mint.

Thanks all.

I am in London UK, what model mainboard are you going to use?
(what about kubuntu?)

I am looking at LXDE distro. I was unable to find any opensuse based lxde though.I will miss KDE and Yast if I need to go with lubuntu or mint.

SuSE - LXDE.org

You can have your cake and eat it too! :slight_smile: